PDA

View Full Version : Nevada CCW info needed.

MCRACER82
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I see classes for Utah and Florida CCW's being offered in SoCal. Does anyone offer a Nevada class? Do you have to be in Nevada at the time of the class? I know Nevada offers a non-resident CCW, but I never seen a class offered outside of that State.

Big Jake
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
All training for a Nevada ccw must be done in Nevada. I know a great instructor who splits time between Las Vegas and L.A. He is very professional and reasonably priced.

His name is Roland Esparza and he can be reached by e-mail at ssprotection@hotmail.com

When you contact him tell him that Big Jake from Calguns sent you as I know him well. And no, I don't get a commision for referrals.

Good luck!

MCRACER82
02-03-2010, 1:15 PM
All training for a Nevada ccw must be done in Nevada. I know a great instructor who splits time between Las Vegas and L.A. He is very professional and reasonably priced.

His name is Roland Esparza and he can be reached by e-mail at ssprotection@hotmail.com

When you contact him tell him that Big Jake from Calguns sent you as I know him well. And no, I don't get a commision for referrals.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will shoot him an email right now.

dualsport
02-05-2010, 8:32 PM
Well, I forgot to renew, it expired about 3 mths. ago. Just forgot. Does anyone know if it's too late to renew or do I have to start all over? Thanks.

SDI
02-05-2010, 9:05 PM
Well, I forgot to renew, it expired about 3 mths. ago. Just forgot. Does anyone know if it's too late to renew or do I have to start all over? Thanks.

Any person who meets the following criteria may apply to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for a permit:

•A Nevada resident of Clark County
•An out-of-state resident who received firearms training in Clark County.
•21 years of age or older.
•Not prohibited from possessing a firearm by State or Federal law.
•Successfully completes an approved firearms course in Clark County (paid for by applicant).

Pays the appropriate fees consisting of

1. New application $100.25 - LVMPD
2. Renewal Application $65.25 - LVMPD
3. Renewal Application and Late Fee $80.25 - LVMPD
4. Renewal Application (more than 120 days late) $100.25 - LVMPD

Looks like you are OK, just pay the late fee.

dualsport
02-05-2010, 11:01 PM
SDI, thanks, that's a relief, I didn't want to start over from the beginning, although I did enjoy the course I took. I'll get on it next week, before I run over 120 days.

nicki
02-06-2010, 5:18 PM
I know training must be done in Nevada,

My issue is that if I go get a Nevada permit, I would like to put several guns on the permit.

Few years back I had 9 guns on the permit, today it would be more.

Last instructor I had didn't care how many guns I wanted to put so I just lined them up and rapidly qualified with each gun.

It appears Ken is no longer in business, so anyone have anyone else they would reccomend.

10 dollars per gun adds up real fast in my case.

Nicki

Quiet
02-06-2010, 9:21 PM
I know training must be done in Nevada,

My issue is that if I go get a Nevada permit, I would like to put several guns on the permit.

Few years back I had 9 guns on the permit, today it would be more.

Last instructor I had didn't care how many guns I wanted to put so I just lined them up and rapidly qualified with each gun.

It appears Ken is no longer in business, so anyone have anyone else they would reccomend.

10 dollars per gun adds up real fast in my case.

Nicki

If you are going to Las Vegas...

Contact Kurt Gepke (http://nevadashooters.com/member.php?u=173). He is a NV CCW instructor on nevadashooters.com.

He does not charge per handgun. One fee for as many handguns as you want.
He will also let you qualify with his handguns, if you want to add those to your permit, just in case you acquire them in the future.
I qualified with his Glock 19 and Walther P22, both of which are noise suppressed. :D

I renewed my permit through him last year. I highly recommend him over the gun store CCW classess.
He's an excellent instructor, not the standard class room lecture.
He has a flexible schedule and can give the course any day of the week, whatever is convenient for you.
After you qualify with all the handguns you want on your permit and if there is extra time, he'll let you shoot a couple of magazines through his MGs for free. :D

Big Jake
02-07-2010, 8:12 PM
See my above post for a great instructor!

MCRACER82
02-07-2010, 8:25 PM
See my above post for a great instructor!

Roland actually has a class going on next Saturday in the L.A. area. I will be attending. Thanks for the help!

db220
02-12-2010, 9:20 PM
Can anyone explain exactly what the range qualification entails?

californiamotorsports
02-12-2010, 9:33 PM

I second that -- Who's good to use in the Reno or Carson city area for ccw qualification

Cokebottle
02-12-2010, 9:50 PM
From comments that I've read here on CGN, any revolver will qualify you to carry any revolver in NV. Pistols are different... the one(s) you qualify with will be the one(s) listed on your permit.

MCRACER82
02-12-2010, 10:00 PM

From what I understand the range qualification for NV is 30 rounds at a distance of 2, 5, and 7 yards. 10 rounds for each distance. I am taking the NV and Utah class tomorrow. I'll fill you guys in more after the class is done.

californiamotorsports
02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
From what I understand the range qualification for NV is 30 rounds at a distance of 2, 5, and 7 yards. 10 rounds for each distance. I am taking the NV and Utah class tomorrow. I'll fill you guys in more after the class is done.

Thanks

MCRACER82
02-13-2010, 6:23 PM
Finished up the NV and Utah CCW class with Roland a few hours ago. It was a great class! The class consisted of a classroom lecture on basic gun safety and CCW rules/regulations and a multiple choice test on what was covered. Roland was very good explaining everything and answering any questions that might have came up. The next portion of the test was the shooting qualification. The qualification consisted of thirty rounds. 6 rounds at 2 yards, 12 rounds at 5 yards, and 12 rounds at 7 yards. Qualification is super easy. As long as you can hit center mass you can't fail. If anyone in SoCal is interested in getting their CCW for NV and Utah, I would highly recommend Roland. Thanks again Big Jake for the recommendation.

parcours
02-13-2010, 6:49 PM
Tag

Big Jake
02-13-2010, 6:51 PM
Finished up the NV and Utah CCW class with Roland a few hours ago. It was a great class! The class consisted of a classroom lecture on basic gun safety and CCW rules/regulations and a multiple choice test on what was covered. Roland was very good explaining everything and answering any questions that might have came up. The next portion of the test was the shooting qualification. The qualification consisted of thirty rounds. 6 rounds at 2 yards, 12 rounds at 5 yards, and 12 rounds at 7 yards. Qualification is super easy. As long as you can hit center mass you can't fail. If anyone in SoCal is interested in getting their CCW for NV and Utah, I would highly recommend Roland. Thanks again Big Jake for the recommendation.

I am glad you had a good experience with Roland! My pleasure to recommend him.

californiamotorsports
02-13-2010, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the info ---- Anyone do the NV CCW training in the Bayarea

Cokebottle
02-13-2010, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the info ---- Anyone do the NV CCW training in the Bayarea
Like Arizona, Nevada CCW training must take place in Nevada.

However, Utah does not have that requirement... so an instructor that is certified by Utah, Nevada, and Arizona can offer a class in NV that's good for both NV and UT, or he can offer a class in AZ that's good for AZ and UT.

But never all three in the same class.

Mr. Joshua
02-14-2010, 4:32 AM
I second that -- Who's good to use in the Reno or Carson city area for ccw qualification

These guys: http://sierrafirearms.com/

Sierra Firearms Academy is top notch! I took my NV CCW training through them back in 2007. Both instructors are retired LEO's from Reno PD and Washoe Sheriff. Awesome guys. They covered everything in depth, very knowledgable, very friendly, very helpful guys. I couldn't recommend them more.

MCRACER82
02-14-2010, 8:46 AM
Like Arizona, Nevada CCW training must take place in Nevada.

However, Utah does not have that requirement... so an instructor that is certified by Utah, Nevada, and Arizona can offer a class in NV that's good for both NV and UT, or he can offer a class in AZ that's good for AZ and UT.

But never all three in the same class.

Correct. Lets not forget to mention that all paperwork for UT and AZ can/must be submitted by mail. Paperwork for the Nevada CCW must be submitted to the processing center in person and finger photos/fingerprinting is also done on site.

My-AK47
02-20-2010, 7:10 PM
These guys: http://sierrafirearms.com/

Sierra Firearms Academy is top notch! I took my NV CCW training through them back in 2007. Both instructors are retired LEO's from Reno PD and Washoe Sheriff. Awesome guys. They covered everything in depth, very knowledgable, very friendly, very helpful guys. I couldn't recommend them more.

Looking forward to this class from Sierra Firearms in Nevada on March 13th. See you all there that are going....

Big Jake
02-21-2010, 9:52 AM
Correct. Lets not forget to mention that all paperwork for UT and AZ can/must be submitted by mail. Paperwork for the Nevada CCW must be submitted to the processing center in person and finger photos/fingerprinting is also done on site.

FYI, It appears that in the very near future the great free state of Arizona will no longer require ccw at all as legislation is in the works to allow any law abiding adult to ccw without a license!

Cokebottle
02-27-2010, 1:19 PM
Awesome news there!

Until then, does AZ still have reciprocity with CA for ccw?
Yes.
15 states honor the California CCW.
Most of the "Shall Issue" states honor any CCW issued anywhere in the country except for the restrictive states such as California and New York.
14 states honor NY.

Big Jake
02-27-2010, 3:38 PM
Arizona will honor any other states ccw as long as the permit holder is not an Arizona resident!