PDA

View Full Version : Where are illegal guns coming from?

Swiss
02-03-2010, 8:57 PM
My local PD is planning a multi-pronged offensive against illegal guns in an effort to reduce the gun violence that plagues us. From what I know so far, I support the effort entirely.

I have one question that I wasn't able to get answered, and was wondering if anyone here knows a neutral source for more research:

In rough percentages, where are the illegal guns in California's high crime cities coming from? The categories I'm thinking about are locally stolen, local straw buyers, inter-state illegal buys (primarily Nevada), and cross-border smuggling.

Thanks in advance.

Timberwolf
02-03-2010, 9:05 PM
Drugs aren't the only thing that cross our southern border

eric2063
02-03-2010, 9:28 PM
Having worked the rural areas of Contra Costa I bet stolen and straw purchases would be on top of the list. There would most likely be more stolen weapons in West County and then straw purchases on the east side. But that doesn’t count the lovely community of Gun Point, those would be stolen as well. I miss the sounds of gun fire in the early summer evenings in San Pablo and Bay Point, ah the sounds of my youth :)

Librarian
02-03-2010, 9:32 PM
Neutral?

I don't think so.

Moderately close to 'neutral' is 'Firearms Use By Offenders (http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/ascii/fuo.txt)', revised in 2002.

Among prisoners who carried a firearm
during the offense for which they were
serving time in 1997, 14% had bought or
traded for the gun from a store, pawnshop,
flea market, or gun show. The 1997 percentage
who had acquired their firearm at a retail
outlet represented a significant drop from
21% in 1991. The percentage of inmates
receiving their gun from family or friends
rose from 34% in 1991 to 40% in 1997.

Data for this report are based primarily on
personal interviews with large nationally
representative samples of State and Federal
prison inmates.

Mstrty
02-03-2010, 9:38 PM
what defines an illegal gun? I have never seen an illegal gun. Please stop calling guns illegal. People that possess guns they arent allowed to have doesnt make the gun illegal in any way. Money isnt illegal. Steeling money from a bank is.:D

jphaxx
02-03-2010, 9:41 PM
what defines an illegal gun? I have never seen an illegal gun. Please stop calling guns illegal. People that possess guns they arent allowed to have doesnt make the gun illegal in any way. Money isnt illegal. Steeling money from a bank is.:D

Stealing money is illegal... unless you're Wall street

Vinz
02-03-2010, 9:46 PM
My local PD is planning a multi-pronged offensive against illegal guns in an effort to reduce the gun violence that plagues us. From what I know so far, I support the effort entirely.

I have one question that I wasn't able to get answered, and was wondering if anyone here knows a neutral source for more research:

In rough percentages, where are the illegal guns in California's high crime cities coming from? The categories I'm thinking about are locally stolen, local straw buyers, inter-state illegal buys (primarily Nevada), and cross-border smuggling.

Thanks in advance.

black market of stolen or straw purchase and CIA gun redistribution program of 1979.

vinz

ALSystems
02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Stealing money is illegal... unless you're Wall street
Governments just print more money until the money you have is practically worthless. That seems to be where we are headed. :(

Meplat
02-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Thanks in advance.

This country is awash in guns. Take a look at the total production of Colt, Smith & Wession, Iver Johnson, Ruger, H&R, and a multidude of others, and get back to me.

It is not the gun. It is the user. Gey over it.

CalNRA
02-03-2010, 11:59 PM
It is not the gun. It is the user. Gey over it.

:eek:

Carnivore
02-04-2010, 12:40 AM
By far the guns that are being used illegally come from thefts and break in's. People break an enter, find the hand guns, trade them for drugs, dealers sell the guns to get the money back. Gun is then used by higher criminal or by the dealer himself for defense. There are some straw purchases but they are usually very cheap hand guns...not glocks, Sig, Smith etc. These guns are way to expensive to buy just to knock off a liqueur store for 100 bucks.