View Full Version : M1 Garand, simple questions

01-11-2006, 8:33 PM
I recently came into an M1 Garand by way of my Grandfather. The rifle is in great shape, but according to Pappy, there was some issues with it last time it was fired. As he put it "there is some problems with the monkey motion" Thats Papy speak for some thing in the action. He was telling me that there were some feeding issues and some ejection issues. This will be my first Garand and I was wondering what kinda small shopping list I can put together for these issues. Basically, what is common for replacement parts for these malfunctions? Im thinking ejector...extractor.. ETC. Also, a reputable online M1 shope would be great. I dont know of any.

01-11-2006, 9:12 PM
Jouster's Garand forum might be a better place to ask.

Tweaked op rods can cause lots of problems.

Sgt Raven
01-11-2006, 9:17 PM
Try it with some mil spec M2 '06 ammo. My tanker garand choked on Federal red box but runs fine on mil spec ammo.

01-11-2006, 9:29 PM
If you live around Cupertino stop by Kerley's Hunting & Fishing at 20301 Stevens Creek blvd on Sat or Sun and talk to Craig. He knows about everything there is to know about the Garand.

number is 408-255-1920, call first to make sure he's there.

01-11-2006, 9:58 PM
my monkey caused all kids of ftf and fte problems i could maybe get 2 rounds out without having to play with it ... replaced ejector spring.. now it works 100%

01-11-2006, 10:53 PM
my monkey caused all kids of ftf and fte problems i could maybe get 2 rounds out without having to play with it ... replaced ejector spring.. now it works 100%

lol.. i guess my mind is in the gutter.:)

glad you are ready to go shooter:D

01-11-2006, 10:57 PM
mine too...:D

M1A Rifleman
01-12-2006, 6:15 AM
Get your self some good GI clips as poor clips will cause problems. The Operating Rod spring, being worn out, will also casue some of the issues described.

01-14-2006, 9:33 AM
For Garand parts you can trust Bill Ricca www.billricca.com Orion7 www.m1garandrifle.com as for spare parts.. get the Orion7 stainless steel op rod spring.. also having a spare extractor, extractor spring and detent and ejector spring and plunger is good... along with a spare firing pin or 2 Also get Scott duff's 'The M1 Garand Owners Guide' excellent book on trouble shooting dis-assembly and assembly. Watch out though!! Theses Garands are VERRRRRRRY addicting!! I got my first one in 200 and now I have 28 of them!!!

01-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for everyones help on this. I will replace the springs and take a look at the op rod to ensure its not bent.

oh and....28 garands??? Sheesh. :)

01-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Actually the op rod is suppose to have a bend in it...

01-15-2006, 10:32 PM
i would think you could just replace all the major springs of your Garand.....

I has some of the same problems with mine so i started replacing all the springs till the problem stopped..

I got all of my springs from Fulton Armory. they have a great selection of M! garand parts and springs... if you have the money you could mail your rifle to them and have them fix it up for you. they have a service that will cost about $200. they will check the whole gun out replace any or all the springs and anything else that is not functioning properly.

here is their address: www.fultonarmory.com

i hope this helps!!!!

oh yea...i almost forgot.....congratulations for joining the ever so costly world of M1 Garands. i got so hooked on them I became a Mil-surplus collector!!!!!!

Patrick M.

01-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Check, on the op rod having a bend to it :)
Im a milsurp guy to but rather new to it. I only have 3 milsurps including the Garand. An M1 Carbine, a K98, and the Garand. Thanks for all the help guys. I will be sure to post pics up of it once I get it to the range and operating correctly.