PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MS2, worth it?

Game Time
02-02-2010, 3:57 PM
Botach has the MS2 sling for $39 and the ASAP attachment for $20. They also have a KZ single point bungee sling and sling adapter for $15. Are the Magpul products worth the extra $44??? This will be going on my first AR build which will have a MOE stock and a Magpul BUS so I will have a little Magpul on the build. I don't know anything about either sling other than the youtube video on the MS2 at the Shot Show.

02-02-2010, 3:58 PM
You gotta drink the Kool-Aid to be Kool....

I use one on my duty M4...

bender152
02-02-2010, 4:01 PM
Be careful with Botach. There are many members here who refuse to deal with them.

xLusi0n
02-02-2010, 4:04 PM
I refuse to deal with them. I got screwed twice...after the first time, I chalked it up to bad luck...but what's that saying about fool me twice?

Game Time
02-02-2010, 4:06 PM
Be careful with Botach. There are many members here who refuse to deal with them.

I've only used them once and didn't have a problem. I have read a lot of people have had problems though.

bombadillo
02-02-2010, 4:08 PM
I hated mine quite honestly. I tried the tacstrap made by a member here and the ms2 and keep going back to boonie packer 2pt quick adjust slings. For the money those things are as local as it gets and they work much better for my style of shooting. I use mine for packing around and hanging a lot more than being tactical or "tacticool" so a classic 2 point works great. Also works great for position shooting and being able to adjust it is a huge bonus. www.redimag.com

Oh, forgot to add that I felt it was way too difficult to adjust it in 2 point mode which is the primary reason I gave it up. I figured if I need a single point, better get a vickers or other single and if I want a 2 point, just get a dedicated sling again. I wasn't having this jack of all trades, master of none thing with the MS2.

The DRis
02-02-2010, 4:12 PM
Yes. I love mine

Ravenslair
02-02-2010, 4:49 PM
I really like it.

Maddog5150
02-02-2010, 5:05 PM
I used it. It was utter CRAP! even undid itself while I was carrying my weapon and dumped my m203 in the snow in front of my squad leader

MacDaddy
02-02-2010, 5:32 PM
The ASAP is pretty sweet IMO. I have an MS2 and like it, but I don't know enough about how it compares to other slings to comment.

ZombieKiller
02-02-2010, 6:00 PM
BOTACH SUCKS A22.

pacrimguru
02-02-2010, 6:20 PM
i love the asap and ms2 combo! they're great.

vinny_land
02-02-2010, 6:32 PM
I lov my ASAP and MS2 setup on my rifle. Got mine from MidwestPX.

NSR500
02-02-2010, 6:39 PM
I like the Noveske QD endplate better than the ASAP. As for slings, I have not used an MS2 yet.

jdmtype1
02-02-2010, 6:43 PM
Yeup. I love the combo, but the rattling loop on the ASAP kills me.

vinny_land
02-02-2010, 6:49 PM
^yeah the rattling big is the only problem that i have for it. maybe if it was coated with some kind of rubber, it would be nicer.

Iggy
02-02-2010, 8:05 PM
I like mine with the Noveske end plate?

aplinker
02-02-2010, 8:46 PM
Hate the MS2.

ASAP is crap, too. The ikickhippies version is superior in every way.

Boonie packer slings are a bargain.

45R
02-02-2010, 9:06 PM
I recently attended a Stone Cobra Tactical Carbine course last month. About 80 percent of the class were MS2 fanboys. One of the guys in the class has his unravel while his rifle was slung. Another student complained that it was not comfortable to use all day long. Costa and Haley addressed that issue in their Advanced DVD Set. I'm not going into harms way on a routine basis so I opted for the Vickers VCAS 2 pt sling. IIRC their is a new version of the MS sling "MS3"

Nookieaki
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
There's a member here named "monitor" he sells the ms2/asap for a reasonable price. I love my ms2/asap in fact everyone that shoots my CMMG loves it. No complaints here.

xounlistedxox
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I have never liked a setup as much as the ms2/asap. I have these setup on all my rifles. My favorite forward sling mount for this setup is a modified CQD. I really like the ability of having a one, or two point sling all in one package and also like that the sling is part of you... not part of the rifle. I plan on purchasing one of the SLAP(ikickhippies) plates for my next rifle to check it out.
My only complaints are for the asap dangling ring making noise and the ms2 somewhat hard to adjust in 2 point mode.

SarcoBlaster
02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Wasn't a fan of the webbing the MS2 used, so I modded my Vickers sling. Fully adjustable in 1 or 2 point modes and shoulder to shoulder transitions are nice and smooth (and rattle free!) with the Noveske end plate. The forward sling mount has been changed to a CQD, which works a lot better since it doesn't move around like the QD does.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/SarcoBlaster/IMG_3121.jpg

DREADNOUGHT78
02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I have the ASAPP and MS2 I still havent used them. I mounted the ASAP and hated the rattle as well. I wrapped it with electrical tape and cured that problem a little ghetto but it's quiet. I like the my TROY sling more I think because of the padding.

Ravenslair
02-03-2010, 1:10 AM
Wasn't a fan of the webbing the MS2 used, so I modded my Vickers sling. Fully adjustable in 1 or 2 point modes and shoulder to shoulder transitions are nice and smooth (and rattle free!) with the Noveske end plate. The forward sling mount has been changed to a CQD, which works a lot better since it doesn't move around like the QD does.

Nice mod. Essentially functions the same as the MS2 sling. One of the advantages of the MS2 in my mind and now it can be done with my Vickers as well. Thanks for posting.

CHS
02-03-2010, 1:31 AM
I'm really not a fan of the MS2 at all. I hope that it will be better when it comes back as the MS3 that Magpul announced at SHOT.

I do like the ASAP, I think it's a fantastic sling attachment point.

If you really want a 2-to-1 point convertible sling, I like the Original SOE gear one (Riflegear carries it), but I prefer dedicated 1-point or 2-point or 3-point slings.

The Blackhawk 1-point is a nice affordable sling, and the Blue Force is a nicer more expensive option.

bigcalidave
02-03-2010, 3:38 AM
Don't forget, new Magpul MS3 sling coming out to address all the problems with MS2 :D

Cal-Irish
02-03-2010, 7:27 AM
...but what's that saying about fool me twice?

eKgPY1adc0A

shark92651
02-03-2010, 8:01 AM
...but what's that saying about fool me twice

Yeah, but Magpul has a great reputation. A company listening to the complaints and realizing the shortcomings of a design and then coming out with an improved version that addresses those shortcomings is harding "fooling" anyone. This is what you WANT from a company. From looking at the pictures of the MS3 it appears the clasps (both the same) appear to be an improvement over the MS2.

Maddog5150
02-03-2010, 8:08 AM
I dunno about that shark. I had issues with a defect in thier a product in the past and they just made me give up after I sent them emails and calling several times. I figured they have enough fan boys that they dont care if they shipped a defective product. Shame on me for buying more products from them and getting dissapointed every time.
I will say that they make an awesome molle threader and great mags though. Speaking of which. Still waiting for that ten pack sharky :D

till44
02-03-2010, 9:02 AM
I love the MS2 and ASAP combo. I been through other slings and they didn't work like I wanted them. I like the ease of movement a single point sling gives to a rifle, but dislike that it doesn't allow you to stow the rifle out your way when you don't need the gun in hand. The MS2 fixes that problem. It wasn't made to be used as a 2 point sling, it was designed to be deployed as a sinle point and in the rare occassions you want your rifle stowed it is easily adapted to that task.

Maddog - You must have had bad luck with Magpul. I haven't had any problem with their gear but a set of DVDs refused to play without problems. They sent me a new set of DVDs, a pre-paid return envelope, and a pack of stickers with just one email. I didn't even buy the DVDs from their website and they sent the new DVDs out second day air. I have had nothing but good experiences with their service and gear, although I'm still not sure about the AFG.

CHS
02-03-2010, 9:54 AM
I love the MS2 and ASAP combo. I been through other slings and they didn't work like I wanted them. I like the ease of movement a single point sling gives to a rifle, but dislike that it doesn't allow you to stow the rifle out your way when you don't need the gun in hand. The MS2 fixes that problem.

Actually, the 3-point sling design fixed that problem long before the MS2 came around :)

aplinker
02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Actually, the 3-point sling design fixed that problem long before the MS2 came around :)

3-points get hung up on everything...

Make sure if you run an HK hook you match the loop for it. They can come undone. MASH hooks are a better choice.

I posted a long "Why I hate the MS2" a while ago. Don't feel like doing it again...

Oh, and the MS3 doesn't address the issues as much as it addresses Magpul making it themselves. I've seen the MS3 :sleeping:

till44
02-03-2010, 1:12 PM

I agree with plinker, the 3-points have just too much webbing and get caught up to often.

02-03-2010, 8:15 PM
I've addressed some of the issues with the MS2 with success. Take a look when you have a minute. Everything is in stock ready to ship.

Billy

Seesm
02-03-2010, 8:52 PM
These Tac Straps are really great!!

xLusi0n
02-19-2010, 1:17 AM
Yeah, but Magpul has a great reputation. A company listening to the complaints and realizing the shortcomings of a design and then coming out with an improved version that addresses those shortcomings is harding "fooling" anyone. This is what you WANT from a company. From looking at the pictures of the MS3 it appears the clasps (both the same) appear to be an improvement over the MS2.

I was referring to Botach not Magpul. I love Magpul stuff.