PDA

View Full Version : Carrying on BART, MUNI and museums

navyboy65
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Ok, I'll be traveling to San Fran here soon and will be riding on BART, SF MUNI buses and going to some museums in SF. Anyone know if they are carry friendly???

paul0660
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
what do you mean? I have carried on Bart, muni, and in museums. I sure as heck didn't ask them about it. There may be some museums with detectors or wands, but I have not run into any. The likelyhood is at those places they would not be able to secure your gun for you, as well as freak out.

navyboy65
02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I haven't been on BART and wasn't sure if they wand you or have a policy against carrying? And Same for the MUNI. As for the museums I was looking at going to Asian art, De Young and Modern Art. Since I'd be riding BART I wouldn't have the option of taking the gun back to the car if I forsee a problem at a museum.

paul0660
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I have only been to MOMA recently, no problem there. No search on Bart or Muni. Hopefully someone can chime in on the other spots.

Coit tower and the Cable car museum are also fun.

freedomtools
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I've carried a shotgun on BART in a locked (but obvious) case, no BART Police attention. No metal detectors on BART, MUNI, or Asian Art or MOMA. Have not been to De Young recently but I think it's unlikely they would care.

navyboy65
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I've carried a shotgun on BART in a locked (but obvious) case, no BART Police attention.
That is awesome! Strange that BART PD didn't do anything? With looking up ccw and BART all kinds of problems with BART PD come up!

Thanks for the help guys. I'd be going by myself to the big city, which I rarely go to, even rarer by myself. I'd like to check out other museums (and do other things) but this trip is for an art history class I am taking, and need to get in these 3 museums in the one day trip!

paul0660
02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
With looking up ccw and BART all kinds of problems with BART PD come up!

Where?

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/announcements/10763-official-word-carrying-bart.html

navyboy65
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Where?

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/announcements/10763-official-word-carrying-bart.html

Sorry I ment with BART PD using excessive force and more like abusing their power, nothing to do with CCW.
I was trying to say, I would have thought they would have jumped at someone carrying a gun case, particularly with post 9/11 mentality - and BART's safety guide. http://www.bart.gov/guide/safety/index.aspx

Librarian
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
At the moment all those places are not concerned about metal detectors and such.

A few years ago (10?) went to a travelling Smithsonian exhibit in SF, and they had metal detectors; had to check my EDC knife, but they were cool about it. Don't know about CCW in that case, don't have it myself and didn't see anyone else who obviously did.

paul0660
02-05-2010, 12:40 PM
The worst thing about BART cops is what is common to all cops......they aren't there when you need them. BART is a rolling playground for wannabe gangsters and creeps.

Wulf
02-07-2010, 4:40 PM
I've carried a shotgun on BART in a locked (but obvious) case, no BART Police attention. No metal detectors on BART, MUNI, or Asian Art or MOMA. Have not been to De Young recently but I think it's unlikely they would care.

Probably thought it was marital aid travel case.