PDA

View Full Version : Students Suspended for a Facebook video?

rromeo
02-04-2010, 6:40 PM
Has anybody else heard of this? It sounds like they're a couple wannabe thugs, but it still doesn't make any sense to me.

RIVERSIDE, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire)

Two west suburban high school students have been suspended after appearing in a video posted on Facebook brandishing guns.
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/students.guns.facebook.2.1464936.html

maddoggie13
02-04-2010, 6:53 PM
What country are we in ????? Oh, yes the USSA.

G17GUY
02-04-2010, 6:56 PM
I don't see how schools can do this. I don't give a crap about gang bangers. But how can a school suspend a student for a video online? Its not like the video was made at school??

This shadows the student that got expelled for having a shotgun OFF campus.

MrPlutonium
02-04-2010, 7:06 PM
People like to blame the schools when stuff like this happens. We like to say they're intruding in areas they shouldn't and I'm inclined to agree with this. Although at the same time people wring their hands and ask where was the school when it comes to things like bullying outside school or online. The truth is if the parents were to take responsibility and actually accept the fact that kids are their responsibility we wouldn't be having this discussion about schools overstepping their bounds because it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what these guys did, just saying the solution with schools starts at home.

rromeo
02-04-2010, 7:24 PM
As I stated, the kids are probably dip****s, and probably deserve an asswhooping, but this isn't a school matter.

Seesm
02-04-2010, 7:53 PM
terrible... Back in the USS back in the USS, back in the USSR!

Fyathyrio
02-04-2010, 7:55 PM
Well, at least they can get an early start on their life of crime. :rolleyes:

dantodd
02-04-2010, 8:23 PM
Although at the same time people wring their hands and ask where was the school when it comes to things like bullying outside school or online.

Who the hell thinks the school is responsible for bullying outside school? That's for the kid to take care of and if not possible kick it upstairs to your parents. What's the world coming to? First we want to schools to teach sex ed and alternative religion etc. Now you actually expect them to start supervising kids off-campus? For chrissakes what's left for the parents to do? Play PS4 while the kids run rampant?

The truth is if the parents were to take responsibility and actually accept the fact that kids are their responsibility we wouldn't be having this discussion about schools overstepping their bounds because it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

The truth is if the schools didn't try to play outside of their bounds the parents wouldn't feel like they could abdicate raising their own children.

Pyrodyne
02-04-2010, 8:40 PM
I'm curious if this will end up in a privacy lawsuit eventually. How was the matter found by the school?

I found a link with more detail and that the school is getting a history of first amendment infringements. Looks like you better behave on facebook if you go to Riverside Brookfield High...

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=155639&print=1

ChuckBooty
02-04-2010, 8:50 PM
I dunno...the school is kind of in an impossible situation here. Can you imagine the outrage if they saw the video and chose not to act only to have another Columbine on their hands?

Pyrodyne
02-04-2010, 9:52 PM
What i'd really like to know is when did it become necessary for schools to pry into their student's off-school lives?

Where were the parents while their children were waving guns and gang signs at a camera? Why aren't the parents getting the third degree? I'm sure we passed all of those gun lock laws for a reason, like enforcing them when the need arises... :rolleyes:

Scratch705
02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
this is just a little life lesson the kids learned early. don't put things on the internet that you don't want others to find out.

many companies are doing this same thing these days too. firing employees over facebook postings.

RideIcon
02-04-2010, 10:39 PM
who cares that these kids held a pistol and a bb gun sideways and yelled at the camera, how can the principal suspend a student over this, get national attention, and not get into trouble himself?

MrPlutonium
02-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Who the hell thinks the school is responsible for bullying outside school? That's for the kid to take care of and if not possible kick it upstairs to your parents. What's the world coming to? First we want to schools to teach sex ed and alternative religion etc. Now you actually expect them to start supervising kids off-campus? For chrissakes what's left for the parents to do? Play PS4 while the kids run rampant?

I was just watching an O'reilly Factor segment on some girl who hung herself apparently as the result of online bullying. The talking heads once again "solved" the problem by blaming the schools. I don't disagree with you on your point I was just making a different one. Oh and if you have hands on a PS4 please do tell me where to get one. :)

The truth is if the schools didn't try to play outside of their bounds the parents wouldn't feel like they could abdicate raising their own children.

So you're saying there's nothing parents can do at home? I can't say I agree with this point. It's up to you to be involved in your child's education outside the classroom isn't it? If not involved at least available, right?

dantodd
02-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I was just watching an O'reilly Factor segment on some girl who hung herself apparently as the result of online bullying. The talking heads once again "solved" the problem by blaming the schools. I don't disagree with you on your point I was just making a different one. Oh and if you have hands on a PS4 please do tell me where to get one. :)

I had no idea that people were actually blaming schools for that crap. How moronic. As for the PS4 I'll send it right over when I'm done with it. :D

So you're saying there's nothing parents can do at home? I can't say I agree with this point. It's up to you to be involved in your child's education outside the classroom isn't it? If not involved at least available, right?

I may have not been clear. I was trying to say that some parents become reliant on the schools to raise their kids instead of taking responsibility because the schools are offering to take care of them, much like welfare dependence.

GunNutz
02-05-2010, 9:01 AM
Yes, let's keep them out of school - that will educate them on proper off campus behavior...

Jamez
02-05-2010, 9:04 AM
Stupid? yes. Resulting from kids watching to much tv? probably.
But where the heck are the PARENTS in this? This story leaves so many questions un answered.

However, I don't see how this is something a school can do anything about. I predict IF the parents try to fight it, the school will eventually back down because it has nothing to do with it.

OR

The parents may want to "teach them a lesson" and let the school run with it. Just my opinion.