PDA

View Full Version : Need Vista network HELP!

Santa Cruz Armory
02-05-2010, 9:15 AM
Ok, so my wife's notebook (HP Pavilion) out of the blue stopped seeing our wireless network. My other notebook and my phone see the wireless network fine, but for some reason my wifes can't... I don't really know Vista so I'm stuck. It works fine if I plug it directly into the router. (and yes I have the wireless function turned on :) )

I want to get her off my computer... she's cutting into my CG time! LOL! Can anyone offer suggestions!?

Thanks!!

bigmike82
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Have you tried power cycling both the computer and the AP? ;)

Asmodai
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Download Network Magic off cnet.com - does a good job of keeping things connected and has an easy button for the wife or other less computer literate people to click to re-connect should something silly bung up the works.

Ricky-Ray
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Is the wireless network name still in the listed of allowed networks? If not if might have been accidentally deleted and you just need to re-add it.

Also check and see if the wireless utility software got changed. Window's has a wireless utility built in but some wireless cards also have a secondary utility that needs to be installed in order for the card to work correctly. For example, if you were using Window's utility before and then accidentally switch to the manufacturer's then it wouldn't connect to your wireless network anymore becase it's a different program that's now controlling what network to connect to. Easy way of fixing that would to either switch back to the other wireless manager or just added the wireless network to the new one.

If the wireless network is there then I would try deleting it and the readding it.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-05-2010, 1:32 PM
check if she accidentally turned off the switch for built in wireless adapter. Most notebook these days have a external switch :)

She or my daughter have done that a few times before and it was an easy fix. This time, that's not the case. :(

Marsoc1
02-05-2010, 1:33 PM
switch back to xp, problem solved lol.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-05-2010, 1:41 PM
Well, I used the HP "total care adviser" which I've never had to do before. It said the wireless was disabled... :confused: I turned the wireless function on several times and it would never "see" the wireless network.

Whatever! it's working again and now I get my computer back. Thanks for the tips guys.

Marsoc1
02-05-2010, 1:42 PM
If it was me, i would:
1. check the wireless power switch on the laptop
2. check all hardware updates
3. restart laptop and router and in some cases including the modem
4. local ur SSD (your wifi network name) and if ur still not connected remove and manually re-add yourself. As for vista dont use the password prompt, never worked for me. Manually add all settings

see if that helps

Marsoc1
02-05-2010, 1:44 PM
so it was "switched off" lol, and problem solved right before i wrote all, good to go lol

high_revs
02-05-2010, 1:47 PM
have you done anything to the router wifi settings, i.e. make changes? lower the # of IPs? not broadcast the SSI name? put another device in the network that would consume another IP# but you only allowed a small number for DHCP? to mac security? for ex, added a new bluray and/or hd tv that connects to the internet? that'll use up IPs

on the non-functioning laptop, right click network and repair. check IP settings (wifi network properties) -> IP -> make sure it's dhcp and no other values (manually) entered. you may not have done it, but your so or daughter may have.

download the wifi network card driver from HP and re-install.

did you "disable" the radio? there's another way of disabling the wifi that people forget - turn off the wifi radio (different from right click on wifi network icon and say disable or press button on laptop to turn off the blue light).

let us know.

worse case.. manually configure your wifi network instead of trying to sense it. just enter ssid.