PDA

View Full Version : Randall Rausch group buy?

mblat
01-11-2006, 5:33 PM
Would anybody be intrested in group buy from Randall Rausch? http://ar15barrels.com/.

I never dealt with him, but it seems that he has impecable reputation for both product and support.
I sent him email and he says that for group buy discount he needs at least 5 barrels with simular twist/caliber. He also can produce complete uppers in any configuration.

So, anybody up for it?

Matt-man
01-11-2006, 6:16 PM
I am... but somehow I doubt there are four other guys who want 8 twist 6.5mm uppers.

Pablo
01-12-2006, 1:16 AM
I'm interested...
So as long as we choose the same caliber and twist we will get a discount? What about profile, length or brand and all the different barrel options?

thisismyboomstick
01-12-2006, 7:50 AM
I was thinking of picking up a barrel from them in .204 Ruger. There's probably not many people who want that caliber though.

xsquid
01-12-2006, 2:41 PM
I'm in for a group buy of 6.8 barrels. 5 or more people and he gives a 20% discount. Must be at least another 4 of you out there that would want a 6.8;)

bwiese
01-12-2006, 2:53 PM
Anyone with chrome-lined 6.8SPC barrels??

mblat
01-12-2006, 2:58 PM
I am in for 6.8 barrel, but he doesn't make anything crome-lined. So if Bill will go with stainless steel that makes 3 of us for 6.8!

2 more taker:) s? Where are you??????????????:)

bwiese
01-12-2006, 3:01 PM
I like Randall too, and know his reputation from AR15-L mailing list.

But nope, only chrome-lined barrels for me: "Go chrome or go home!" ;)

xsquid
01-12-2006, 3:06 PM

C'mon Bill - you know accuracy is better with an un-lined barrel. Chromed barrels are only for those folks who don't clean their gear right away - and knowing you, you probably clean your gear after every range session;)

mblat
01-12-2006, 3:09 PM

I far as I know only 2 sources available for chrome lined 6.8. One is M1S, and it has bad reputation on this board. Other one is JT distribution. And I have no idea if they are making there own barrels or buying them from somebody else.

xsquid
01-12-2006, 11:50 PM
mblat - maybe if you change the post title to "6.8 barrel Randall Rausch group buy" we'd get the other 3 we need?

bwiese
01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Hernando...

C'mon Bill - you know accuracy is better with an un-lined barrel.

Nope, I don't know that....

Let's not confuse general tradition with what's possible. While it is a tradition that accurate barrels are unlined, this really revolves around a cost factor - if chroming screws up, the barrel is lost from production. It can't be fixed or re-reamed (a tad of polishing may be possible). The small companies making match barrels don't have economies

I've seen damned good accuracy from the chromed Colt and Armalite bbls I have. I'm sure this would improve if I used handloaded rounds 'loaded long' to match the chamber (and a free floated handguard, better trigger, etc.)

Do note the FN Police and SPR 308 bolt guns are same-hole tack drivers - chrome-lined barrels, as well. So it is possible.

Chromed barrels are only for those folks who don't clean their gear right away

I like the 2X-3X longer barrel life and reduction of effects of chamber erosion and the ease of cleaning with a boresnake.

and knowing you, you probably clean your gear after every range session;)

I'm pretty good about that - but what if I'm travelling, etc.?

And the reduced wear over time spreads the average change/wear per round over a much longer lifetime.