PDA

View Full Version : Examiner.com: Let them drink Starbucks!

Mike Stollenwerk
02-05-2010, 6:18 PM
Please SUBSCRIBE to this column at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner

And DIGG and REDDIT the article at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d5-Let-them-drink-Starbucks

SNIP

examiner.com — So if you are a gun owner, the next time you need a cup a joe, drink at Starbucks. And its OK if you are not open carrying a holstered handgun, but do try to wear some pro-gun paraphernalia like an NRA hat or a "Guns Save Lives" button. And as you saddle up to cash register to get that latte, just look that that barista in the eye and say . . .

postal
02-05-2010, 6:36 PM
That's cool.

Too bad they have the nastiest coffee on the planet.

ChrisO
02-05-2010, 7:18 PM
Hell yeah! I don't like coffee much but when I do have coffee I have starbucks. I find their coffee pretty good and even better now! ;)

Spade421
02-05-2010, 7:38 PM
Sweet !! my local starbucks down the street is where I open carried for my first time

hoffmang
02-05-2010, 7:39 PM
Anyone else find the Starbucks/Brady kerfuffle ironic 50 years and 5 days after the Greensboro Woolworth's lunch counter sit in?

Those darn civil rights activists...

-Gene

Glock22Fan
02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Hell yeah! I don't like coffee much but when I do have coffee I have starbucks. I find their coffee pretty good and even better now! ;)

It may be because you don't like coffee that you do find theirs pretty good.

It has a relationship to the "training beer," as we Brits sometimes describe pale weak yellow fizzy beer that so many young people drink.

The only Starbucks I drink is a quad shot of expresso, often repeated. Not when I want a steady scope reticule though!

Thrasher416
02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
This is a surprise to me, I remember a year ago reading a thread that said Starbucks funded gun control organizations. Either they've come around or (more likely) what I heard was FUD.

7x57
02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
It may be because you don't like coffee that you do find theirs pretty good.

Yeah. People who like coffee don't want it burnt to a crisp with a blowtorch. :cool2:

7x57

tonelar
02-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Personally, I think Starbucks coffee has a slight burnt flavor to it. BUT, I'll drink exclusively at Starbucks to show them my gratitude.

PEBKAC
02-06-2010, 1:14 AM
Anyone else find the Starbucks/Brady kerfuffle ironic 50 years and 5 days after the Greensboro Woolworth's lunch counter sit in?

-Gene
I was thinking along those lines when I heard about Peets...

"We don't serve your kind here."

From what I could tell, most people outside of gun rights don't seem to get that parallel. :(

AndrewMendez
02-06-2010, 2:37 AM
Marie Antoinette's alleged answer of "let them eat cake" to the question of how to feed starving peasants during the French Revolution may have sped her journey to the guillotine. But that was most probably due to the fact that there was no cake to eat.

Starbucks on the other hand is open for business and serving gun owners without discrimination, unlike some other commercial outfits like Peet's Coffee & Tea. Recently in California when hand gun carriers were told "no room at the Inn" by Pete's, they headed to Starbucks, causing anti-gun outfits to demand Starbucks' discriminate against lawful gun owners.

Starbucks' replies?

"Starbucks supports the federal, state and local laws of the communities in which we do business,"

&

"Starbucks does not have a corporate policy regarding customers and weapons; we defer to federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding this issue."

In "shock," the Brady Campaign and other anti-gun rights propaganda organizations have pretty much flipped their sippy cups over the idea that a mainstream progressive commercial icon appears to be pro-gun - "more and more gun owners have been gathering at restaurants and coffee shops like Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips, intimidating fellow patrons," chortled the Brady Camapign. Another anti-gun rights group screamed of a growing "open carry hangun cult threatening public safety."

These histrionic statements are reminiscent of that scene in the 1942 movie Casablanca where Vichy French Captain Renault walks into Rick's American Café and announces "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Here's a hint as to what's really going on: that corporation called Starbucks is just a little piece of paper in some state secretary of state's file drawer full of incorporation filings.. And that corporation's managers have a legal duty to both (1) maximize profits for their shareholders and (2) meet employee payroll every week - so its no surprise that they do business with all lawful and peaceful paying comers. Most other American corporations will do as well, just ask Best Buy, Inc., the computer retailer giant:

"Best Buy does . . . not restrict our customers who are legally entitled to carry a firearm."

The National Rifle Association has already struck back with today's email alert to its millions of members entitled Maybe Brady Campaign Should Switch To Decaf urging NRA memebrs to thank Starbucks by email at this link.

And the Seattle Weekly blogged today that pro-gun policies like Starbucks' arise from marketplace realities of the "the growing popularity of the Open Carry movement. It is legal in 43 states, including Washington, for gun owners to carry a handgun without having to conceal it." Which goes to show you, money talks.

So if you are a gun owner, the next time you need a cup a joe, drink at Starbucks. And its OK if you are not open carrying a holstered handgun, but do try to wear some pro-gun paraphernalia like an NRA hat or a "Guns Save Lives" button. And as you saddle up to the cash register to get that latte, just look that barista in the eye and nicely say: "Thanks . . . and thanks for supporting the Second Amendment too."

The wink is optional ;)

This makes it easier. Everyone make sure they email starbucks and thank them!

cbn620
02-06-2010, 3:08 AM
I just wonder due to the decentralized nature of Starbucks (and most big chains/franchises) whether this really means Starbucks is some kind of safe haven for people carrying. I think about the Starbucks down the road from here with really yuppie, trendy people running it and wonder how it would go down if I walked in there OCing. I bet there'd be quite a bit of shock. I imagine I'd be asked to leave.

Of course I'm not gonna test it out or anything.

pullnshoot25
02-06-2010, 3:15 AM
Epic. I love it. I may need to break the OC fast to have some Starbucks... :)

Mulay El Raisuli
02-06-2010, 8:14 AM
Epic. I love it. I may need to break the OC fast to have some Starbucks... :)

Call me when you do. I even have a coupon!

The Raisuli

SunkenShadow
02-06-2010, 9:44 AM
Starbucks is better than Coffee Bean...I'd rather taste slightly burnt coffee over powdered coffee :D

loather
02-06-2010, 9:55 AM
I'm not much a fan of Starbucks coffee. It's burnt, over-caffeinated, and has a mass-produced flavor to it, much like a cheap wine. But then, I'm kind of a coffee snob (and a wine snob too, now that it's mentioned). That said, I'm actually more likely to go into a starbucks now than ever before (even though they did bring about the demise of many a small coffee shop by opening up competing locations very close to the mom & pop shops).

Roadrunner
02-06-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't care for Starbucks coffee, but their Vente Caramel Apple Cider is great. I may have to join some UOCers some day at a Starbucks just to experience getting hassled....uh "e" checked by the local constabulary. The one thing to note about Starbucks is that they come from Washington State, a state that has had shall issue at least 40 years.

B Strong
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM

-Gene

The anti's even trot out essentially the same rhetoric too.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 11:09 AM

-Gene

That does ring a bell.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3589411&postcount=60

greasemonkey
02-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Personally, I think Starbucks coffee has a slight burnt flavor to it. BUT, I'll drink exclusively at Starbucks to show them my gratitude.

That's because it is, they double roast their beans. It's fine for the sugar/cream/caramel drinks they make, which I enjoy. But for just drinking espresso or coffee, no, it's not very good.

Make no mistake, they're by no means 'pro-gun' or 2A friendly but they do recognize the folly that other corps have made by picking sides of a social battle. It's pretty safe to defer to state/federal law, that covers A LOT of issues! If people don't like the laws they can (theoretically) get involved and change them.

I like how the brady campaign didn't take this and use it as 'even more reason to change the laws' but instead got butthurt that Sbux didn't join their political endeavor.

artherd
02-06-2010, 1:37 PM
This is a rather fantastic article - I was really happy until I realized it wasn't from the SF Examiner.

Oh well, still good.

chuckles48
02-06-2010, 1:47 PM
If you're going to email Starbucks to say thank you, you might consider emailing Peets and telling what you're doing as well. Something like this:

Dear Sirs,
I've been a regular Peets customer pretty much since I was a kid. My father started taking me into Peets when I was a pre-teen...in the 70s. I figure I've probably run through over $10,000 in your stores over the years.

I recently saw news of your decision to restrict your customers' legal civil rights. While I'm sure you consider firearms icky, and that's your legal right, it's still a federally-protected civil right. If you consider that civil right icky, I'm sure you consider others icky, too - like, say free speech that you disagree with.

I wanted to let you know that I, one of your loyal customers, disagree strongly with your choice. How strongly? Well, despite the fact that I consider it grade-B swill, I'm going to start spending that money at Starbucks. And I'm going to encourage my other coffee-drinking friends to do the same thing...for the same reason. Until you're willing to come to your senses and let your customers practice their legal rights, I have no reason to want to reward you for your behavior.

Your kind of discrimination was unwanted in the south in the 60s, and it is unwanted in California now.

By the way, just a thought: Peets is a publicly-traded corporation. Perhaps you should have asked your stockholders before your management decided to get into this particular fight. It's not like it has anything to do with good governance, your corporate mission, or maximizing stockholder value.

Sincerely,

Chuckles48

IMTHESKI
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
but their Vente Caramel Apple Cider is great.

I was going to mention the samed thing! My Wife and I get these quite often during the cooler months(Can't really call it winter)and walk around together. Great times! I e-mailed Starbucks thanking them for their support of the Second Ammendment via their website to let them know that their support gets mine. Double cool, I own shares of Starbucks(SBUX) and this might just mean surprise earnings this quarter! Might have to make it a tradition to stop by their shop after range trips!

technique
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Anyone else getting in on the Starbucks Morale patches? "Coffee and Guns"!

gun_freek
02-07-2010, 5:01 AM
To bad. I was a huge Peets fan. Personally, I think that Starbucks coffee blows major chunks. I go through 1lb of Peets Major D per week and frequently enjoy a late from one of their stores in the afternoon. Maybe I should quit my refrigeration a/c job, and open up a pro 2a coffee shop that serves real coffee.