PDA

View Full Version : Beware Turners new layaway Policy

xbimmers
02-05-2010, 4:22 PM
Since times are tight...I make it a point to check out Turner's weekly add on line.....they usually have interesting guns I like on sale from time to time...so I make it a point to buy guns on sale and I've used their layway plan for years. It's 30% down with 60 days to pay off.

Today, after driving in the rain to the Redondo store, I was advised I have to pay the Regular price to use their layway. I thought it was kind of a bummer being that I've am a long time customer and buy many guns from them.

I'm going to Ammo Bros....they have the same gun I want and their regular price is the same as Turner's sale price.

Ammo Bros. layway plan is 20% down 2 months to pay. I am good with that!

I just wanted to share my experience at Turners so you have this info going in. I still like Turners....just not this new policy.

Millions-Knives
02-05-2010, 6:34 PM
I know they changed their 30% 60-day policy to 30% and 30-days. But I'm not away of having to pay the regular price. Did you speak to the manager about this and find out when this policy became effective? It could just be that store but who knows... otherwise I'll find out tomorrow.

Scout2Diesel
02-05-2010, 6:50 PM
Good too know... I'm good with both of them too. Its nice to look.

Cokebottle
02-05-2010, 6:58 PM
I'd question whether that's legal or not.
Refusing to honor an advertised price because of a layaway?

Trey1191
02-05-2010, 7:04 PM
If their sale does not extend into the date you actually purchase the product then technically you didn't buy the weapon during the sale.

Rule .308
02-05-2010, 7:11 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! That sucks.

xbimmers
02-05-2010, 7:19 PM
The guy who was helping me at the Redondo store did ask him manager and the manager said I could get the gun at the sale price and put in on layaway if I paid in full.....

I did ask if this was the only store with this policy and he stated it was chain wide.

Layaway is important for me because it allows me to invest in a gun by paying for it over the course of 2 months....

I thought it was funny when the sales gun said...."it's only 30 bucks more" I looked at him and said..."My point exactly"

I know they can be inconsistent because some cal gunners were able to place the Sig Sauer P232 that is on sale on layaway....

Turners is very close to me......but...I will just go to Ammo Bros tomorrow and give them my business.....

I know they changed their 30% 60-day policy to 30% and 30-days. But I'm not away of having to pay the regular price. Did you speak to the manager about this and find out when this policy became effective? It could just be that store but who knows... otherwise I'll find out tomorrow.

cal3gunner
02-05-2010, 7:40 PM
"Lay" the money down and take the gun "away!"

pennys dad
02-05-2010, 8:05 PM
hmmm very wierd, I use thier layaway plan as well, I will need to check at the WC Turners and see whats up.

Wyseguy
02-05-2010, 8:10 PM
I was told the exact same thing from the Covina Turners about six months ago.

Millions-Knives
02-05-2010, 8:20 PM
What gun was this, if you don't mind sharing?

xbimmers
02-05-2010, 8:27 PM
For me it was the Rock Island 1911 .45 mil spec.

What gun was this, if you don't mind sharing?

jvquattro
02-05-2010, 8:27 PM
Just did a layaway with Turners Kearny Mesa. And got the sale price and 60 days. When did this come into effect?

AlliedArmory
02-05-2010, 8:31 PM
Should talk to TurnersGunslinger since he is the manager at the West co store and can shed some light on this. Seems like a store policy and not a company wide one

xbimmers
02-05-2010, 8:34 PM
I got hosed with the news of the policy today.....drove in the rain for nothing.....

Just did a layaway with Turners Kearny Mesa. And got the sale price and 60 days. When did this come into effect?

rosmar1969
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
That sucks, I like Turner's and I like putting the guns I buy from them thru Layaway. I hope TurnersGunslinger can shed a light on this issue.

imtnt10
02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I put something on layaway at the Corona location and they gave me the sales price. Sounds like it might be just that location you went to.

louscamaro91
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Is Turners a big gun shop?

zippo
02-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Is Turners a big gun shop?

YES...they had 13 location in So.Cal area most in LA and SD area

http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.html

they have weekly ad every week ...here this week ad

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

xm177
02-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Sounds like the same old tune from Turners. One step forward and three steps back. ;)

bluestaterebel
02-06-2010, 9:23 AM
I bought a gun about a month ago and the guy at Pasadena Turners told me that if the gun went on sale from the day i put it on layaway til the day that i picked it up i would get it it at the sales price.

evidens83
02-06-2010, 9:35 AM
This sounds like a store policy not a company policy. Well I hope so at least. This will definately affect my buying habits because typically their "sale" prices can be had at another shop as their every day prices. I just love the layaway program though especially for guns!

xbimmers
02-06-2010, 10:25 AM
As a result of this....I am on my way to Ammo Bros this morning....to put a gun on lawaway..... 20% down and 2 months to pay.......

there regular price is the same as Turners sale price!!!

team1320
02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
turners in san marcos honors the sale price with your deposit, but you only have 30 days there.

xbimmers
02-06-2010, 3:45 PM
Today I put my gun on layaway at Ammo Bros.

TurnersGunslinger
02-06-2010, 7:34 PM
xbimmers I am not sure who You talked to at that location but he is clearly incorrect!

TURNERS OFFICIAL LAYAWAY POLICY IS 30 PERCENT DOWN AND 30 DAYS TO PAY AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE GUN IS ON SALE OR NOT!
With that being said I strongly advise putting a sale gun on layaway because if you dont have the totaly amount handy its a great way to secure the sale price for a month.
As for the 30 day policy.......Well thats the company policy but I am darn sure not going to loose any of your business because you didnt make it on day 30. There is something called spirit of the law and letter of the law and I believe very strongly of spirit of the law, We at Turners and ESPECIALY TURNES WEST COVINA are good folk and if a person needs a lil extra time we can work it out. I would rather see you walk out a happy customer with their gun a little late then loose your business for good on day 30.
I'm here to get you what you need and to help you folks in any way possible.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. It is absolutely paramount to me that when you do business at Turners West Covina You leave my store as happy as I am when I come in!
If any of you folks ever need anything please feel free to contact me. If I dont have the answer at the time you contact me I will get the answer fast.

Matt Kidwell
Store Manager
Turners Outdoorsman West Covina
626-858-8948 Work
909-528-8922 Cell
Mattk@turners.com

Swoop
02-06-2010, 7:40 PM
That was a nice bit Matt, maybe next time I'll go to your turners because I can't stand the other ones I have been to, mainly the people behind the counter...

ledman
02-06-2010, 7:42 PM
I layed away a pistol, regular price, and then it went on sale, and they gave me the sale price AFTER I had already layed it away at Turners in Orange...but that was in 2004...

imtnt10
02-06-2010, 8:00 PM
Props to Matt in West Covina. I've done a few PPTs there and they are great people.

7.62x54R
02-06-2010, 8:08 PM
Glad that was cleared up but I do think Turners, at least the Chino Hills location, is doing 11 day waits again after years of not doing this, lame. I can count to 10 24hour periods, I guess that is not true for many unfortunately.

Good to see the west Covina manager on cgn, I buy stuff there once in a while.

edosan
02-06-2010, 8:10 PM
I only go to West Covina. Matt is great, but so is Jordan, Tom, Jake, Rebecca. I'm in there almost every day

Cokebottle
02-06-2010, 8:10 PM
Glad that was cleared up but I do think Turners, at least the Chino Hills location, is doing 11 day waits again after years of not doing this, lame. I can count to 10 24hour periods, I guess that is not true for many unfortunately.
Yup... DROSd a handgun there today... pickup on the 17th "any time".

I guess they figure it's safer to say "11 days", rather than "come in any time after 13:00 on the 16th."

7.62x54R
02-06-2010, 8:17 PM
Yup... DROSd a handgun there today... pickup on the 17th "any time".

I guess they figure it's safer to say "11 days", rather than "come in any time after 13:00 on the 16th."

May have been FUD from a Turners employee but years ago I was told that DOJ actually told them to stop doing 11 day waits, I forget the exact line of reasoning the DOJ gave them.

IDK why they reinstated this lame 11day thing. It's not like I can't wait another day but the reasoning behind it insults my intelligence.

xbimmers
02-06-2010, 8:29 PM
Thank you for the response. I have PM'ed you and Emailed you a response as well.

xbimmers I am not sure who You talked to at that location but he is clearly incorrect!

TURNERS OFFICIAL LAYAWAY POLICY IS 30 PERCENT DOWN AND 30 DAYS TO PAY AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE GUN IS ON SALE OR NOT!
With that being said I strongly advise putting a sale gun on layaway because if you dont have the totaly amount handy its a great way to secure the sale price for a month.
As for the 30 day policy.......Well thats the company policy but I am darn sure not going to loose any of your business because you didnt make it on day 30. There is something called spirit of the law and letter of the law and I believe very strongly of spirit of the law, We at Turners and ESPECIALY TURNES WEST COVINA are good folk and if a person needs a lil extra time we can work it out. I would rather see you walk out a happy customer with their gun a little late then loose your business for good on day 30.
I'm here to get you what you need and to help you folks in any way possible.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. It is absolutely paramount to me that when you do business at Turners West Covina You leave my store as happy as I am when I come in!
If any of you folks ever need anything please feel free to contact me. If I dont have the answer at the time you contact me I will get the answer fast.

Matt Kidwell
Store Manager
Turners Outdoorsman West Covina
626-858-8948 Work
909-528-8922 Cell
Mattk@turners.com

TurnersGunslinger
02-06-2010, 8:51 PM
NO 11 DAY WAITING PERIODS!!!! 10 days to the minute. the only time you would have to pic up a gun on the 11th day is if you dros'd your gun at lets say 7 pm and your pick up day is on a sat or sun when we close at 6 pm then obviously you would have to wait untill the 11th morning as soon as we opened.
10 DAYS ONLY
OR
240 HOURS
OR
14,400 MINUTES lol:79:

Cokebottle
02-06-2010, 9:05 PM
NO 11 DAY WAITING PERIODS!!!! 10 days to the minute. the only time you would have to pic up a gun on the 11th day is if you dros'd your gun at lets say 7 pm and your pick up day is on a sat or sun when we close at 6 pm then obviously you would have to wait untill the 11th morning as soon as we opened.
10 DAYS ONLY
OR
240 HOURS

Maybe give your buds over at Chino Hills a call then... We started DROS at around 2 or 3 this afternoon and were told to pick up any time on the 17th... no option for coming in the evening of the 16th.

TurnersGunslinger
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I cant control anything they do over there what so ever, all I can do is offer you first rate service at my store. The choice to recieve that gauranteed great service at my store or to roll the dice on another location is up to you.

On a side note Cokebottle, we are doing all our black guns with bullet buttons now.

TurnersGunslinger
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
oh yeah! There is one more instance that You may have to wait 11 days and that is if the store is closed for some reason on the tenth day.

Cokebottle
02-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I cant control anything they do over there what so ever,
I know you don't have any control, but they wouldn't be receptive to a call from another store since you are all basically "regulated" by corporate?

Either way, no big deal... we won't be able to get to the range until Saturday anyways, so Tuesday after 2 or Wednesday isn't going to ruin our week :D
On a side note Cokebottle, we are doing all our black guns with bullet buttons now.
I saw that in the other thread... that's great news.

Cokebottle
02-07-2010, 12:37 AM
oh yeah! There is one more instance that You may have to wait 11 days and that is if the store is closed for some reason on the tenth day.
Ya... that was the situation with my stripped lower that I bought before Christmas... shop was closed on Sunday.

Another situation would be store hours...
Buy it on a day when the store is open until 8 or 9 and begin the DROS that late, if the store closes at 4 or 5 on day 10, then you'd have to wait until the next morning.

geeknow
02-07-2010, 6:14 AM
Today I put my gun on layaway at Ammo Bros.

Thanks for making the drive to Ammo Bros. We appreciate it. :)

vicb
02-07-2010, 9:14 AM
I just put a gun on lay-away at Turners in San Bernardino and my brother did the same at the Corona store. We secured the sale price and they gave us 30 days to pay off.

7.62x54R
02-08-2010, 3:44 PM
I cant control anything they do over there what so ever, all I can do is offer you first rate service at my store. The choice to recieve that gauranteed great service at my store or to roll the dice on another location is up to you.

It would be cool if you could mention to corporate or to Chino about the 11 day bs though. To be honest though I'll probably try to do more business with West Covina now. My experience at Chino also involved an 11 day wait for none of the apparent reasons and the attitudes were kind of sour and unfriendly from some of the employees.

GotBaer?
03-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I shop at the Reseda, and Pasadena stores. All of the ppw says the 11th day, but if you are on time on the 10th day they have no problems delivering the gun. The salesman told me the computer generates the 11th day because many customers (present company excluded) can't calculate 240hrs.

Markus
03-22-2010, 2:50 AM
lay away for a gun huh? Is turners the only place that does this? Or do other gun shops do it too? Like OC Armory or On Target?

martinelliminimo
03-22-2010, 2:58 AM
Some turner stores are great and some are just straight up horrible. Like the one in San Bernardino! The manager has horrible customer service and people skills. Not only is he rude but he lied and told me I couldn't rollover to a cheaper gun or else i have to pay a 30% restocking fee. Then i went to turners at Chino Hills and they said they rollover to cheaper guns all the time but the rest turns into store credit which is not as bad. Anyways i will be writing a complaint about that manager. I have everything recorded on my iPhone about how rude and unfair he was. he is bad for business.

gunn
03-22-2010, 8:13 AM
Q: For you folks who use layaway to buy guns, do you buy other products on layaway as well?

Instead of giving your money to a shop prior to purchase, why not keep it in your bank account and let it accrue interest (as well as being safely in your hands). I know this made sense when interest rates were much higher but its still nice to earn a ROI on your cash pile PLUS the money remains in your name vs. some other company's bank account. Right now, I prefer to earn FF miles vs interest since FF miles are currently untaxed. Bank accounts are free and if you insist, you can make one specifically as the "gun fund." On top of that, once you make the pile of cash big enough to buy the gun you want, you can still get at least 1% cash back from any number of credit cards when you actually make the purchase.

Gun shops go out of business all the time. If they go OOB with your layaway money, you'll just be another creditor to them. In that situation, you will probably be pretty far down the list as an "unsecured creditor" (not backed by any collateral that the gun shop put up. After all, you never owned the gun and it's still part of their inventory). Now wouldn't that suck?

-g

Saym14
03-22-2010, 8:33 AM
I got one at a discount in DEC. problem was they had to order the gun and then they couldnt get it. took three months and they threatened me with loosing my deposit. :(

S.A.
03-22-2010, 3:27 PM
lay away for a gun huh? Is turners the only place that does this? Or do other gun shops do it too? Like OC Armory or On Target?

Martin B Rettings has 60 day layaway. I started one on 3/15/09, paid it off on 6/26/09, needless to say I received excellent customer service! I recommend them.

lockpicker70
03-22-2010, 4:40 PM
This 1 of the multiple reasons I do not have anything to do with the gun departments in Turners , any location . I have bought at Signal Hill , Redondo Bch , Norwalk , Pasadena , Reseda & Chino when it was the outlet . But have been in all but the ones in OC & South . It all has to do with the personel in the gun dept . All of the " advice " / "legal " advice that they give and offer is incredible . Or the ones that own all the guns and " know everything about everything " on the guns kill me .we had a smart *** like that in our store . he bought a high power , we took out the firing pin to see if he would notice because he was an "expert" on that and all guns , he came back from the range because his gun would not fire . he thought the pin was a tool .
i worked for Turners for 3 years . I worked the counter in Lawndale ( that shows how long ago it was ) & a year and 1/2 in the gun cage doing the recieving & distribution for the chain . Back then when you had a problem you could see Shirley Andrew . She was the owner of the stores . Her husband got the 2 in Ariz after the div from what I was told . You also could talk to the store supervisors . There were 4/5 people that supervised 2 or more stores each and made sure things went smoothly . Now I think the highest you can get is Bill Ortiz . If I am correct he was a super back then . I was lucky to have "big Joe " as my store super , think he also had Norwalk . I also remember Steve Hightower don't know where he went , Alex Cheely went to Big 5 . I also new Nabor Mascorroso who I found out passed . he was a cool guy . He was Darrens (warehouse supervisors ) right hand . Jaunita ran the cage & Gloria did shipping .
My question for " Turners gentleman " Do they still have the store supervisors ? if so , who are they & how can someone get ahold of them ? or is it just the store managers ? Do they still use the " secret shoppers ? to check up on service . I ask because a guy in our fishing dept was suspended because he was sexually harrassing the secret shopper . he didn't know it . he thought he was hitting on a customer .

But to ALL that have any problems with anything in a store email Bill Ortiz . His email is on their main page " Turners.com " under contacts . you will see his email address . He took care of an issue in Redondo Bch that I brought to his attention .

Cokebottle
03-22-2010, 6:26 PM
Q: For you folks who use layaway to buy guns, do you buy other products on layaway as well?

Instead of giving your money to a shop prior to purchase, why not keep it in your bank account and let it accrue interest (as well as being safely in your hands).
Layaway allows the buyer to take advantage of a current sale item... and the savings on the sale (even if it's the typical Turner's 5% off) is a lot more than the interest that you'll make at your bank on $1,000 at a 1% APR.

It can also allow the buyer to jump on a "hot" item that dealers can't keep in stock (like the RIA 1911s).

For items that aren't on sale or hard to find, I agree... Layaway is a nice "easy payment plan" for high school students, but it's not a good way for an adult to buy a firearm.
If you have to spread out $500 for a Glock over 3 months, how on earth are you going to "feed" it, along with range fees, to maintain any kind of proficiency?

Guns are like Harleys.... the price of the bike is just the down payment on the chrome, and the price of a gun is just the down payment on the ammo bill.