PDA

View Full Version : How Young Is Too Young?

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:01 PM
With all the talk of CCW around here. Just wondering what people think is too young for CCW. is 21 too young for a young adult to try and get a CCW?

Or does it need to have a age limit on age and what should the age be?

** CAN A MOD ADD 18+ TO MY POLL ****

ChrisO
02-05-2010, 9:04 PM
I'm 19 and I'm going for my CCW. As long as one can legally own a hand gun I don't see a problem.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:07 PM
I'm 19 and I'm going for my CCW. As long as one can legally own a hand gun I don't see a problem.

i am 21 and plan on getting my out of state ccw permits soon.
Since i live in orange county i know its going to be impossible to get one.
But with my job i believe i might have a pretty good chance.

Telperion
02-05-2010, 9:11 PM
It's 18 in Indiana and civilization hasn't ended there...

ChrisTKHarris
02-05-2010, 9:11 PM
I'm 23, so I voted 23. lol

ChrisO
02-05-2010, 9:13 PM
What job do you have if you don't mind me asking? I am going for my EMT license soon and will be joining the National Guard by summer. Ultimately I am striving for a career in LE and going to school for criminal justice but picking up some stuff on the way. My buddies dad the chief of police here is the one who actually gave me the advice of going for my CCW. I live in a BAD area as well.

MSL209
02-05-2010, 9:16 PM
IMO if you are old enough to enlist and serve/die for your country at 18 then the limit should be 18.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:23 PM
What job do you have if you don't mind me asking? I am going for my EMT license soon and will be joining the National Guard by summer. Ultimately I am striving for a career in LE and going to school for criminal justice but picking up some stuff on the way. My buddies dad the chief of police here is the one who actually gave me the advice of going for my CCW. I live in a BAD area as well.

I am a touring merch coordinator. I have some high profile clients that i work for and deal large amounts of money.

i know you have to go through the city you live in not the city you work.
i work in La and live in orange.
i am going to take the required 16 hours of class's and other classes because i can and then get my out of state for utah and what ever else i can.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:25 PM
IMO if you are old enough to enlist and serve/die for your country at 18 then the limit should be 18.

THIS.

dantodd
02-05-2010, 9:26 PM

This. Plus I suspect that judicially it will be difficult for the state to deny this right to anyone who has reached the age of majority.

pepsi2451
02-05-2010, 9:27 PM
Why isn't 18 an option? I got mine at 23 but I don't see why an 18 year old shouldn't be able to get one.

GuyW
02-05-2010, 9:28 PM
18 as may-issue
21 as shall-issue

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:28 PM
Why isn't 18 an option? I got mine at 23 but I don't see why an 18 year old shouldn't be able to get one.
i couldnt edit the poll option.

*MOD* please add option of 18 to the top of the poll!

Telperion
02-05-2010, 9:41 PM
18 as may-issue
21 as shall-issue

I'm against any application of may-issue. May-issue is so distasteful even if I were in that age group, I'd rather the law make me wait until I could apply under fair and objective rules.

As I said upthread, Indiana has shall issue at age 18 and the world hasn't ended there. In light of Federal law that says 18-20 year olds cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL, those under 21 who want to carry in a state like Indiana effectively need an adult sponsor to obtain a sidearm.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 9:42 PM
I'm against any application of may-issue. May-issue is so distasteful even if I were in that age group, I'd rather the law make me wait until I could apply under fair and objective rules.

As I said upthread, Indiana has shall issue at age 18 and the world hasn't ended there. In light of Federal law that says 18-20 year olds cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL, those under 21 who want to carry in a state like Indiana effectively need an adult sponsor to obtain a sidearm.

that makes alot of sense to me and I love indiana.

rero360
02-05-2010, 9:54 PM
18 years old, I was 22 when I got mine and that was just because I was a slacker in getting it. Ok, I actually was working nights and was never awake when their office was open for that first year lol.

Saym14
02-05-2010, 9:56 PM
phschologists will tell you that young males brains are not fully mature until 23 to 25.

Lifeofahero
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the current age limit in CA?

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the current age limit in CA?

i believe it is 21. but if no one can get them i dont think it really matters.

bigstick61
02-05-2010, 11:06 PM
18. No less. In some States the carry age is actually under 18, or there is no age limit. When I lived in Vermont I found out that the law actually says concealed or open carry of a handgun is okay for 16+ and for any age if someone 16+ is supervising (and it doesn't matter who the supervisor is). For long guns there was no age limit. The world certainly hadn't ended there.

cbn620
02-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I'd say 18. Might consider 16 with adult permission. Isn't it that way in Vermont, except you don't even need a permit?

Either way, the youngest on your poll is 21+ and I say 18. So I can't vote on this one.

cbn620
02-05-2010, 11:15 PM
18. No less. In some States the carry age is actually under 18, or there is no age limit. When I lived in Vermont I found out that the law actually says concealed or open carry of a handgun is okay for 16+ and for any age if someone 16+ is supervising (and it doesn't matter who the supervisor is). For long guns there was no age limit. The world certainly hadn't ended there.

Yep, that's what I thought.

forgiven
02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
18 yrs

bigstick61
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I think in Wyoming there is no age limit for any carry. Personally, I'm fine with people under 18 carrying if they've shown themselves to be responsible. In Vermont I actually saw kids that were probably in junior high carrying rifles to go plinking in the woods, with a couple of high schoolers that also had pistols. A local cop stopped to say hello and just said to be careful. I had never seen anything like that here in California. People there were very relaxed about guns and kids seemed to be quite responsible with them. I didn't feel uncomfortable plinking next to those kids. I think something many people today do not realize was that during much of the first half of the 20th century (and of course before it) there were no age limit laws, and kids did just fine with guns. It all comes down to parenting and how prevalent the gun culture is. When guns were more out in public it seems that people were also less concerned with kids shooting. Nowadays some people will panic at the very thought of someone under 18 shooting.

dantodd
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
phschologists will tell you that young males brains are not fully mature until 23 to 25.

Women will tell you 40.

nick
02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
18, probably lower.

Glock22Fan
02-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I am a touring merch coordinator. I have some high profile clients that i work for and deal large amounts of money.

i know you have to go through the city you live in not the city you work.
i work in La and live in orange.
i am going to take the required 16 hours of class's and other classes because i can and then get my out of state for utah and what ever else i can.

Utah, if you visit Washington State, OR Florida if you visit Florida. Each of these covers something like 28 states, and 27 of those are are the same for both of them, so you don't need both unless you regularly visit both Washington and Florida. Neither of them requires 16 hours of training (but Utah does require a Utah recognized instructor, you may find that the OC recognized training won't do it). If you regularly visit other states, maybe theirs if they are not covered by Utah/Florida (I have Utah and Nevada, and only got Nevada after they stopped recognizing Utah).

I don't advise collecting anything beyond these. Could actually count against you if a Ca CCW application interview asked about them, as it makes you look like a mall ninja if you cannot justify needing them.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Utah, if you visit Washington State, OR Florida if you visit Florida. Each of these covers something like 28 states, and 27 of those are are the same for both of them, so you don't need both unless you regularly visit both Washington and Florida. Neither of them requires 16 hours of training. If you regularly visit other states, maybe theirs if they are not covered by Utah/Florida (I have Utah and Nevada, and only got Nevada after they stopped recognizing Utah).

I don't advise collecting anything beyond these. Could actually count against you if a Ca CCW application interview asked about them, as it makes you look like a mall ninja if you cannot justify needing them.

considering i visit each and every state minus hawaii and alaska more than once a year. i travel by bus and plane a lot during the year. When working for certain people i would be visiting some states that i would need their ccw's.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Might want to go to Nevada, there are instructors there who do NV and FL, I think they might do UT also, all in one session.

KING_PALM
02-06-2010, 12:28 AM
To the 10 or so people who voted 25+ what makes you say that you should be that age to CCw when i myself am under the age of 25 and want to protect myself just as much the next guy.

pitchbaby
02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I would have voted for 18 if it were an option. If your old enough to die for this country, your old enough to protect yourself when your "IN" this country.

I haven't read this thread, so if anyone else said this.... great minds think alike, but so do lousy one's..... LOL!

pitchbaby
02-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Might want to go to Nevada, there are instructors there who do NV and FL, I think they might do UT also, all in one session.

I obtained my NV and Utah by one instructor in Reno. Her training also qualified me for Florida. I think WA is covered by the Utah. The only one I would need to get separate out this way is the Oregon. I only have Nevada cause Utah is no longer recognized there, and I am often in Reno... I got the Utah for it's reciprocity and because I have family I visit out there frequently.

If you want that instructor's number. Feel free to PM me. You'd need to spend a night in Reno, but there is no shortage of cheap hotels and decent buffet's in Reno.... LOL!

pitchbaby
02-06-2010, 12:50 AM
One thing to note.... if you go to NV for the class... you can carry concealed in your rental car as long as the gun is not "On your person" and is holstered.

KING_PALM
02-06-2010, 12:52 AM
I obtained my NV and Utah by one instructor in Reno. Her training also qualified me for Florida. I think WA is covered by the Utah. The only one I would need to get separate out this way is the Oregon. I only have Nevada cause Utah is no longer recognized there, and I am often in Reno... I got the Utah for it's reciprocity and because I have family I visit out there frequently.

If you want that instructor's number. Feel free to PM me. You'd need to spend a night in Reno, but there is no shortage of cheap hotels and decent buffet's in Reno.... LOL!

last time i was in reno i drove in from a day off in sparks ,NV.
talk about a bummer

Tweak338
02-06-2010, 12:56 AM

THIS.

As much as I would like to agree.
I gotta say I don't.

Many 18 year olds are still not mature enough.
I would fear if one of them had a CCW.

KING_PALM
02-06-2010, 1:02 AM
As much as I would like to agree.
I gotta say I don't.

Many 18 year olds are still not mature enough.
I would fear if one of them had a CCW.

but they are old enough to be shipped off and fight for our country.
the age is the question and having the proper training and classes would be included with the ccw permit not just get it because its your right type shall issue.

Tweak338
02-06-2010, 1:06 AM
They are indeed old enough to fight, but those few who do fight are mature and disciplined after boot.
For the ones that are not serving, even with proper training and classes. I personally still think 18 is too young.

I think 21 is a perfect age.

but they are old enough to be shipped off and fight for our country.
the age is the question and having the proper training and classes would be included with the ccw permit not just get it because its your right type shall issue.

bigstick61
02-06-2010, 1:17 AM
So legal adults should be denied the right to carry a gun based on arbitrary rules? I can see if it were a privilege, but not a right.

PEBKAC
02-06-2010, 2:00 AM
In principle I'd say 18 period. I'd vote accordingly but...

...personally I think 18 might be pushing it a bit though I might just be jaundiced and cynical...highschool is perhaps not the best place for one to glean favorable impressions of this age-group...I know I certainly did not even when part of said age-group. :rolleyes:

bigcalidave
02-06-2010, 2:04 AM
18. And it shouldn't even be a question for people on this board! We are talking about equal rights, every day. YOUR opinion about 18 yr olds is that they aren't mature enough? Were YOU mature enough at 18? I was. Now I'm 30, and I wouldn't dare tell an 18yr old that I didn't think they were old enough to carry. If the license system even passes strict scrutiny, I will assume that if you are old enough to own a handgun you will be old enough to get a license to carry one. A car is a FAR more deadly weapon, and we allow millions of 16-18 yr olds to drive. The 18yr olds who are interested enough to apply for a license, take the courses, and present themselves to be licensed should absolutely be allowed to.

cbn620
02-06-2010, 2:52 AM
18. And it shouldn't even be a question for people on this board! We are talking about equal rights, every day. YOUR opinion about 18 yr olds is that they aren't mature enough? Were YOU mature enough at 18? I was. Now I'm 30, and I wouldn't dare tell an 18yr old that I didn't think they were old enough to carry. If the license system even passes strict scrutiny, I will assume that if you are old enough to own a handgun you will be old enough to get a license to carry one. A car is a FAR more deadly weapon, and we allow millions of 16-18 yr olds to drive. The 18yr olds who are interested enough to apply for a license, take the courses, and present themselves to be licensed should absolutely be allowed to.

Hear, hear.

KING_PALM
02-06-2010, 10:56 AM

spot on calidave.

Meplat
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Every 16 year old girl should be issued a CCW and a side arm, after passing a psychiatric evaluation.:D

thegratenate
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Interesting debate, odd that it hasn't gone completely off topic by now.

I'll add two cents, My first thought was to say "18 in a may issue capacity", but it occurred to me that other states have already experimented in this area, and it would be foolish to pass up the benefit of experience. Therefore, in the name of more liberty not less, I say that the only restriction on age should be those that limit the acquisition of a handgun, allowing the carry of a loaned or gifted handgun as well. The only thing I would like to add is that any crime committed by an armed minor should be automatically prosecuted as an adult.

Glock22Fan
02-06-2010, 9:09 PM
considering i visit each and every state minus hawaii and alaska more than once a year. i travel by bus and plane a lot during the year. When working for certain people i would be visiting some states that i would need their ccw's.

Fair enough.

i would point out that Utah (or Florida) is five years for something not far over $100 and covers nearly thirty states. To pick up the remaining ten (or thereabouts) Shall Issue states (I don't know if they all issue tonon-residents), you will need another ten (or thereabouts) CCW's. These range in cost - none that I know cheaper than Utah and most dearer. They also vary in duration, for example, I believe the Mass CCW non-resident only lasts a year. You could find yourself forking out a thousand bucks every couple of years - not that I've actually done the maths.

oops
02-06-2010, 9:15 PM
25... younger age with more hours of training..

rabagley
02-06-2010, 9:52 PM
18+

If you can vote or be called to war, you can defend yourself.

I do agree that it may be reasonable for younger people to get more training in order to have the same permit.

oldrifle
02-06-2010, 11:29 PM
One age to drink. One age to enlist in the military. One age to vote. One age to carry a gun. 18!

ChrisO
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM

I agree with you 100% bigcalidave! Very well put! I would also like to add some thoughts to this. How many 18 year olds do you think are going to go out there and apply their selves for a CCW? I'm 19 and like I said going for mine but also 90% of my friends didn't even know what CCW was! I would figure the 18 year old age group if they were interested in getting a CCW to possibly be a bit more mature than others. While their are some immature people out there but there are also immature 21 year olds. What percentage of people in shall issue states even get CCW's? So to some of you guys speculating that every immature 18 year old will want to get a CCW is plain stupid. It's a long time consuming process that most immature people would not want to deal with anyways you have to have some initiative to get out there get off your but and do your research to get a CCW. If it was may issue even for 18+ you would be hard pressed to find very many 18 year olds applying for a CCW or even knowing what they were. I think it would be safe to say the ones that applied their selves and did their HW might be a bit more mature than you think.

N6ATF
02-07-2010, 2:56 PM
Minimum age for operating a deadly vehicle weapon=minimum age for operating a deadly ballistic or edged weapon.

joelberg
02-07-2010, 4:34 PM
Yeah, where is 18 at? Sorry but this poll treats legal adults who can die for their country as children.

Mstrty
02-07-2010, 4:57 PM
From the poll's looks like we have a lot of 18-24 year old's voteing (im profiling)

B Strong
02-07-2010, 6:27 PM

I agree, and I'll also submit that if you're going to allow 18 year olds to vote, that by itself has a greater effect on the public at large than allowing them a carry permit.

JeepsRcool
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah, where is 18 at? Sorry but this poll treats legal adults who can die for their country as children.

X2 I would vote 18, BUT I don't think ANYONE should be required to have a license.

TurboS600
02-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I didn't vote because 18 wasn't on the poll. I think of you are old enough to vote, get sued, die for your country, and take responsibility for your actions, then you should be able to defend yourself from predators out in public.

five.five-six
02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
there is a reason that car rental companys don't rent to people under 25.... your brain is not fully developed till bout then

cbn620
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
there is a reason that car rental companys don't rent to people under 25.... your brain is not fully developed till bout then

According to what? According to who? What do you base this on? Sexual, physical maturity occurs much younger than age 25... Even developmental psychologists would be hesitant to talk about the issue of psychological maturity in such objective terms. There is not a lot of empirical data to say just when psychological maturity occurs anyways.

In my opinion what you're saying is very psychologically immature. Doesn't mean I want to take your rights away. Using the example of car rental companies does not justify this scientifically.

Lead-Thrower
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

I would say that it is different for every individual. I know 12 year olds who are more mature than some 40 year olds. Certain things like car insurance and car rental requirements are based on statistics: the longer someone has their license, the more experience they gain, the less likely they are to have an accident, it has nothing to do with "brain development". Some psychologists might say that the brain is fully mature at 12 or 14...while some others might say it occurs later. Now if someone can come up with statistics showing that 25 year olds with ccw's are much less dangerous than 18 or 21 year olds, then I may be convinced...but until then, I think 18 is sufficiently "mature"...

bambam8d1
02-07-2010, 11:09 PM

haha yes... johnny knoxville and the jackass crew proved that amazingly. once you pass 25 there is a magic switch that matures you. i hate that damn rental car thing... haha I have to wait two more years till I can rent a car when I go to hawaii wth lol

N6ATF
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
haha yes... johnny knoxville and the jackass crew proved that amazingly. once you pass 25 there is a magic switch that matures you. i hate that damn rental car thing... haha I have to wait two more years till I can rent a car when I go to hawaii wth lol

Woah woah woah...

grammaton76 and I discovered that there is an exception to the rule:
Hertz rents to 21+.

I wrote this on my wallet reference card, just to remind me if I ever need a rental NOW, who to call.

bambam8d1
02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Woah woah woah...

grammaton76 and I discovered that there is an exception to the rule:
Hertz rents to 21+.

I wrote this on my wallet reference card, just to remind me if I ever need a rental NOW, who to call.

SWEET!!! haha no more walkin my *** around haha

KING_PALM
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM

i didnt think about it when i was making the poll. once again i will ask a mod to change the poll to include 18+

dantodd
02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
i didnt think about it when i was making the poll. once again i will ask a mod to change the poll to include 18+

Which mod are you asking? Might try M._Sage I think he's on right now.

five.five-six
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I would say that it is different for every individual. I know 12 year olds who are more mature than some 40 year olds. Certain things like car insurance and car rental requirements are based on statistics: the longer someone has their license, the more experience they gain, the less likely they are to have an accident, it has nothing to do with "brain development". Some psychologists might say that the brain is fully mature at 12 or 14...while some others might say it occurs later. Now if someone can come up with statistics showing that 25 year olds with ccw's are much less dangerous than 18 or 21 year olds, then I may be convinced...but until then, I think 18 is sufficiently "mature"...

about 25 yeas old, the center of the bell curve marks a pretty dramatic transition in maturity... ever wonder why the military likes to enlist kids right out of high school?

and yes, car rental companies are going off statistics... a 23 year old is much more likely to get a kick out of pulling the e break at 70MPH or driving on the freeway in 2nd gear in a rental than the average 27 year old

bigcalidave
02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
556 Are you saying that you don't think that anyone under the age of 25 should be allowed to carry a gun? What about OWN a gun, which has the same level of responsibility, since they would have the same access to the gun if they had bad intentions. What about living in a household with guns? Not until they are 25? Until they are mature enough?

Like I said before. Were YOU mature enough at 18 to carry a gun? Do you really think you can make the judgment call that ADULTS from the age of 18-25 should not be allowed to protect themselves? Should the constitution just not apply to them at all?

five.five-six
02-08-2010, 1:25 AM
Were YOU mature enough at 18 to carry a gun?

hell no

I don't think people should be able to drive or vote till 25.... think about all the stupid stuff you used to do when you were that age.... at the time I thought I was real smart and responsible.... now days upon recollection, I just laugh

sorry if you don't like my opinion, but the OP did ask for it

bigcalidave
02-08-2010, 1:47 AM
HAhahahah.. Nevermind then!

When I was 18, I could have fun AND be responsible enough to have guns.

Not drive or vote either? Wow, I think you are in the tiny tiny minority on that one. Isn't this a gun RIGHTS forum?

five.five-six
02-08-2010, 8:34 AM
FWIW, I do think you should be able to drink at any age

KING_PALM
02-08-2010, 9:09 AM
FWIW, I do think you should be able to drink at any age
but not be able to drive or own guns till 25?
:eek::mad::eek:
Young adults want to be able to protect themselves just as much as the Adults.

yellowfin
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
about 25 yeas old, the center of the bell curve marks a pretty dramatic transition in maturity... ever wonder why the military likes to enlist kids right out of high school?

and yes, car rental companies are going off statistics... a 23 year old is much more likely to get a kick out of pulling the e break at 70MPH or driving on the freeway in 2nd gear in a rental than the average 27 year old

Let's put this in a different context, one that it really comes down to in practical matters of practice. If two people are being robbed or threatened with rape, does an 18 year old deserve to die or be raped because they're 18 while the 25 year old deserves to live and walk away unharmed because they're 25? The argument for age is the same argument the antis use for location: if you live in Wyoming you get to defend yourself, but if you're in L.A. you don't. Guess which one gets the bullseye painted on their back saying "Hey criminals, come get me!"

Argue it however you want, that's the result we're really getting. The problem you get is the same, and the people are punished accordingly. It isn't right no matter what "what ifs" you use to put up to it. Person W dies and Person X lives because Politician/Policeman Y decided one can defend against attacks and other can't and Criminal Z knows which is which. Simplified but 100% true.

bigstick61
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm really tired of seeing people attempt to either justify a right or a restriction on a right on utilitarian, scientific, or other similar grounds. If we really want to go that route, we might as well say that we cannot jusify anyone having any rights, because such methods cannot be used to justify them. Rights are a metaphysical concept. Classical liberalism, which justified liberty on utilitarian grounds or took an agnostic approach, failed in its task and became the modern American liberalism we see today, which doesn't have much of anything liberal about it.

If someone is a full, legal adult, there is no justifiable reason to deny them any of their rights (of course, the discussion can go into what activities are rights, but I think it is safe to assume, per this discussion, that defense of one's rights to life, liberty, and property, and keeping and bearing arms, are among those rights). If it is a right you have it, and there is no justifiable way it can be taken from you barring your commission of a crime of such a nature that it warrants it. It matters not whether you are 18, 25, 35, or 80. I would even say someone a bit younger who has demonstrated responsibility could be said to have this right to some extent, as well as someone under 18 who is emancipated and thus responsible for themselves. There are some areas where age restrictions are appropriate for adults, but not when it comes to rights.

five.five-six
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
then we should give them to 4 year olds... they have a right to defend themselves.... well at least by age 11

professionalcoyotehunter
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I believe 18 if you are in the military. But that was not an option.

Uxi
02-08-2010, 4:13 PM
Probably 18. If you're old enough to be enlisted, you should be old enough to legally carry, provided you're not a felon, etc.

Gray Peterson
02-08-2010, 6:27 PM
18 is the highest age the government can set without effecting "strict scrutiny for self defense". Folks, this is elementary: the 21st amendment gave an exceeding amount of authority to the states to deal with alcohol, but they are not allowed to discriminate by gender, race, or anything put down as a "suspect classification", as age is not in this circumstance.

18 years of age all of the way.

http://www.a-human-right.com/s_am18.jpg

bigcalidave
02-08-2010, 6:35 PM
Thank you gray. That's one of the reasons why 18 yr olds CAN own handguns now. Can't purchase them still (for now) but sure can own them. And should be allowed to carry them.