PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Apply for the California Redistricting Commission

Eric Mayer
02-04-2010, 8:40 AM
We only have until February 12, 2010. If you want a chance to be on the redistricting commission, apply online at the following link:

http://wedrawthelines.ca.gov/

If we can get a few hundred of us to apply, there will be a good chance we can have some type of representation around the state to make sure the lines are drawn fairly.

Eric :cool:

PatriotnMore
02-04-2010, 8:50 AM
Good stuff, I sent in my info, we'll see if they get back to me.

Curtis
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm in.....or at least my application has been submitted.

Peaceful John
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Application submitted, Eric. Thanks for the heads-up.

wildhawker
02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Submitted phase 1...

Deadred7o7
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Done -T/Y

D-Man
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Done.

zum
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
:( i havent done none of those things they are asking

To bad because it sounds intresting

Blood Ocean
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm in

Blood Ocean
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow that was fast, received in email:
Your application has been received. Your responses to the questions
on the initial application indicate that you satisfy the eligibility
requirements for serving as a member of the Citizens Redistricting
Commission and you do not have any disqualifying conflicts of
interest. You should receive your next notification during the week
of February 14, 2010, when you will be asked to complete a
supplemental application that will help the Applicant Review Panel to
evaluate your qualifications to serve as a commissioner. If you
have any questions, contact us by e-mail at
votersfirstact@auditor.ca.gov or call 1-866-356-5217.

PatriotnMore
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
OK, I have not received an email from them which has me wondering. Of those who have heard back, did you list a party affiliation? and which party did you list?

Wow that was fast, received in email:
Your application has been received. Your responses to the questions
on the initial application indicate that you satisfy the eligibility
requirements for serving as a member of the Citizens Redistricting
Commission and you do not have any disqualifying conflicts of
interest. You should receive your next notification during the week
of February 14, 2010, when you will be asked to complete a
supplemental application that will help the Applicant Review Panel to
evaluate your qualifications to serve as a commissioner. If you
have any questions, contact us by e-mail at
votersfirstact@auditor.ca.gov or call 1-866-356-5217.

Nose Nuggets
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Everyone applying is aware that this is pretty much a full time job for 8 months in 2011?

9. Can I keep my current job and still serve on the Commission?

The Commission’s primary redistricting duties will commence no later than January 1, 2011, and end no later than September 15, 2011. During this eight and a half month period, Commission members will be working toward the adoption of three final maps that separately define the district boundaries for the Senate, Assembly, and State Board of Equalization. The Commission members will have a presently unknown amount of staff to assist them in the performance of their duties. However, there will be tasks that only a Commission member may perform including, but not limited to, holding open meetings at locations throughout the State, reviewing and discussing data that is pertinent to deciding on the geographic boundaries for the different districts, and, voting to approve the final maps.

A person’s ability to perform the duties of other employment while serving on the Commission will depend on the nature of the employment, but an applicant should assume that his or her time will have to be devoted primarily to the work of the Commission during the eight and a half months that the Commission members are working toward the approval of the final maps. To encourage service on the Commission, the Act provides that no employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, or retaliate against any employee for attending a Commission meeting.

Following the approval of the final maps, the duties of the Commission will be centered on functions such as resolving legal disputes that might arise regarding the redrawn districts and ceremonial activities that the Commission determines to be necessary. During this period, the Commission’s responsibilities should be flexible enough to permit a normal employment schedule.

http://wedrawthelines.ca.gov/faq.html

sorensen440
02-04-2010, 1:07 PM
Everyone applying is aware that this is pretty much a full time job for 8 months in 2011?

9. Can I keep my current job and still serve on the Commission?

The Commission’s primary redistricting duties will commence no later than January 1, 2011, and end no later than September 15, 2011. During this eight and a half month period, Commission members will be working toward the adoption of three final maps that separately define the district boundaries for the Senate, Assembly, and State Board of Equalization. The Commission members will have a presently unknown amount of staff to assist them in the performance of their duties. However, there will be tasks that only a Commission member may perform including, but not limited to, holding open meetings at locations throughout the State, reviewing and discussing data that is pertinent to deciding on the geographic boundaries for the different districts, and, voting to approve the final maps.

A person’s ability to perform the duties of other employment while serving on the Commission will depend on the nature of the employment, but an applicant should assume that his or her time will have to be devoted primarily to the work of the Commission during the eight and a half months that the Commission members are working toward the approval of the final maps. To encourage service on the Commission, the Act provides that no employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, or retaliate against any employee for attending a Commission meeting.

Following the approval of the final maps, the duties of the Commission will be centered on functions such as resolving legal disputes that might arise regarding the redrawn districts and ceremonial activities that the Commission determines to be necessary. During this period, the Commission’s responsibilities should be flexible enough to permit a normal employment schedule.

http://wedrawthelines.ca.gov/faq.html
This is true
Many of us have jobs though that would allow us to make time for something like this

Oh and also

7. Will Commission members be paid?

The Act specifies that members of the Commission will be compensated at the rate of $300 for each day a commissioner is engaged in Commission business. The Act also allows for reimbursement for personal expenses incurred in connection with the duties required of commissioners.

Peaceful John
02-04-2010, 1:12 PM
My application was declined as:

"Your party registration has not remained the same since November 18, 2005"

Well, they caught me. A year or two ago I changed from Republican to Independent. Finally had enough of the R's and went with the only group that had not to that time frustrated me up to here. Who knew the dreadful consequences?

PatriotnMore
02-04-2010, 1:19 PM
I just received my confirmation (not declined) also, I am and have been registered as a Republican.

Nose Nuggets
02-04-2010, 1:24 PM
This is true
Many of us have jobs though that would allow us to make time for something like this

Oh and also

Yeah, $300 a day is not terrible. depending on where you live, it might not be enough though. I just wanted people to be aware that this is not a 2 nights a week kind of gig. there will be travel, there will be obligations that you need to keep, etc.

galekowitz
02-04-2010, 2:15 PM
L.A. Times article with groups complaining that there are too many white males eligible for the comission and not enough minorities.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-redistricting4-2010feb04,0,4978584.story

Nose Nuggets
02-04-2010, 2:47 PM
L.A. Times article with groups complaining that there are too many white males eligible for the comission and not enough minorities.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-redistricting4-2010feb04,0,4978584.story

Then sign the f up minorities. sheesh. Cant help it if more white males want to do it, can we?

OlderThanDirt
02-04-2010, 4:43 PM
Just another f---ing white male applying for a pay cut. The requirement that you have consistently voted is sure to knock out a huge number of people.

My favorite part of the website:

Don't have access to the internet or your computer is in the shop?

California public libraries are a great resource and are committed to make it easy for you to apply by having computers and internet service available for anyone who needs it. Need help in finding your local library? Use this great resource.

Nose Nuggets
02-04-2010, 5:16 PM
Just another f---ing white male applying for a pay cut. The requirement that you have consistently voted is sure to knock out a huge number of people.

My favorite part of the website:

ROFL! use this great resource on the internet to find a library in the event you don't have access to the internet! genius!

Lone_Gunman
02-04-2010, 6:34 PM
Unfortunately I am not eligible as I switched my party affiliation to "Decline to State" in '08. One of the requirements is you have to have had the same party affiliation for the last 5 years. Too bad I would be all over it.

Nose Nuggets
02-04-2010, 7:16 PM
Unfortunately I am not eligible as I switched my party affiliation to "Decline to State" in '08. One of the requirements is you have to have had the same party affiliation for the last 5 years. Too bad I would be all over it.

Whats the reasoning for this stipulation?

Spelunker
02-04-2010, 7:17 PM
I got myself onto "The List". I've got a little change for you California. Lets see if I make it to the second list.

Alaric
02-04-2010, 7:41 PM
This is what got me...

VOLUNTARY WAIVER OF PRIVACY RIGHTS AND BUREAU LIABILITY

By applying to be a commissioner, you are waiving your privacy rights under various state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, the Information Practices Act (Cal. Civil Code § 1798 et seq.). Accordingly, by waiving your privacy rights, you are agreeing to permit the bureau to release any and all information submitted by or about you, EXCEPT that the bureau will not post on the Internet your date of birth, current physical, mailing, and email addresses (excluding the city and county), and telephone numbers, or the addresses and telephone numbers of your immediate family members. At this point in the process, the bureau will not collect, and please do not voluntarily submit to the bureau, your social security number, driver's license number, financial account numbers, or health information. By submitting your application, you acknowledge and consent to the release of the information you and others are providing related to you, and except as specifically provided above, you are waiving your right to privacy regarding all information relating to you and your application to serve as a commissioner. This waiver authorizes the bureau to make public information submitted by or about you for a period of twelve (12) years from the date of your application, even if you are not selected as a commissioner, and you are providing this waiver voluntarily, understanding that the bureau shall not be legally liable as a result of the release of information submitted by or about you.

Uh, NO.

dantodd
02-04-2010, 9:36 PM
This is what got me...

VOLUNTARY WAIVER OF PRIVACY RIGHTS AND BUREAU LIABILITY

By applying to be a commissioner, you are waiving your privacy rights under various state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, the Information Practices Act (Cal. Civil Code § 1798 et seq.). Accordingly, by waiving your privacy rights, you are agreeing to permit the bureau to release any and all information submitted by or about you, EXCEPT that the bureau will not post on the Internet your date of birth, current physical, mailing, and email addresses (excluding the city and county), and telephone numbers, or the addresses and telephone numbers of your immediate family members. At this point in the process, the bureau will not collect, and please do not voluntarily submit to the bureau, your social security number, driver's license number, financial account numbers, or health information. By submitting your application, you acknowledge and consent to the release of the information you and others are providing related to you, and except as specifically provided above, you are waiving your right to privacy regarding all information relating to you and your application to serve as a commissioner. This waiver authorizes the bureau to make public information submitted by or about you for a period of twelve (12) years from the date of your application, even if you are not selected as a commissioner, and you are providing this waiver voluntarily, understanding that the bureau shall not be legally liable as a result of the release of information submitted by or about you.

Uh, NO.

You would prefer that the redistricting was done by a secret panel?

Alaric
02-04-2010, 9:49 PM
You would prefer that the redistricting was done by a secret panel?

I would prefer that I didn't have to sacrifice all my privacy rights just to apply for such a position.

It's bad enough that they want to know things that would get any private "employer" into an instant civil lawsuit, but that they can outright reject you for your age, race, sex, voter registration, and other highly personal details is utterly outrageous. What happened to getting the best candidates for the job?

Window_Seat
02-04-2010, 9:50 PM
I don't have a problem with the public knowing that I'm an "LTL Truck Driver" who lives in "Newark, CA", and is a (D)... "Oh no (whispers the enemy)"...:eek:

spddrcr
02-05-2010, 8:24 AM
I changed my party affiliation before the presidential election so im out:rolleyes:

sholling
02-05-2010, 9:07 AM
It's bad enough that they want to know things that would get any private "employer" into an instant civil lawsuit,
The PEOPLE have a right to know exactly who is representing their interests on the commission.

but that they can outright reject you for your age, race, sex,
Exactly where does it say that?

voter registration
Did you miss the goal of the redistricting commission? They are required by law to have an even distribution of members by party. That's why they have to know what party that you belong to and they have to know that you have been a member of that party long enough to assure that you did not change affiliation to skew the results of redistricting.

What happened to getting the best candidates for the job?
That is exactly what they are trying to do. It took 40 years of hard work to get redistricting reform of any kind so if you're not rowing get out of the boat.

Alaric
02-05-2010, 1:31 PM
The PEOPLE have a right to know exactly who is representing their interests on the commission.

I won't argue with that. But why should I have to write off ALL my privacy rights for just the opportunity to apply to the commission. If I were to be appointed, then ok, but just to apply seems like a bit much to me.

Exactly where does it say that?

They ask for all that information in the application.

Did you miss the goal of the redistricting commission? They are required by law to have an even distribution of members by party. That's why they have to know what party that you belong to and they have to know that you have been a member of that party long enough to assure that you did not change affiliation to skew the results of redistricting.

So in a state dominated by Democrats they can insure that the redistricting commission is appropriately dominated by Democrats to reform gerrymandered district lines drawn by Democrats. Explain how this is reform again?

That is exactly what they are trying to do. It took 40 years of hard work to get redistricting reform of any kind so if you're not rowing get out of the boat.

I prefer to think of myself as the bilge pump that helps keep the boat afloat. :nuts: Or, er, yeah.

spencerhut
02-05-2010, 1:57 PM
Submitted Phase 1

fred40
02-05-2010, 2:36 PM
phase 1 completed

sholling
02-05-2010, 3:23 PM
Race information is for statics only. That way nobdoy can scream racism. Here is the breakdown from the LA Times:
With the Feb. 12 application deadline looming, more than 73% of the 13,905 tentatively eligible residents who have asked for one of the commission's 14 seats are non-Hispanic whites. Nearly 70% are men. Not even 5% are Asian Americans, who make up more than 12% of the state's population. Latinos are roughly 10% of tentatively eligible applicants, although they are 36% of state residents. Black applicants are on par with their segment of the population. The statistics are publicly available at wedrawthelines.ca.gov.
So in a state dominated by Democrats they can insure that the redistricting commission is appropriately dominated by Democrats to reform gerrymandered district lines drawn by Democrats. Explain how this is reform again?
When there are EQUAL numbers of democrats and republicans on the commission how are the democrats going to gerrymander? But perhaps you'd like us to wait another 40 years to do something to try to fix the problem. It's taken the work of tens of thousands of Californians over 40 years and three ballot propositions to get one passed by the voters.

Prop 11:

Changes authority for establishing Assembly, Senate, and Board of Equalization district boundaries from elected representatives to 14 member commission.
Requires government auditors to select 60 registered voters from applicant pool. Permits legislative leaders to reduce pool, then the auditors pick eight commission members by lottery, and those commissioners pick six additional members for 14 total.
Requires commission of five Democrats, five Republicans and four of neither party. Commission shall hire lawyers and consultants as needed.
For approval, district boundaries need votes from three Democratic commissioners, three Republican commissioners and three commissioners from neither party.

So the bottom line is we can either participate in trying to end gerrymandering or just sit back and complain while others do the work.

Alaric
02-05-2010, 6:47 PM
Requires commission of five Democrats, five Republicans and four of neither party. Commission shall hire lawyers and consultants as needed.

Interesting. I was missing that part as I thought the mix was supposed to be proportional to the %'s of registered voters. Thanks for clearing that up. No wonder the state Democratic party was so strongly opposed to it. It fails to take their majority into account.

And no, I don't oppose this initiative (I voted for it), but I decline to apply personally due to the privacy provisions.

bigcalidave
02-06-2010, 2:12 AM
I'm very excited for the redistricting. I really hope that we end up well represented, although in CA I really doubt that we can have a fair representation no matter the district.

What could really be done to fix the districts?

sholling
02-06-2010, 7:44 AM
I'm very excited for the redistricting. I really hope that we end up well represented, although in CA I really doubt that we can have a fair representation no matter the district.

What could really be done to fix the districts?
To me the ideal would be to draw compact districts based as much as city/county boundaries without looking at voter registration roles. That way it doesn't take a ton of research to find out who your rep is.

Mitch
02-06-2010, 7:49 AM
If we can get a few hundred of us to apply, there will be a good chance we can have some type of representation around the state to make sure the lines are drawn fairly.

Unless they are drawn by a computer working purely from numbers of registered voters, it's hard to believe they will ever be drawn fairly.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 8:19 AM
To me the ideal would be to draw compact districts based as much as city/county boundaries without looking at voter registration roles. That way it doesn't take a ton of research to find out who your rep is.

Letting a computer actually do it based on population, eligible voter numbers, municipal and county boundaries, would of course be the least biased way to re-district; which is exactly why it will never be done that way.

thegratenate
02-06-2010, 8:55 AM
I am at an impasse, does anyone know for sure about the definition of state office? Does the local school board count?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
02-06-2010, 1:20 PM
Put my app in. Can't hurt to try...

sholling
02-08-2010, 2:34 PM
The new deadline is 5PM February 16th.

http://www.wedrawthelines.ca.gov/

Apply for the Commission Online—December 15, 2009 through February 16, 2010. Learn about the general application and selection process and timeline.

putput
02-18-2010, 9:43 AM
So, did anyone else get an invitation to submit a supplemental application?

PatriotnMore
02-18-2010, 9:47 AM
Yes, and I am in the process of the supplemental application. Dang, three letters of recommendation, assorted in your own words essays, explaining why you want to be on the commission, job history, ect..

So, did anyone else get an invitation to submit a supplemental application?

berto
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
The weed out begins with the supplemental application. A lot of people won't bother. I'll start on mine today.

Window_Seat
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I'll be starting mine this weekend. I can knock 3 essays out in less than an hour.:cool: As far as the letters of recommendation...:sweatdrop:

Erik.

PatriotnMore
04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
OK, so all the applications filled out letters of recommendation turned in, and now the wait. Personally, I am not holding my breath, there are over 30K applicants competing for 14 spots.

But I did put in the effort.

Lone_Gunman
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Well done those of you who are going ahead with this. It would be awesome if one of you got on the panel. If you do, please consider pushing for districts based on purely geographical lines. I would love to see distficts broken up by County an then if the county is too big break it in to two districts at it's geographical center or 3 districts by thirds. It seems the reps would have to actually serve the people locally or get voted out then.

zinfull
04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I got to the second stage and gave up. The information on myself being public is fine but when they want all relatives and the required info I could not in good faith have that public. I was going for the appointment and should be judged by myself. They could investigate later if needed.

jerry

PatriotnMore
04-16-2010, 11:45 AM
I understand, I vacillated on the application information myself, and giving out all the information they are asking for, but went through it because I think it's very important.

Knowing they are going to select only the best candidates on paper, I again, doubt I will be one of the 14, from all who have applied.

I got to the second stage and gave up. The information on myself being public is fine but when they want all relatives and the required info I could not in good faith have that public. I was going for the appointment and should be judged by myself. They could investigate later if needed.

jerry

tpuig
04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I also got to this stage and decided not to continue. It's not my personal info that I'm concerned about, but the others involved.

jerry

Nodda Duma
04-16-2010, 2:59 PM
You guys have obviously never applied for a clearance. The reason they ask for info on relatives is to ensure no conflicts of interests, mafia ties, etc. etc.

zinfull
04-16-2010, 4:02 PM
I had 2 Top Secret clearances already. They did not post my family or my information on the web. The conflict of interest could be asked then when it got to about 100 or so apps then they could dig more. They want all this info and put it for all to see. My info yes, relatives no.
jerry

Here are the relatives you have to report

You must provide information about each living family member described in this paragraph. Information about each applicant's family members is necessary to determine whether an applicant has a conflict of interest that would prohibit the applicant from serving on the commission. In this part of the application, you must provide information about your living parents, spouse, registered domestic partner (RDP), children, siblings, parents in-law, siblings in-law, sons and daughters in-law. Step-parents, step-children, and step-siblings count as parents, children, and siblings.

Then
PERMISSION TO USE AND RELEASE PERSONAL INFORMATION

By submitting this application, you acknowledge that the application, all documents submitted in support of your application, including a Statement of Economic Interests (FPPC Form 700), if you are asked to submit one, letters of recommendation, materials generated as a result of any bureau or Applicant Review Panel investigation of you, and all comments about and responses to comments about your application are public records. You agree that the bureau shall provide copies of these materials to members of the public and the press, members and staff of the Applicant Review Panel, bureau staff, the Legislature, the commission, and as otherwise compelled by law. You understand that members of the Applicant Review Panel and the public may make public statements about you. You authorize the bureau to use the information submitted by and about you as the bureau deems necessary to select commissioners and replacement commissioners or otherwise comply with its legal duties, and you also authorize the bureau to post all materials related to your application to serve on the commission on its website.

tpuig
04-16-2010, 4:21 PM
Obviously.

Top Secret here in USAF and Army, as well as Federal agencies. And i'm sure others will be happy to correct your observation...

You guys have obviously never applied for a clearance. The reason they ask for info on relatives is to ensure no conflicts of interests, mafia ties, etc. etc.

PatriotnMore
04-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Have any of you who did submit all the information required looked at some of the letters of recommendation, by others?

There are more than a few important titles, and positions being mentioned to support candidates. This process has been interesting.

Nodda Duma
04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Obviously.

Top Secret here in USAF and Army, as well as Federal agencies. And i'm sure others will be happy to correct your observation...

ah..didn't see the part about posting relative information publicly. Yeah they don't do that for clearances. The analog only goes so far, and then you realize it is for a public position. :rolleyes:

-Jason