PDA

View Full Version : CGF Legal contact info?

Rooftop Voter
02-04-2010, 2:15 PM
I am on day 1 of my 10-day waiting period for a firearm that my dealer has me wigging out about because he kept asking "are you sure this is legal...?" He started the DROS today but his questioning has been ringing in my head for the rest of the day and that thread (bogus or not) about CA DOJ coming to some guy's door and asking to "inspect" his H&K SP89 has my mind in overdrive... :(
I know I should be happy about welcoming another CA legally configured weapon into this *^%$#@! state but I'm a bit nervous and I'd like to have some legal "backup on speed dial... if you know what I mean! ;) :o

Rooftop Voter
02-04-2010, 2:32 PM
aha! just found it!
800-556-2109

wildhawker
02-04-2010, 2:43 PM
I am on day 1 of my 10-day waiting period for a firearm that my dealer has me wigging out about because he kept asking "are you sure this is legal...?" He started the DROS today but his questioning has been ringing in my head for the rest of the day and that thread (bogus or not) about CA DOJ coming to some guy's door and asking to "inspect" his H&K SP89 has my mind in overdrive... :(
I know I should be happy about welcoming another CA legally configured weapon into this *^%$#@! state but I'm a bit nervous and I'd like to have some legal "backup on speed dial... if you know what I mean! ;) :o

Never consent to a search. Period. Just say no.

Make them come back with a warrant, if they can,, and in the meantime call CGF.

CHS
02-04-2010, 3:33 PM
If your FFL has to ask YOU if your gun is legal, get a new FFL. It's THEIR job to either know, or refuse the business if they don't know.

Also, YOU too should know before having a questionable gun transferred in. You should know with certainty and WHY, and be able to articulate why when your FFL asks you.

boxbro
02-04-2010, 3:38 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&d=1261674969

Rooftop Voter
02-04-2010, 6:00 PM
If your FFL has to ask YOU if your gun is legal, get a new FFL. It's THEIR job to either know, or refuse the business if they don't know.

Also, YOU too should know before having a questionable gun transferred in. You should know with certainty and WHY, and be able to articulate why when your FFL asks you.

I went to him in person before I ordered it and we discussed what I wanted and he sounded like he was okay with it at that time.
Now that I think about it - Before I left I clearly described how I am going to configure it so it WILL BE LEGAL but I know that my FFL wont be the one knocking at my door! My FFL didnt ask me about it after I went through it with him...

dantodd
02-04-2010, 8:13 PM
I went to him in person before I ordered it and we discussed what I wanted and he sounded like he was okay with it at that time.
Now that I think about it - Before I left I clearly described how I am going to configure it so it WILL BE LEGAL but I know that my FFL wont be the one knocking at my door! My FFL didnt ask me about it after I went through it with him...

If you are in full compliance and your FFL is willing to make the transfer relax, don't worry and have a homebrew. (Sorry; wrong forum, but it still applies)

Just keep the flowchart handy and follow it very carefully. If you have ANY DOUBTS at all do not attach the upper to the lower receiver and ask your questions here or in the centerfire forum.

hoffmang
02-04-2010, 9:08 PM
aha! just found it!
800-556-2109

You can also just email me at hoffmang at hoffmang.com or PM/email any of the other board members who post here.

-Gene

Lateralus
02-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Gene-

The number I have saved is 1-650-275-1015. Which is preferable in a must call situation?

tenpercentfirearms
02-05-2010, 5:45 AM

As was stated it might be my job as an FFL to know the law, but it is important that you as a customer know the law and be able to explain it to me. There are other areas I don't specialize in and you might be able to educate me. And naturally I might ask, "Are you sure about this? Please explain it one more time." That is part of the process of me figuring out if I want to say yes or no.

And I could still as a dealer start DROS and change my mind. That is my right. I think we have done that before.

If he has started the DROS, don't sweat it, but help him understand why it is legal and also give him the CALGUNS Foundation info and tell him if the DOJ decides to screw with him, to not say anything and get a hold of us. Tell him he has nothing to fear, but the DOJ will attempt to take advantage of dealers they smell weakness out of. Or don't tell him that until you have the gun in your possession.

dantodd
02-05-2010, 7:30 AM
As was stated it might be my job as an FFL to know the law, but it is important that you as a customer know the law and be able to explain it to me. There are other areas I don't specialize in and you might be able to educate me. And naturally I might ask, "Are you sure about this? Please explain it one more time." That is part of the process of me figuring out if I want to say yes or no.

And I could still as a dealer start DROS and change my mind. That is my right. I think we have done that before.

If he has started the DROS, don't sweat it, but help him understand why it is legal and also give him the CALGUNS Foundation info and tell him if the DOJ decides to screw with him, to not say anything and get a hold of us. Tell him he has nothing to fear, but the DOJ will attempt to take advantage of dealers they smell weakness out of. Or don't tell him that until you have the gun in your possession.

I agree. It's refreshing to hear an FFL who is willing to listen and learn. Not everyone is going to be proactive in OLLs but if we can get them to listen and look at the law and other documentation it is a big win.

Unless his FFL is asking more questions I'd let sleeping dogs lie until it's time to pick up the gun. Then leave him with a couple copies of the flowchart and the URL to the forums.

hoffmang
02-05-2010, 5:42 PM
Gene-

The number I have saved is 1-650-275-1015. Which is preferable in a must call situation?

If the phone in question requires quarters, use the 800 number. If you can bill it later, use 650. It rings the same place.

-Gene