PDA

View Full Version : Shipping rifle to custom ammo maker and back?

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
02-05-2010, 3:56 PM
Can I sent a gun (I own) to a custom ammo maker for developing a load, and have them ship it directly back without having to go through an ffl and re-DROS the thing?

ke6guj
02-05-2010, 3:58 PM
as long as that custom ammo maker is an FFL, and the rifle in question isn't an AW, then you can send it to him and have it returned without having to deal iwth a local FFL and DROS.

boxbro
02-05-2010, 4:58 PM
as long as that custom ammo maker is an FFL, and the rifle in question isn't an AW, then you can send it to him and have it returned without having to deal iwth a local FFL and DROS.

What if they have it for more than 30 days ?

ke6guj
02-05-2010, 6:06 PM
What if they have it for more than 30 days ?

It should fall under 12078(e), which does not have a time limit.

12078(e) Section 12071, subdivisions (c) and (d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not apply to the delivery of a firearm to a gunsmith for service or repair, or to the return of the firearm to its owner by the gunsmith.

dantodd
02-05-2010, 8:42 PM
It should fall under 12078(e), which does not have a time limit.

Jack,

Off the top of your head do you know where a "gunsmith" is defined as having to have an FFL?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-05-2010, 11:36 PM
...do you know where a "gunsmith" is defined as having to have an FFL?

The 1968 Gun Control Act defines "dealer" as somebody engaged in the business of repairing firearms.

§ 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter --

(11) The term "dealer" means

(A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail,

(B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or

(C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term "licensed dealer" means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

It then goes on to require all "dealers" to have an FFL...

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(1) for any person --

(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce;

dantodd
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
The 1968 Gun Control Act defines "dealer" as somebody engaged in the business of repairing firearms.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
02-06-2010, 8:25 AM
So there are no NEW laws that would prohibit me from shipping rifle directly to a gunsmith and no issue with them sending back directly to me without having to go through an ffl?

Sure sounds like that is the consensus.