PDA

View Full Version : FBI Study: Criminals Laugh at Gun Laws, Practice More Than LEOs

CABilly
02-05-2010, 8:07 PM
Taken from here. (http://www.youroptimal.com/blog/2010/01/21/gangstas-and-guns-tactical-tips-from-the-fbi/) (I'm not sure of the source, it's the first I've encountered this site.)

He's citing this FBI study (http://www.pdsdc.org/Resources/SLD/Violent%20Encounters,%20A%20Study%20of%20Felonious %20Assaults%20on%20Our%20Nation%27s%20Law%20Enforc ement%20Officers%20by%20DOJ.pdf). There's a more thorough summary here (http://www.forcescience.org/fsinews/2006/12/new-findings-from-fbi-about-cop-attackers-their-weapons/).

Here's the juiciest part, IMO:Weapon Choice
Handguns, obtained illegally in street transactions or thefts.
In contrast to media myth, none of the firearms in the study was obtained from gun shows.
What was available "was the overriding factor in weapon choice".
None of the attackers interviewed was "hindered by any law–federal, state or local–that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership.
The gangsta’s in the study "just laughed at gun laws".

Purple K
02-05-2010, 8:18 PM
Gee... what a surprise! Nice to see them admit it!

cbn620
02-05-2010, 8:22 PM
Most of the higher ups in law enforcement at every level have admitted it. Even people in the federal government in general have admitted it. The numbers and statistics don't lie here. Politicians are the only ones who want to lie about it, and soccer mom organizations slurp it from their palms.

bigcalidave
02-06-2010, 12:56 AM
The study group in the OP article is FAR too small, statistics aren't valid for much. But the part about 80% of the criminals surveyed practice shooting twice a month or more is probably a decent estimate.

halifax
02-06-2010, 4:33 AM
The study group in the OP article is FAR too small, statistics aren't valid for much. But the part about 80% of the criminals surveyed practice shooting twice a month or more is probably a decent estimate.

Aren't these gangstas usually city boys? Where are they practicing twice a month? Maybe LE needs to hangout at ranges with facial recognition equipment.

YubaRiver
02-06-2010, 6:50 AM
Aren't these gangstas usually city boys? Where are they practicing twice a month? Maybe LE needs to hangout at ranges with facial recognition equipment.

While out hiking and mountain biking near Truckee and Reno
I've seen gangsta's or wannabe's practice on Forest and BLM land.
They drive up, crack open a window, and start shooting at random objects.

Practicing for drive bys I guess.

yellowfin
02-06-2010, 7:20 AM
^ That probably does some really bad hearing damage. Don't know if they care.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 7:21 AM
^ That probably does some really bad hearing damage. Don't know if they care.

Unlike the 3Kw of music running full blast on 14" subwoofers......

Fate
02-06-2010, 7:24 AM

The hood IS the shooting range. Not that hard for someone to pop off 10-20 rounds and vanish in those neighborhoods. Especially when police response time is "never."

dirtnap
02-06-2010, 7:25 AM
Unlike the 3Kw of music running full blast on 14" subwoofers......

no 14" car subs that I'm aware of....I had 3 15" subs in my cadillac, but the only 14" I have seen are for home audio.

snobord99
02-06-2010, 7:32 AM
The hood IS the shooting range. Not that hard for someone to pop off 10-20 rounds and vanish in those neighborhoods. Especially when police response time is "never."

This.

I know for a fact that in at least one neighborhood, they were "practicing" in the backyard hours before they killed a cop. There was no police response to the "practice" because no one in the neighborhood bothered calling the police.

B Strong
02-06-2010, 8:03 AM
Good catch, but I'm always a little skeptical of "self-reporting" studies, even when I agree with the conclusions, and self-reporting from "gangstas" seems to be a particularly bad methodology.

If we take that approach, the kid in the news report that say's they "can get an Uzi" for $100.00 has credibility.

SteveH
02-06-2010, 8:18 AM

Riverbeds, abandoned industrial buildings, greenbelts. Doesnt take long to fire off a couple of mags then drive away long before the police arrive.

HCz
02-06-2010, 9:46 AM
Good catch, but I'm always a little skeptical of "self-reporting" studies, even when I agree with the conclusions, and self-reporting from "gangstas" seems to be a particularly bad methodology.

If we take that approach, the kid in the news report that say's they "can get an Uzi" for $100.00 has credibility.

+1

This was study about incidents that involve officers who lost the fight. What about the officers who won the fight?

dantodd
02-06-2010, 10:08 AM
no 14" car subs that I'm aware of....I had 3 15" subs in my cadillac, but the only 14" I have seen are for home audio.

pardon my ignorance. do 15" subs do a particularly better job of causing deafness?

vantec08
02-06-2010, 10:42 AM
halifax - - - I've seen them in areas where I have been shooting and LEOs avoid them. Like the plague. But have no problem hassling some guy who is alone trying to sight in his "legal" 15.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
halifax - - - I've seen them in areas where I have been shooting and LEOs avoid them. Like the plague. But have no problem hassling some guy who is alone trying to sight in his "legal" 15.

"hassling" a guy sighting in an AR-15 is not likely to cost the LEO his life.

jdogg2000
02-06-2010, 2:17 PM
Anyone ever see that TV program "Gangland"? I remember on one episode they were talking to this gang member from some LA gang and they asked him if they practice shooting. He basically said that they practice by having gunfights with rival gangs lol. I remember hearing before that some gangs supposedly are reloading now hahah. The crazy ammo prices affect them too heheh.

Creeping Incrementalism
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM

On page 7 of the report it says they took 800 reports and chose 40 reports for in-depth analysis. The report is interesting and even covers subjects such as perception and memory of what it is like to be in a gunfight, subtle body language that indicates someone is carrying a handgun in a belt without a holster, how events appear differently to the cop versus innocent bystanders, etc.

I am guessing that the majority of the criminal "practice" is just shooting a mag or two quickly to see if the gun works and to get a feel for the recoil.