PDA

View Full Version : Legal or Not Legal?

dfletcher
02-03-2010, 4:07 PM
An interesting post from the Ruger Forum, I'll summarize and attach the link.

The lower frame of a Ruger 22 semi auto pistol is not serial numbered, it is not considered "the gun" part of the firearm - the upper receiver and barrel are serial numbered and are considered "the gun".

Company A sells an upper receiver unit that attaches to the frame of a Ruger 22 semi auto pistol in lieu of the factory upper receiver. The Company A upper receiver unit is serial numbered and is considered a firearm. It consists of a stock and a barrel greater than 16". By attaching the shoulder stocked, 16" barreled upper receiver unit to the frame of Ruger 22 pistol frame a rifle is created.

Question is - although configuring from handgun to rifle and back to handgun is usually illegal (see attached ATF letter) does this firearm fall into that category?

The frame is not a gun and it is the part being reconfigured.

Here's the link:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=76589&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

So, can one legally remove the handgun upper, pop on the stocked rifle upper and then put back on the handgun upper?

wildhawker
02-03-2010, 4:17 PM
I'll have to research it a bit, but it sounds like a Thompson/Center (http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html) scenario.

pepsi2451
02-03-2010, 4:56 PM
Seems like both uppers would be considered separate firearms and each would need a serial number. If thats the case all you are doing is swapping a part from one firearm to another.

alex00
02-03-2010, 5:05 PM
Since the buttstock is never attached to the pistol reciever itself, it looks legal. An oversimplification would be sharing the same pistol grip between an AR-type pistol and an AR-type rifle.

dfletcher
02-03-2010, 5:10 PM
I'll have to research it a bit, but it sounds like a Thompson/Center (http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html) scenario.

My first thought also as well as the Mech Tech set up - but on the T/C & Mech Tech the serial numbered part is the frame & the frame is the part being reconfigured. On this thing though the part being reconfigured is a nonserial numbered part.

A very loose comparison would be what if the upper on an AR were "the gun" and the lower was not, just a part. I know there are technical differences which make the example not work exactly, but in principle.

dfletcher
02-03-2010, 5:13 PM
Seems like both uppers would be considered separate firearms and each would need a serial number. If thats the case all you are doing is swapping a part from one firearm to another.

That's the info I have, but I don't own a Ruger semi pistol so can't verify - the upper receiver is serial numbered on the Ruger, the upper receiver of this item is serial numbered so each is considered the firearm.

B Strong
02-03-2010, 5:19 PM
That's the info I have, but I don't own a Ruger semi pistol so can't verify - the upper receiver is serial numbered on the Ruger, the upper receiver of this item is serial numbered so each is considered the firearm.

The upper is the serial numbered part of a Ruger Mk. type .22 pistol.

wildhawker
02-03-2010, 5:20 PM
My first thought also as well as the Mech Tech set up - but on the T/C & Mech Tech the serial numbered part is the frame & the frame is the part being reconfigured. On this thing though the part being reconfigured is a nonserial numbered part.

A very loose comparison would be what if the upper on an AR were "the gun" and the lower was not, just a part. I know there are technical differences which make the example not work exactly, but in principle.

Similar to a Sig 556 & HK91 (etc), where the upper is serialized and the lower assembly is not.

ETA: OAL is greater than 26", bbl 16.25

Technical Specifications:

Type: Semi-Auto Rifle
Caliber: .22LR
Barrel Length: 16.25”
Barrel Type: 1:16 RH twist
Overall Length: 26.25”
Weight: 3.2 lbs Assembled (with 22/45 grip frame)
Stock: 2 Position Telescoping
Finish: Black Hardcoat Anodized

The upper, in this case, is actually a title 1 firearm with a buttstock (hence, rifle). The pistol grip exchange is irrelevant, and since it's a rimfire AW rules don't apply.

dfletcher
02-03-2010, 9:31 PM
Interesting, the lower frame is just a part. What if the wire stock were removed from the upper? What does it become, is it illegal?

What if the upper were manufactured with no wire stock and the OAL was less than 26" - would it be considered a handgun, AOW?

wildhawker
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Interesting, the lower frame is just a part. What if the wire stock were removed from the upper? What does it become, is it illegal?

What if the upper were manufactured with no wire stock and the OAL was less than 26" - would it be considered a handgun, AOW?

If the buttstock were removed you would be creating an illegal handgun from a rifle. With no buttstock from the factory, <16" barrel and <26" OAL it would simply be a title 1 firearm (not a handgun and not a rifle, just as with a Sig 556) without being assembled together with other requisite classifying components.

(a) (1) As used in this title, the terms "pistol,"
"revolver," and "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"
shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a
weapon, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any
explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less
than 16 inches in length. These terms also include any device that
has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be
interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.