PDA

View Full Version : To which elected official shall i write?

Kerplow
02-03-2010, 12:05 AM
so tonight was the first night of my political science 180 class (intro to US gov't) and it turns out that my professor is a rather hard-core conservative and actually spent most of our first class thoroughly bashing the Obama administration and liberalism in general. needless to say, i was quite entertained!

anyway, for extra credit, or as the professor put it: "An insurance policy on a good grade" we are to write a letter to the elected official of our choice stating our opinions, beliefs, and ideas for how said elected official could do their job better.

between work, school, and everything else i don't really have much time to follow politics much further than what i read on these forums. that said, i need your help deciding who i should write to. I want it to be someone on the lower lever of government, or at least someone i can be relatively sure will actually read the letter themselves. Im in Huntington Beach and i figure someone somewhat local would be preferable. and most importantly, someone who is either anti or seems to be on the fence as it would probably not do much good to write someone who already has the same beliefs as myself.

any suggestions?

wildhawker
02-03-2010, 12:07 AM
On a 2A issue? The probable first level of active 2A issues would be the OC Sheriff and OC Board of Supervisors re CCW.

Kerplow
02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
On a 2A issue? The probable first level of active 2A issues would be the OC Sheriff and OC Board of Supervisors re CCW.

definitely on a 2a issue. this has always been my motivating factor in the world of politics.

obeygiant
02-03-2010, 1:42 AM
Senator Tom Harman (http://cssrc.us/web/35/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1)
Assembly Member Jim Silva (http://arc.asm.ca.gov/member/67/)
Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens (http://www.ocsd.org/about_ocsd/executive_staff/)

Lone_Gunman
02-03-2010, 5:32 AM
Jerry Brown?

DTOM CA!
02-03-2010, 7:32 AM
How about Arnold on how bad AB962 is and how we intend to fight it from every angle.

Vacaville
02-03-2010, 7:46 AM
I've written to my local congressman, Arnold, and Feinstein about gun laws.

Feinstein sent me back a form letter thanking me for supporting her gun policies.

Kerplow
02-03-2010, 9:29 AM
I've written to my local congressman, Arnold, and Feinstein about gun laws.

Feinstein sent me back a form letter thanking me for supporting her gun policies.

ROFL!!!!

this is why i want it to be someone lower on the pole, as it's completely obvious she never read it, and questionable if anyone really did. unless of course the feinsten minion was just messing with you!

4G63Attack
02-03-2010, 1:02 PM
Funny, I was going to make a new thread about something that i wrote to my congressmen/women or senators about the topic of AB357. There is 3 people that governs over the area that I live so, I wrote to all three of them. and that was 2 weekends ago. I only got one reply back so far.

This is what i wrote:
I am deeply saddened by a resent bill AB 357 (ccw) not passing here in California. I don't know way but it seems that the rest of 40 oddish states that is moving alone with shall issue of CCW have a lower crime rate within their states. Here in California it seems the crime rate is going up. How are people going to protecting our family, friends and I when times comes. In Los Angeles only the rich and power gets to have CCW, why? Isn't bodyguards enough for protection? I don't see the reason here; where every people, law abiding citizen are willing to take an extra stipe to protect people around them from harm. Where police cannot get to the sense fast enough, where time is essential and death is a matter of moments away. It is not too hard for us citizen to get the training and the knowledge of the law. It can be from a local shooting range, a NRA approves class, ROP, or even the local police department if they are willing to offer to train the community. By doing so the firearm is the last resort in an escalating situation. As Penal Code 12025 and 12031 states concealed and loaded firearm and how are go about if wanting to protect ourselves? Well open carry. Open carry is having a firearm unload and open to the public view by doing so will not break the penal codes. Yet it is a bit troublesome because it only attracts harassment from police officers. Even it is in the constitutional right "to keep and bear arms" and yet it seems that in California do not abide to the 2nd amendment.

senator liu rely back:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding AB 357.

This bill failed passage in the Assembly Public Safety Committee.

IrishPirate
02-03-2010, 1:10 PM
whomever your congressman is would be a great idea. They are supposed to represent YOU and your area in congress, everyone else is voting on behalf of other people or a much larger group.

Others: Local Plice Chief, County Sheriff, Mayor, County Board of Supervisors, District Attorney, the Governator......that should be a start.

IrishPirate
02-03-2010, 1:12 PM
This is what i wrote:
I am deeply saddened by a resent bill AB 357 (ccw) not passing here in California. I don't know way but it seems that the rest of 40 oddish states that is moving alone with shall issue of CCW have a lower crime rate within their states. Here in California it seems the crime rate is going up. How are people going to protecting our family, friends and I when times comes. In Los Angeles only the rich and power gets to have CCW, why? Isn't bodyguards enough for protection? I don't see the reason here; where every people, law abiding citizen are willing to take an extra stipe to protect people around them from harm. Where police cannot get to the sense fast enough, where time is essential and death is a matter of moments away. It is not too hard for us citizen to get the training and the knowledge of the law. It can be from a local shooting range, a NRA approves class, ROP, or even the local police department if they are willing to offer to train the community. By doing so the firearm is the last resort in an escalating situation. As Penal Code 12025 and 12031 states concealed and loaded firearm and how are go about if wanting to protect ourselves? Well open carry. Open carry is having a firearm unload and open to the public view by doing so will not break the penal codes. Yet it is a bit troublesome because it only attracts harassment from police officers. Even it is in the constitutional right "to keep and bear arms" and yet it seems that in California do not abide to the 2nd amendment.

senator liu rely back:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding AB 357.

This bill failed passage in the Assembly Public Safety Committee.

with the amount of poor grammer, it's no surprise they were so short with you. did you really send those exact words in?