PDA

View Full Version : Off duty handguns for LAPD & OCPDs

PX4storm 9MM
02-02-2010, 9:57 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what kind of firearms can police officers use for off duty??
I am not sure about this, but I have heard most departments does not allow their off duty officers to use 1911?? Is that true??
I know each departments issues their officers sidearms and they can use that issue firearm as their off duty as well.
I am planning to save some money and buy 1911 in the future (kimber pro carry most likey). I think it will be kind of waste to spend that much money if I cannot even use that weapon as off duty handgun if I were to become a police officer in the future.
thanks everyone for your help and your time

My Sergeant once said, "Listen Marines, only half of you guys will come back alive from this patrol..... So remember you training and you will survive. If you do not remember your training. Ask What Will Jesus Do."

Uhhlexxxis
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I carry my avatar 1911 off duty (kimber ultra carry II stainless)... I also carry a subcompact XD .40 from time to time.

There are certain guns we can carry (and buy) that many civilians can't... XDMs, sig p238 (1911 style, .380) off duty.

I'd inquire with your department what is acceptable. Carry what is comfortable and what you feel comfortable shooting. The idea behind a concealed carry is that it is CONCEALED.. by doing this, you carry successfully. edit: and the best advice I can give you is PRACTICE drawing your weapon while it is concealed (UNLOADED please). I pray to never have to use mine off duty, but prepared to use it if need be to protect myself and my family.

best of luck.

alex00
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
You may want to hold of on buying anything right now. Some departments specify what guns you can carry off duty, some do not. I would caution against buying a firearm based on what a particular agency allows. There are many guns neighboring agencies can carry that I cannot, and vice-versa. You may have your heart set on working for a particular department, but lots of things change between the academy and the first day of FTO. Another benefit to waiting is that you may want to purchase a gun that is not only your BUG, but also your off duty gun. Each department is different when it comes to what BUGs are authorized.

The size of your off duty gun will usually be a matter of personal preference. Some people won't leave the house without a full size auto, and spare mags. Some carry a small J-frame, or sub compact. Once you're sworn, you'll be able to carry your duty gun (full size) off duty, and see how you like it. You may find that carrying a full size doesn't fit your everyday life. My point is, you should wait if the sole intent is to have an off duty gun. If you just want another gun, and don't care if it's authorized by a future agency, go for it. My safe is full of guns I can't use in any sort of official capacity:)

Cpl_Peters
02-02-2010, 11:40 PM
there is a list of calibers and makes for my department. 1911's are ok for us as long as they are from one of the manufactures on ours list and meet the caliber criterea.

PX4storm 9MM
02-03-2010, 6:56 AM
thanks everyone for your help and info. I am planning to try out for a LAPD this summer because I will have my Associate Degree of Science late May. I was told to try out for a LAPD by my fellow friend who is also a police officer. He told me I will have good chance of getting hire since I have military background, bilingual, and have a college degree. Wish me luck guys, hope economy gets little better when I apply.

Trigger Finger
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
"If you just want another gun, and don't care if it's authorized by a future agency, go for it. My safe is full of guns I can't use in any sort of official capacity"

I agree with this. When I retired five years ago the only officers authorized to use 1911s were SWAT and SIS. SIS is a very specialized surveillance unit. And they could only use Kimbers! It takes at least five years to get into these units and there is usually a waiting period.
Buy the way, what is OCPD?

PX4storm 9MM
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I wrote OCPDs in order to categories general orange county police departments. Since they are just too many individual police departments in Orange County area.
Thanks, I think I am just going to purchase Kimber 1911 in next month or so. If I cannot use that weapon as off duty in the future. I can still use it as home defense gun and when someone breaks into my house or something. Hopefully, I pray that will never happens, but I am going to react as I was trained in the Marine Corps. Shoot first and ask later.

michelim21
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Off the subject of an off-duty gun, but I just heard that one of the budget plans for LA City to adjust for the deficit is to fire all current probation officers of LAPD, fire current academy attendees and to halt all hiring and academies. Just FYI. You might want to start applying now before the ponds dry up.

*This was just here say from the talk radio.

Call_me_Tom
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Off the subject of an off-duty gun, but I just heard that one of the budget plans for LA City to adjust for the deficit is to fire all current probation officers of LAPD, fire current academy attendees and to halt all hiring and academies. Just FYI. You might want to start applying now before the ponds dry up.

*This was just here say from the talk radio.
Many departments are pushing those that can to retire so that they don't have to layoff younger deputies/officers.

You can get in but the competition is high because of the economy.

Departments will never stop highering due to attrition within the ranks. They just won't higher in a large volume. Not everyone can handle having an AIDS infected person spit in their face, have human feces thrown on them or provide 1st Aid to people who haven't bathed in weeks.

PX4storm 9MM
02-03-2010, 1:16 PM
I know times are hard right now and many places are working harder with less people and less resources. I still want to apply after I get my college degree because I know I will have better chance of getting my feet into the door of LAPD with college degree than no college degree. I know competition will be high, but I think I will have good chance with my background (military background, bilingual, and college degree). I know many young students are taking criminal justice as their degree, but I am taking accounting and computer system information. I guess time will tell when I apply in this June if I make it or not. I just hope recruiter show some love to veterans.

KevH
02-03-2010, 5:01 PM
I'd wait until you get hired and can see the department's policy before buying anything.

I'm in NorCal and carry a 1911 on duty and off. It all depends on the department and their policy.