PDA

View Full Version : So. . .enlighten me.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 7:16 PM
What exactly do you want the lower receivers for?

Just trying to figure out:

1) Why people want more than 1, and

2) Why would I want one.

BigAL
01-10-2006, 7:18 PM
If you need someone to tell you why you want one you obviously shouldn't bother getting one in the first place.

TonyM
01-10-2006, 7:19 PM
They hold down papers very well. I have alot of papers to hold down.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 7:21 PM
If you need someone to tell you why you want one you obviously shouldn't bother getting one in the first place.
Well. . .aren't you a little ray of sunshine.

Gunner1
01-10-2006, 7:24 PM
Well for one they make great rifles, The major point is that we subjects of the state of California have had our rights violated for so long that we have become sheep. In a blunt manner, we are now sheep with California legal 10 round fixed magazine rifles at a reduced price;) personally I dros'd 18 and ended up with 10.5 of them (The .5 is the vulcan CF)

Gunner

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a free state????

BigAL
01-10-2006, 7:25 PM
Seriously. There are a lot of people out there who badly want these lowers. If you don't see the need for one then you might as well let these other folks get 'em.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 7:27 PM
Well for one they make great rifles, The major point is that we subjects of the state of California have had our rights violated for so long that we have become sheep. In a blunt manner, we are now sheep with California legal 10 round fixed magazine rifles at a reduced price;) personally I dros'd 18 and ended up with 10.5 of them (The .5 is the vulcan CF)

Gunner

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a free state????
I guess my question should be more along the lines of what are people planning on doing? Holding on to them until the receivers make the list? The build them up?

Or are they just building another AR?

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 7:28 PM
Seriously. There are a lot of people out there who badly want these lowers. If you don't see the need for one then you might as well let these other folks get 'em.
Gimme a break.

It's called a "question".

If you don't have an "answer", that's okay too.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 7:29 PM
Gimme a break.

It's called a "question".

If you don't have an answer, that's okay too.
BTW, I'd spend my money on a FAL before I spent it on an AR.

PanzerAce
01-10-2006, 7:33 PM
the point is that people want ARs. specifically, they want ones that when they get into a free state, are just as capable as every other AR in there. as such, they buy a bunch of lowers, and in my case, hope they make it to the list soon. In other peeps cases, they put a fixed mag setup in, but one that can be removed and replaced with a regular mag catch. that way, when they get our of the PRK, they have a great rifle.

as for FAL: the prob is that they will never be listed as AWs. as such, when you go to another state, you will still have a fixed mag FAL. but if WE go to a different state once these are listed as AWs, we will be just another person with a real AR. sure, they arent factory built complete, but that just adds to the coolness factor of having one: building your own.

pieeater
01-10-2006, 7:34 PM
BTW, I'd spend my money on a FAL before I spent it on an AR. Spend it on a dozen of each.

BigAL
01-10-2006, 7:34 PM
OK champ.

All these people must be idiots because they want an AR over a FAL.:rolleyes:

sintax
01-10-2006, 7:36 PM
the point is that people want ARs. specifically, they want ones that when they get into a free state, are just as capable as every other AR in there.

Actually....the FAL's are just as easy to reverse as a AR. Its just a matter of replacing the latch hardware. (assuming thats how you pinned it)

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:11 PM
OK champ.

All these people must be idiots because they want an AR over a FAL.:rolleyes:
lol

You words. Not mine.

I call it personal preference. Nothing more.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:13 PM
In that case you're probably not open to enlightenment. It sounds like your mind is already made up.

How many different variations of the FAL do you own? More importantly: why?
I use to own one. I liked it, I want another. It's not an assault rifle, no .308 is. Not sure why it ever made the list.

The enlightenment request is because everyone seems to be treating these things as taboo sex, and I'm curious as to why?

There has to be more to it. Doesn't there?

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:16 PM
the point is that people want ARs. specifically, they want ones that when they get into a free state, are just as capable as every other AR in there. as such, they buy a bunch of lowers, and in my case, hope they make it to the list soon. In other peeps cases, they put a fixed mag setup in, but one that can be removed and replaced with a regular mag catch. that way, when they get our of the PRK, they have a great rifle.

as for FAL: the prob is that they will never be listed as AWs. as such, when you go to another state, you will still have a fixed mag FAL. but if WE go to a different state once these are listed as AWs, we will be just another person with a real AR. sure, they arent factory built complete, but that just adds to the coolness factor of having one: building your own.
Thank you for the answer.

So bear with me.

I don't want 5 of the same rifle. I like variety. Why do people want so many? Doesn't it seem a bit excessive?

mblat
01-10-2006, 9:19 PM

So bear with me.

I don't want 5 of the same rifle. I like variety. Why do people want so many? Doesn't it seem a bit excessive?

Considering wealth on configurations one can get with AR it isn't exactly "one rifle".

Black Majik
01-10-2006, 9:23 PM
Considering wealth on configurations one can get with AR it isn't exactly "one rifle".

Ditto that...

you can make a M4, then a 20" service rifle, a varminter, a midlength, a SBR, a CAR etc....

The AR platform is so modular that theres just way too many possibilities...

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:24 PM
Fair enough. But wouldn't you rather have some diversity?

Paradiddle
01-10-2006, 9:25 PM

Exactly what are you trying to get outta this thread? If there is a point, get to it.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:26 PM
Ditto that...

you can make a M4, then a 20" service rifle, a varminter, a midlength, a SBR, a CAR etc....

The AR platform is so modular that theres just way too many possibilities...
But. . .It's still an AR!

;)

To me, and this is a personal opinion only, it's like owning a bunch of 1911 45's. I want one nice one, and then something else.

MAYBE 2, but that would be it, and the 2nd would have to be awesome.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:27 PM
Exactly what are you trying to get outta this thread? If there is a point, get to it.
I'm getting exactly what I want out of it.

Jesus you guys are a bit. . .tight.

PanzerAce
01-10-2006, 9:28 PM

So bear with me.

well....Im going to try and build my self a varmint version, a M4 style version (ie: A2 (I think) upper with the integral carry handle and collapsable stock), and probably a version with all of the cool gadgets, lights, lasers, cool sights, forward hand grip, all the extra rails and the like. Then im going to have a spare or two just in case i feel like something else. (you know, a BMG if possible)

Also, I have alot of friends who are not now into shooting, and dont want a AR lower (I have tried guys, I tried), and I figure build a rifle just for my friends to borrow when we go to the range.

so thats why we all want more than one.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:29 PM
well....Im going to try and build my self a varmint version, a M4 style version (ie: A2 (I think) upper with the integral carry handle and collapsable stock), and probably a version with all of the cool gadgets, lights, lasers, cool sights, forward hand grip, all the extra rails and the like. Then im going to have a spare or two just in case i feel like something else. (you know, a BMG if possible)

Also, I have alot of friends who are not now into shooting, and dont want a AR lower (I have tried guys, I tried), and I figure build a rifle just for my friends to borrow when we go to the range.

Got it.

So. . .how long does a build take?

PanzerAce
01-10-2006, 9:34 PM
Got it.

So. . .how long does a build take?

for me? a couple months just to get enough money for some uppers. as for length of time it will take to actually BUILD the rifle, it proabably depends on the upper, how complete it is, what kits you use, etc. Course, I havent built one yet, so I have NO idea :P

Paradiddle
01-10-2006, 9:34 PM
I'm getting exactly what I want out of it.

Jesus you guys are a bit. . .tight.

You must be a fisherman.

Matt-man
01-10-2006, 9:36 PM
But. . .It's still an AR!

;)

To me, and this is a personal opinion only, it's like owning a bunch of 1911 45's. I want one nice one, and then something else.

MAYBE 2, but that would be it, and the 2nd would have to be awesome.

You're right. I gotta get rid of all those bolt action rifles I have, except for one. They're all the same.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:37 PM
for me? a couple months just to get enough money for some uppers. as for length of time it will take to actually BUILD the rifle, it proabably depends on the upper, how complete it is, what kits you use, etc. Course, I havent built one yet, so I have NO idea :P
When I was looking into the FN builds, they talk about barrel timing and headspace and things that just sound like they're a bit time consuming.

I can tear down and rebuild an engine, but this seems a bit daunting.

I guess the fact it can blow up in your face is part of it.

;)

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:38 PM
You're right. I gotta get rid of all those bolt action rifles I have, except for one. They're all the same.
*yawn*

Then that was piss poor planning buying the same makes and calibers and such.

GTKrockeTT
01-10-2006, 9:42 PM
they're really coming out of the woodwork now...

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:50 PM
*whizzzzzzz*

There went my point. ;)

I get that. I really do. It had nothing to do with what I said tho.

To me, it's like having 3 870 shotguns of different calibers. Why not get a Mossburg or something else.

But like I said. It's a personal preference. Don't take it so personally.

GTKrockeTT
01-10-2006, 9:52 PM
while i like the diversity...the multiple receivers are also insurance against what is likely a lifetime ban should i stay in CA. that in itself is a good enough reason for more than 1.

Major Miner II
01-10-2006, 9:54 PM
while i like the diversity...the multiple receivers are also insurance against what is likely a lifetime ban should i stay in CA. that in itself is a good enough reason for more than 1.
God.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to a lifelong ban.

The fed ban wen't away. Let's hope we get some common sense here too when the crime rate doesn't skyrocket.

jmlivingston
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
What exactly do you want the lower receivers for?

I'd like to build one out old-school style, with triangular handguards like the one I was issued when I served in the military.

1) Why people want more than 1, and

So that after I teach my son to shoot, we can both have one when we go shooting together.

2) Why would I want one.

You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

JM

Matt-man
01-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Three Remington 700s:

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/smsil_700bdl.jpg

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/images/smallarms/m24_lg.jpg

http://www.icantping.com/~mmasuda/images/boom/xtc-700.jpg

Now, according to your logic, these are all the same. Or at least, if I were to own three rifles like this then they should be from three manufacturers simply for diversity's sake. I must say I don't understand that - if a platform has proven itself to excel at many tasks, using it for all of them simplifies life.

And on top of that, I bet many of us have collections that are plenty diverse. Adding one or four ARs only makes it more so. Who says the guy buying five AR receivers doesn't already have an M1A, a FAL, a Mini-14, two SKSs, and an AK?

The California AWB already is a lifelong ban. It doesn't have a sunset clause like the federal ban did. If you think common sense is going to prevail, you haven't been paying attention to all the new restrictions gun owners have seen over the past several years.

Hopi
01-10-2006, 10:37 PM

So bear with me.

You DON'T want 5 of the same rifle?!?? Why the hell not? Are you crazy?!
C'mon Chief, get with the program...:cool:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/wed.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/P10100082.jpg

GTKrockeTT
01-10-2006, 10:41 PM
You DON'T want 5 of the same rifle?!?? Why the hell not? Are you crazy?!
C'mon Chief, get with the program...:cool:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/wed.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/hopi420/P10100082.jpg

i'm not impressed...:D

PanzerAce
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
When I was looking into the FN builds, they talk about barrel timing and headspace and things that just sound like they're a bit time consuming.

;)

I can also tear down and rebuild an engine. Hell, I did it with an old I-4 from a 944 Turbo and a modern I-6 from a BMW 5 series. as for headspace/barrel timing: think of it as getting the cams lined up right relative to TDC and BDC. or getting the timing on the ignition right, hell, maybe even setting the idle screw right on a carb engine. also, AFAIK, the so called "complete uppers" have all of that pre done, you just slap on the upper and buttstock and your in the clear (maybe not, but like i said earlier, first build for me)

BigAL
01-11-2006, 6:03 AM

;)

An AR is probably one of the easiest rifles to do a build on. The headspacing issue is done at the factory when they put the barrel extension on the barrel. There is no careful hand fitting required either. The last build I did involved parts from probably a dozen different AR makers and everything dropped in.

mblat
01-11-2006, 7:10 AM
mblat wrote:

Well, if one would want some diversity from his sex life, he wouldn't be sutisfied with women of different sizes and color..... He would have to go and find something more diverse:D

Clodbuster
01-11-2006, 5:42 PM
If your dreams come true and these become AWs, having other people use or borrow it could land you in trouble.

Clod

)

PanzerAce
01-11-2006, 6:01 PM
not if I am right next to them on the range, as far as I know.

Guinness
01-11-2006, 8:20 PM
Thats alotta Swiss Misses there Hopi!!

Clodbuster
01-11-2006, 8:43 PM
As long as you are close by, it's fine. Never leave them alone with it.

Clod

not if I am right next to them on the range, as far as I know.

PanzerAce
01-11-2006, 9:04 PM
what, leave them allone with a 1300+ dollar (including scopes etc) rifle? as if.

MicronuT
01-12-2006, 8:12 PM
january 2006

Stanze
02-01-2006, 8:33 PM
helpful info here, btt.:)