PDA

View Full Version : Arrested for "Machine Guns"

CnCFunFactory
02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Hopefully not a calguns member. :(

http://cbs2.com/local/guns.machine.guns.2.1471857.html

Man, 63, Arrested For Having Large Cache Of Guns
MAR VISTA (CBS) ―

A 63-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police found more than 100 guns, including 20 machine guns, in his home in Mar Vista.

Officials arrested a 63-year-old Mar Vista man Thursday after finding a huge cache of weaponry, including 20 machine guns, in his home.

Brian David Cochran was taken into custody around 10 a.m.

According to authorities, the arrest came nearly five hours after police arrived to serve a search warrant at his home in the 12700 block of Woodgreen Street.

Officer April Harding of the Los Angeles Police Department said several explosives were also discovered.

"Tthe bomb squad was called out," Harding said. "After the bomb squad cleared the area the search continued and additional firearms were located."

Officers recovered about 100 guns, including more than 20 machine guns, Harding said.

Cochran was released just before 4 p.m. after $45,000 bail was posted.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 25

bigstick61
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I wonder what the warrant was for.

freonr22
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
out by 4pm and only a $45k bail....

CnCFunFactory
02-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I wonder what the warrant was for.

I was thinking the same. I wonder what originally brought them there????

freonr22
02-05-2010, 12:03 AM
neighbors

CnCFunFactory
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
neighbors

Sad but probably true.

nick
02-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I hope it wasn't the fact that he had 100 guns. Otherwise, many of us would be in big trouble.

jdberger
02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
45K is pretty trivial for 20 mgs.

nick
02-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Could be semiautos black in color, the evil ones. It's not like the media is known to be generally factually correct.

cbn620
02-05-2010, 1:41 AM
Yeah, I'm always skeptical when I see the words "machine gun" in a news article.

forgiven
02-05-2010, 2:13 AM
I'm sure the media misspoke and meant to say a 20 AK 47's.:rolleyes:

doorman
02-05-2010, 4:47 AM
yeah "machine guns". I too would like to no reason for warrant, even if it was the neihbors like mentioned before, can they take you in just for having a decent amount of firepower? I hope not.

he may have done something that was going to get him arrested anyway and this was just a good opportunity to dig at guns again.

TheMan
02-05-2010, 4:58 AM
Saw this last night on the news, and was wondering about it myself. They said that he was a lawyer, and that he had been arrested after the police had been investigating him for a while, and that there was some undercover gun buy from him. The police had cleared out the whole neighborhood, and weren't even allowing his neighbors back to their houses, because of the "explosives". Amazing that he got out on such a low bail after all that, makes it sound like a lot of media hype.

B Strong
02-05-2010, 5:15 AM
I don't have any knowledge of the facts of the case, but a 63 year old attorney, roots in the community, no priors, no narcotics involved, 45K bail doesn't sound like it's out-of-line, even if the guy did have 20 unregistered NFA weapons - this is a state case, not federal so far.

There have been many documented examples of LEA and media misrepresentation of standard type 01 firearms as MG's, and I'll be watching this case for further information.

bigcalidave
02-05-2010, 5:33 AM
Oh noes! he has guns! Lets bring in the bomb squad???

$45K bail on 20 "machine guns" is a joke. Can't wait to find out what he really had. At least when they call this a huge cache they got it right for once.

Aldemar
02-05-2010, 7:13 AM
I'm sure the media misspoke and meant to say a 20 AK 47's.:rolleyes:

Whatever was siezed, one of the magic words (machine guns, assault weapons, etc) was used. This will be archived by the Brady Bunch etal for future propaganda.

Of course, nothing will ever be printed about what was really found or the fact that they were legally owned and none can be tied to a crime! (assuming that is true, of course).

snobord99
02-05-2010, 7:19 AM
Bail's not based just on what he was arrested for. There are a bunch of factors that go into it. Odds are, he's nowhere near a flight risk.

RP1911
02-05-2010, 7:28 AM
Maybe the Gun Unit is involved.

SteveH
02-05-2010, 8:24 AM
"Machine Guns" ???

nick
02-05-2010, 8:30 AM
You know, those things that shoot two or more rounds with each pull of the trigger. Those rounds are especially dangerous compared to, say, semiauto or bolt action rounds, as the sound of each round being shot from a machine gun gives either a liberal, or a kitten, or a puppy somewhere out there a fatal heart attack.

WokMaster1
02-05-2010, 8:31 AM
Tag for more info.

PatriotnMore
02-05-2010, 8:31 AM
I am just curious, is it a fact the gentleman in question had actual MG, or is this a we think they are MG because they look like assault rifles?

Of course this requires and answer from someone with intimate knowledge of the findings and case.

Fyathyrio
02-05-2010, 8:34 AM
Hmmmm, anybody think the "explosives" involved might be gunpowder? I imagine somebody with a large collection like this would also be into reloading.

SenorJefe
02-05-2010, 8:45 AM
I has machine gunz

http://blogs.sfx-360.com/ladyj/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mare_machine_gun_cat1.jpg

Red Dog
02-05-2010, 8:52 AM
Tag

k1dude
02-05-2010, 9:00 AM
I saw a news report years ago where they arrested a couple on drug charges and said they were in possession of 2 assault weapons with thousands of rounds of ammunition. They showed the rifles and ammo for a split second laid out on a table. It was a Marlin 60 .22 and some lever action .22 with a couple bricks of ammo.

I was pissed at the mischaracterization of the weapons.

Then a few days later it turns out the confidential informant gave the police the wrong address. It was an innocent couple and the police found no drugs or anything else illegal. The couple spent several days in jail and had about $10,000 worth of damage to their house from the raid which the police said they wouldn't pay for. Evidently, they never got their 2 rifles back either.

DougJ
02-05-2010, 9:02 AM
Interesting. I could see this possibly turning out to be a nosey neighbor, an overzelous LE agency, some legal "black guns", some reloading supplies, etc.

I hope so anyway...

I wonder if this is the same guy?

Law Office (http://pview.findlaw.com/view/3084142_1)

Super Spy
02-05-2010, 9:04 AM
:useless:
I'm just saying......

DougJ
02-05-2010, 9:11 AM
Or this guy? LA Area also.

Amazon profile (http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AM4NGUZL64SV0)

Oh No! This guy has been reading about terrorists. He must be a threat!

Hmmm an FFL?

Phantom Soldier, January 2, 2002
I rate this book and the other books by Mr. Poole a five star.
My own credentials include having been a Class 23 FFL dealer (explosives), and having been to the places in the news, including Afghanistan, the Golden Triangle, the Gobi Desert and Columbia, South America.

His writings are from the objective perspective of the senior NCO and/or company commander. Small unit tactics are his specialty. He reviews different historical military incidents with a discussion of small unit techniques, maps, diagrams, footnotes and source material.

The book is like having a workshop and applying the philosophy of Sun Tzu.

I own all of Mr. Poole's writings. His writings are to small unit tactics as those of Charles de Gaulle were to tank warfare in WWII. They could fill a long standing gap in English language treatises on small unit tactics.

bwiese
02-05-2010, 9:37 AM
out by 4pm and only a $45k bail....

Wow - and compare that with what BWO's was a couple of years ago.

wildhawker
02-05-2010, 9:43 AM
Hey Bill, long time no see.

KING_PALM
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
if my memory serves me correct i think i know some one who knows this guy.
The story i heard was that he got stopped on a routine traffic stop and had ak parts in the back seat. he was held over night and questioned but they couldnt get him for only having gun parts. a few days later they knock knock on the door with all the paper work and searching his house.

GTKrockeTT
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I hope it wasn't the fact that he had 100 guns. Otherwise, many of us would be in big trouble.

you didn't get the memo to stop at 99? :43:

dfletcher
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
You know, instead of "junior member" or "member' or "veteran member" perhaps Calguns should switch to whatever might follow our names in the news regarding the number of guns found at home - "collection" or "arsenal" or my new favorite "cache of weapons" ..... :)

dantodd
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Hey Bill, long time no see.

hehehe......

We should get together and smoke some cigars and drink some whiskey. (A friend of mine owns a cigar shop on the peninsula we could use.)

corrupt
02-05-2010, 1:13 PM
Mmmm... a little Glenlivet nadurra and CAO.

yum.

Off topic!!! dupe police!!!

AJAX22
02-05-2010, 1:19 PM
Good thing they got this 'dangerous deviant' out of circulation...

:rolleyes:

you know... this used to be America...

As for smoking and drinking some time... let me know if you guys make it to NYC... I'd be down for trying a cigar or some black label.

Zachs300zx
02-05-2010, 1:29 PM
Likely all hype, some gun collector with a few EBR's and a reloading bench or some demilled war relics. I never trust these media reports. Just like the whole flare "grenade launcher" thing last week.

SVPRApps
02-05-2010, 1:36 PM
http://crimsonaudio.net/guns/funny/journalist_guns_2.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vw8xhf.jpg

SVPRApps
02-05-2010, 1:48 PM
Wow check up this stupid blog i found for the news story. this guy isn't very bright. obviously racist

facepalm at this blog
http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/crime/mar-vista-rednecks-guns-ammo/

bakokid
02-05-2010, 2:09 PM
Redneck-style bust in Mar Vista on Westside: LAPD gets big load of machine guns
By Jill Stewart in crimeThu., Feb. 4 2010 @ 8:35PMUh, who let the rednecks into Mar Vista? The area was buzzing tonight about an LAPD raid in which explosives and machine guns were found in a cache in a residence in the fairly pricey, yet somewhat Bohemian, Westside neighborhood with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean.

According to one report, neighbors could clearly hear the cops shouting "Fire in the hole!" as stuff was detonated during the clearing-out effort.

So what was the plan, if there was one, of the unidentified residents on Woodgreen? Turns out they had been under surveillance for weeks. Not only that:
The LAPD confiscated a huge number of firearms -- 100 -- and, even more unnerving, 20 machine guns. All this came from a house in the 12700 block of Woodgreen Street, which is kind of a nice little area with decent yards just south of Palm Avenue.

This seems particularly odd, since the Mar Vista area has seen a lot less crime in the past couple of years, and it's not unusual to see people alone at night walking to the corner store.

Now they all have to be asking themselves: what on earth were the neighbors up to?

Tags: crime, gun cache, LAPD, Los Angeles Police Department, machine guns, mar vista, surveillance, Westside 9 comment(s) / Post a Comment JJ says:
Oh and I suppose spicks, gooks, and niggers never have caches of weapons. The term redneck is highly offensive and racist you twit.

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 2:03AM Michael Krieger says:
I live several blocks away from the scene and took pictures and posted them on the CBS news site by 9:00a.m. I was checking the news stations all day on Thurday and I never heard an mention of the arrest. I drove by at 2:30 a.m. this morning and the police and bomb squad were still there!

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 7:07AM J says:
I second JJ's comment! You liberals always try to paint gun owners as rednecks and idiots. Not only is it offensive it's just plain ignorant on your part! When will you people learn... guns don't kill people... People do!

But I digress.... That is a great bust for LAPD. 100 guns out of the hands of criminals has got to be a really good day! That much firepower sounds like they were ready to start a mini drug war! Or could have been terrorists too... guess we don't know yet.

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 12:10PM Mike Oxbent says:
JJ & J must be a couple o' gun totin' Rednecks themselves!

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 12:38PM J says:
Far from it smartass! (mike) But if it makes you feel like a man to keep insulting regular people who just happen to believe in the importance of the 2nd Amendment, don't let me stop you! You're ignorance is pretty entertaining though.

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 12:48PM CaliforniaKid says:
**** you Jill

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 2:49PM Adam S. says:
Those "machine guns" were probably 10/22's with scopes on them! Haha! I love the ignorance of the liberal media.

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 2:51PM A says:
People like Mike are the first that would lay down to let our constitution be torn up, little cowardly pussies who are so ignorant and clueless.

Posted On: Friday, Feb. 5 2010 @ 2:52PM Brendan says:
Wow really? What a crap blog. The "redneck" is actually a lawyer. Yeah yeah I know blogs are all about injecting your own "spice" and opinion in to otherwise non-factual news stories, but come on....

WELL NOW WE KNOW WHY CRIME WAS DOWN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS!!! NOW THAT THE LE HAS TAKEN THE PROTECTION AWAY WE CAN EXPECT THE CRIME RATE TO RISE BACK TO ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE!
love the first comment

tac
02-05-2010, 2:52 PM
I tend to take the "Machine Gun" statements with a grain of salt...

Not unlike the media calling a Labrador "Vicious Pitbull"

gbp
02-05-2010, 3:57 PM
i wonder if they yelled "fire in the hole" today at DVC
or if they were just making a statement

gbp
02-05-2010, 3:59 PM
45K in bail, they an't got ****

shark92651
02-05-2010, 4:45 PM
Here is a video. http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/explosives-firearms-found-in-mar-vista-20100204

corrupt
02-05-2010, 4:52 PM
Interesting. They mentioned that he sold firearms to undercovers.

CnCFunFactory
02-05-2010, 5:51 PM
more and more info seems to continue to come out, looks like he sold to undercovers or the like hence the issues I guess. Not that I believe the media hype and what not but I doubt highly that the LAPD is going to flat out lie about buying guns etc.

donsnnk
02-05-2010, 6:01 PM
http://crimsonaudio.net/guns/funny/journalist_guns_2.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vw8xhf.jpg

hahaah
i wonder what happened to the old man now

nick
02-05-2010, 6:08 PM
Wow check up this stupid blog i found for the news story. this guy isn't very bright. obviously racist

facepalm at this blog
http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/crime/mar-vista-rednecks-guns-ammo/

Heh, it gets worse. This redneck lives in Santa Monica :chris:

nick
02-05-2010, 6:11 PM
you didn't get the memo to stop at 99? :43:

There was a memo??? :willy_nilly:

SimpleCountryActuary
02-05-2010, 7:32 PM
Gee, this guy lived not too far from me. I feel so much better now that my Whammo air rifle and Daisy bb gun are the heavy artillery around the neighborhood, protecting my friends and neighbors against the evil squirrels and crows.

But if real thugs show up, I can't go up Palms Blvd anymore and borrow a cup of AK-47.

:(

GammaRei
02-06-2010, 1:26 AM
and given our current economic and political state id say they guy is just well prepared. unless he is islamic then they should lock him up with some pigs. lol

So just because of a persons belief they should be locked up?

- G

thegratenate
02-06-2010, 7:26 AM
Would the "undercover" sales be legit if they were C&R?

I believe that comment about as much as the "machine guns" part of the story.

bakokid
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
So just because of a persons belief they should be locked up?

- G

was a joke hence the lol

Seesm
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I bet they were NOT MG's... We all know Antis love magical words like that or assualt weapons. It makes me sick to my stomach really.

Dude had some re-loading powder and a bunch of Ar's I bet and was just a target to pick off...

Maybe the CGF needs to step in help him out... Was he a Cal Gunner?

N6ATF
02-07-2010, 2:02 PM
more and more info seems to continue to come out, looks like he sold to undercovers or the like hence the issues I guess. Not that I believe the media hype and what not but I doubt highly that the LAPD is going to flat out lie about buying guns etc.

It wouldn't be the first time they've committed perjury this year.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=35998&forum_id=12&highlight=mike+hunt

Concealed carry arrest of a fully exposed unloaded open carrier, non-felon, non-626.9 PC.

SteveH
02-08-2010, 1:24 AM
It wouldn't be the first time they've committed perjury this year.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=35998&forum_id=12&highlight=mike+hunt

Concealed carry arrest of a fully exposed unloaded open carrier, non-felon, non-626.9 PC.

I read the whole thread. Don't see any explanation of what he was carrying or where. No PDF of the police report. No link to the court website with his docket. No media reports.

bakokid
02-08-2010, 8:21 AM
I bet they were NOT MG's... We all know Antis love magical words like that or assualt weapons. It makes me sick to my stomach really.

Dude had some re-loading powder and a bunch of Ar's I bet and was just a target to pick off...

Maybe the CGF needs to step in help him out... Was he a Cal Gunner?

i 2nd the motion for cgf support as long as we dont find out he really is a bad guy