PDA

View Full Version : CGF's EPIC Letter to Oakland About Their Proposed Gun Laws

oaklander
02-03-2010, 12:37 AM
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/oakland/CGF-Oakland-Ordinance-Opp-2010-02-01.pdf

This letter was even mentioned in a Channel 7 news story. . .

:D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266034

We rock!

wildhawker
02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Just the ****ing cc list should give them pause.

oaklander
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
We do not mess around. . .

;)

ShootinMedic
02-03-2010, 12:58 AM
WOOT!
Thanks for everything you are doing!

kap
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Awesome guys!

B Strong
02-03-2010, 6:07 AM
Go Team!

JBird33
02-03-2010, 6:26 AM
Awesome work.

Lone_Gunman
02-03-2010, 6:29 AM
Nice! This is why we donate. 'Cause the CGF freakin gets things done. Woot!

cntrolsguy
02-03-2010, 7:16 AM
Haha, Hopefully that'll get em rattling in their cages!:43:

Mitch
02-03-2010, 7:20 AM
Holy cow, Gene, your signature is even less comprehensible than mine.

AJAX22
02-03-2010, 7:22 AM
Damn.... I could FEEL the weight of that CC list when you dropped it at the end...

The translation for the laity is "Don't F' with us, or you will never poop right again"

EYlDbv7MqE8

spencerhut
02-03-2010, 7:36 AM
I hate to say it, but more than likely, given the history of lawmakers in our state, they will ignore this very well thought out, expertly written and 100% correct letter.

Remember, we are all stupid, they know what is best for us.

putput
02-03-2010, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the hard work everyone. I for one appreciate it. I also think it fell on deaf ears since this type of legislation in this part of the world is a vote getter. When the lawsuit comes and costs the city money, the talk will be of the evil NRA and how they just won't leave us alone to stop crime... Anyway thanks again.

loather
02-03-2010, 8:41 AM
Good letter, although someone should have proofread it first, as there are a couple of punctuational and grammatical errors in it. Yes, I'm a grammar nazi, *especially* in official documents.

With luck, the city council will be able to see reason.

DTOM CA!
02-03-2010, 8:42 AM
Great job. I wish I could write that well.

Lagduf
02-03-2010, 9:22 AM
Excellent letter and I hope it gives them something to actually think about. Being on the losing end of a lawsuit post Mcdonald is certainly something the city of Oakland does not want to deal with.

Window_Seat
02-03-2010, 9:34 AM
Very well written letter, far better than my letters. This should be more than enough to get them to holding back, but I'm not too confident that the COO will even pay much attention, because they are probably getting legal representation pro-bono, so they likely have no problems with thumbing their noses at us and the others in favor of our cause in the name of feel good legislation.

What I'd like to see is this process of fighting them, winning, and then in addition to the process of throwing out the regs, start looking at the process to open more gun stores in Oakland. If this is the last thing that the anti's want, would this not be a strategy to actually start discouraging these cities/counties from attempting these dumb laws? You create jobs, and you make a point, no? They want to punish us. When they fail, we punish them back with what they FEAR THE MOST. Would this not be a win-win?

The way I see it is that they feel like they have nothing to lose if they don't win, so we really make them lose when we do what they fear the most, and these "communities" seem to have a fear of GSs, no?.:cool:

Erik.

7x57
02-03-2010, 9:37 AM
$3.5x10^6. Mmmm. :43:

7x57

ilikeguns
02-03-2010, 9:43 AM
Makes me proud to be a calguns member. Thank you

drutledge79
02-03-2010, 10:18 AM

I second that. Time to donate again!

quick draw mcgraw
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM

I couldn't agree more!! I haven't been around this forum all that long, but I can say without hesitation that I am very happy to have found this forum and am damn proud to be a part of it and what it stands for!

Thank you Gene and all the others who are making a difference for the rest of us!

I don't have truckloads of money and with 2 small children I don't have tons of free time, but I did sign up to participate with the Calguns Foundation and am trying to free up some time to help out at the Ag Expo in Tulare next week.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't done so to please join the fight and help out in what ever way you can.

Thanks again everyone at Calguns!!!

bohoki
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
how come laws are not put through the scientific process and if they don't do any good they should be repealed

sbrady@Michel&Associates
02-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Kudos to Mr. Hoffman and CGF for weighing in on this matter in such an effective way. The logic in the letter is unassailable, but somehow was lost on the members of the Oakland City Council; who also mostly disregarded the arguments put forth by Michel & Associates, PC on behalf of the NRA/CRPA. (For those interested in reading the NRA/CRPA letter is available at this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=265798) It appears the City Attorney made some alterations to the proposed amendments in an attempt to make them not so blatantly unlawful, but obviously they think they are on solid legal ground with the changes, or they don't care. Either way, these amendments remain unlawful and we remain steadfast to defeat them.

oaklander
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Attending this City Hall meeting last night was like watching a city run by mindless zombies.

Kudos to Mr. Hoffman and CGF for weighing in on this matter in such an effective way. The logic in the letter is unassailable, but somehow was lost on the members of the Oakland City Council; who also mostly disregarded the arguments put forth by Michel & Associates, PC on behalf of the NRA/CRPA. (For those interested in reading the NRA/CRPA letter is available at this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=265798) It appears the City Attorney made some alterations to the proposed amendments in an attempt to make them not so blatantly unlawful, but obviously they think they are on solid legal ground with the changes, or they don't care. Either way, these amendments remain unlawful and we remain steadfast to defeat them.

odysseus
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Inherently they don't care about the legal issues they contrive themselves into. Even faced with these problems as demonstrated by this letter and net zero effect on violent crime raging in their city, in an interview with KTVU council member Jean Quan said it brings them in parity with laws in Richmond; whatever that means.

oaklander
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
LOL, she also said it "would get guns off the street."

I'd like to get those guns off the street too, since I hate the idea of running over perfectly good guns!

Inherently they don't care about the legal issues they contrive themselves into. Even faced with these problems as demonstrated by this letter and net zero effect on violent crime raging in their city, in an interview with KTVU council member Jean Quan said it brings them in parity with laws in Richmond; whatever that means.

CABilly
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM

I'd like to get those guns off the street too, since I hate the idea of running over perfectly good guns!

Maybe the city council should be forced to follow their own logical path one meeting in order to describe exactly where those guns are coming from and how the ordinance will help alleviate the problem.

Considering that the only FFL in Oakland is an OPD officer, that might make for an entertaining evening.

loather
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM

I've got some room in my safe ... :D

BigDogatPlay
02-03-2010, 1:09 PM
Whether the city's leaders would pay any attention was probably a moot point before the letter even landed. They are agenda driven and focused on the need to look like they are doing something, so that the majority of voters there will return their leaders sorry butts to office on the next cycle.

Or, to parlay a Blazing Saddles reference... "We've got to save our phoney baloney jobs, gentlemen!"

That said... that pre-emptive strike from CGF was a first class beat down. They can never say that they weren't warned.

More donations... must make more donations.

dunndeal
02-03-2010, 1:29 PM
My first ever donation to Calgun is in the mail. Thank you for your hard work.

hill billy
02-03-2010, 2:18 PM
Wow. Very nice. I am impressed again with that letter.

curtisfong
02-03-2010, 2:22 PM
Still the upshot is disappointing, if not predicable. Yet again, fighting the legislature directly seems futile. They do not respond. There has to be a stronger effort to convert *voters*. Oaklander has made some progress with the "liberal" media. There is a lesson there.

GuyW
02-03-2010, 2:35 PM
I hate to say it, but more than likely, given the history of lawmakers in our state, they will ignore this very well thought out, expertly written and 100% correct letter.

Remember, we are all stupid, they know what is best for us.

Yes, but it will give all but the most dense a few seconds of "oh $%^&" anxiety....

...I've had the pleasure of seeing that reaction to one of my letters that a client submitted during an oral presentation to a City Council.....all of a sudden, they realize that, once again, staff has been misleading them....

timdps
02-03-2010, 3:05 PM
Attending this City Hall meeting last night was like watching a city run by mindless zombies.

Must....not.....make.... city...of ....zombies....run....by....zombies....comment!

:43:

rtlltj
02-03-2010, 3:20 PM
Very impressive.

Hozr
02-03-2010, 3:21 PM
I just want to see faces when THAT gets read into the minutes.

truthseeker
02-03-2010, 6:03 PM
I am pissed that the City council/supervisor/attorneys are even thinking about wasting tax payer dollars to enforce something that "our guys" show to be un-constitutional.

As an attorney, if you saw the names on the bottom of the letter and actually read the cases that are referenced, wouldn't you think "well we might want to wait" instead of wasting money?

gun toting monkeyboy
02-03-2010, 6:29 PM
Nice. :)

pnkssbtz
02-03-2010, 6:39 PM
I am pissed that the City council/supervisor/attorneys are even thinking about wasting tax payer dollars to enforce something that "our guys" show to be un-constitutional.

As an attorney, if you saw the names on the bottom of the letter and actually read the cases that are referenced, wouldn't you think "well we might want to wait" instead of wasting money?It's not their money.

It's easy to ignore your conscience when spending other people's money.

1BigPea
02-03-2010, 6:41 PM
I'm proudly sending another donation to CGF.

That letter was indeed epic!

chuckdc
02-03-2010, 6:43 PM
It's just a darn shame that there really are no personal consequences for officials that ignore the law like this, in order to deny well-known Consitutional and statutory rights. They've been warned that they are breaking state law and infringing on rights again and again, and yet they do it again and again. The problem is that there's no way to make this hurt them personally. I am more and more of the opinion that they will not learn without the infliction of personal discomfort. When they pass these ordinances, they are doing this on taxpayer time, and costing taxpayer money that we can ill-afford to spend. Clearly, it doesn't bother them in the least.

Legasat
02-03-2010, 6:55 PM
No doubt about it....CGF ROCKS!

Thanks for watching our backs!

Trench Broom
02-03-2010, 7:26 PM
Excellent letter.

hoffmang
02-03-2010, 9:51 PM
My favorite/most embarassing typo was saying that SF paid NRA $38,000.00. It was $380,000.00... Darn 0 key.

And yeah, there are a couple of typos - grumble... Also, that really is my standard signature...

-Gene

oaklander
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, but the fun part will be sending them an email saying "oops, we meant to say $380,000 instead of $38,000."

"And by the way, one of our "pointy headed" types is the actual lawyer who won Heller."

My favorite/most embarassing typo was saying that SF paid NRA $38,000.00. It was $380,000.00... Darn 0 key.

And yeah, there are a couple of typos - grumble... Also, that really is my standard signature...

-Gene

7x57
02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
"And by the way, one of our "pointy headed" types is the actual lawyer who won Heller."

I just want to say that if Mr. Gura, certified Gentleman Of Taste And Intellect, is one of the coneheads his hairdresser is a genius, cuz it doesn't show at all.

Say, what if we had CGF propeller beanies? :D

7x57

oaklander
02-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Hmmmm. . .

Much hilarity could ensue at the next OCC meeting. . .

I just want to say that if Mr. Gura, certified Gentleman Of Taste And Intellect, is one of the coneheads his hairdresser is a genius, cuz it doesn't show at all.

Say, what if we had CGF propeller beanies? :D

7x57

twotap
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Thank-you for every thing you have done on this very important issue.
Is there a way to let the media know the waste of taxpayers money Oakland is thinking of spending on this misguided issue?? Also keeping it on the front burner so voters can also be outraged..

ldivinag
02-03-2010, 11:42 PM

hee hee...

i thought i was the only one who noticed that...

N6ATF
02-04-2010, 12:13 AM

Little discernible difference. Both want our lives to end.

oaklander
02-04-2010, 12:22 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/f5adlw.jpg

bigcalidave
02-04-2010, 3:54 AM
Great letter Gene !!! I friggin love this place!

http://www.gotmojo.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/190x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/M/r/Mr-Burns-Excellent-MF.jpg

Soldier415
02-04-2010, 1:32 PM
tag

popngen
02-04-2010, 2:15 PM
gene, did you know your zip code for your office in Redwood City is missing the #4?... this is in regards to the pdf in your first post.

kertong
02-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Gene,

Reading your letter made my day. Amazing.

Aside from donating, is there any way for a guy like me (computer professional in a silicon valley startup), to help out, volunteer, etc for CGF? I'd like to do... more. :)

jdberger
02-04-2010, 3:38 PM
Gene,

Reading your letter made my day. Amazing.

Aside from donating, is there any way for a guy like me (computer professional in a silicon valley startup), to help out, volunteer, etc for CGF? I'd like to do... more. :)

You betcha. Send me a PM with your contact info and skill set.

Vanguard
02-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Right on.