PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to register my guns / have paperwork for it?

SVPRApps
02-02-2010, 2:24 PM
I am not sure what's an assault weapon...(selective fire capability or.... looks scary?)

I have a WASR-10 which is an AK style rifle....it has a maglock, and only have 10 round magazines. it does have a pistol grip, so do i have to register it?

i am trying to save myself from a bunch of trouble should i have any encounter of LEOs. I have read the FAQ and it seems I dont have to register it.

But I remember a police officer stopping me with my friends, I had an SKS and he went into "defense" mode and started looking over it and was about to threaten to take away my SKS because he said thats an assault rifle on the list of banned weapons. But because we were coming from an official event for an official purpose, he let us off. (Going home from the shooting range, directly back home). He knew we just came from the range and wanted to inspect the trunk of the vehicle for any weapons. If I had said NO, there would be some probable cause / cause for suspicion, so i just said "yes heres my ID, and I have all legal firearms in the trunk"

http://www.dsgl.org/Articles/oteromyths.htm
Myth 5: Criminals prefer ‘assault weapons’ and cheap handguns sometimes called ‘Saturday Night Specials’.

In an attempt to identify and isolate ‘bad’ guns, monikers like ‘assault weapon’ and ‘Saturday Night Special’ were created. In fact, the term ‘assault weapon’ does not exist in firearms technical literature, but was created by gun control advocates no earlier than 1985. An ‘assault weapon’ is loosely defined as a semi-automatic firearm with a ‘military appearance’. Many semi-automatic rifles, pistols and even shotguns can fit this vague description. Other weapons having a hi-tech or a futuristic look, although not related to any military firearm, may also be considered ‘assault weapons’. Assault rifles, on the other hand, are clearly defined in the Defense Department’s Defense Intelligence Agency manual Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide as ‘short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges’. In short, assault rifles are military issue combat rifles that can fire automatically. These military assault rifles and other machine guns have been tightly regulated ever since 1934, with the passage of the National Firearms Act. None of the current ‘assault weapon’ laws applies to these long-prohibited firearms.

Pyr0
02-02-2010, 2:27 PM
I'm 99% sure you have to, and you will 100% wish you had registered it if you ever deal with a LEO.

Also, declining a search is NOT probable cause or grounds for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

SVPRApps
02-02-2010, 2:38 PM
I'm 99% sure you have to, and you will 100% wish you had registered it if you ever deal with a LEO.

Also, declining a search is NOT probable cause or grounds for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

According to this, I do not have to register it though.
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

My WASR-10 has a magazine lock and only has a 10/30 magazine on it. Semi-auto only.

I feel kinda iffy travelling around with it because at first glance it "looks" like an AK47 but is not

wildhawker
02-02-2010, 2:46 PM

I am not sure what's an assault weapon...(selective fire capability or.... looks scary?)

See flowchart.

I have a WASR-10 which is an AK style rifle....it has a maglock, and only have 10 round magazines. it does have a pistol grip, so do i have to register it?

1. Registration periods for AWs has closed. 2. Long guns that are not AWs do not need to be "registered".

i am trying to save myself from a bunch of trouble should i have any encounter of LEOs. I have read the FAQ and it seems I dont have to register it.

If you encounter LEOs say nothing and refuse a search.

But I remember a police officer stopping me with my friends, I had an SKS and he went into "defense" mode and started looking over it and was about to threaten to take away my SKS because he said thats an assault rifle on the list of banned weapons. But because we were coming from an official event for an official purpose, he let us off. (Going home from the shooting range, directly back home). He knew we just came from the range and wanted to inspect the trunk of the vehicle for any weapons. If I had said NO, there would be some probable cause / cause for suspicion, so i just said "yes heres my ID, and I have all legal firearms in the trunk"

Wrong. Never consent to a search. Refusing to consent is not PC for a search. Keep your guns locked unloaded in non-descript cases in the trunk or out of plain sight.

SVPRApps
02-02-2010, 2:48 PM

See flowchart.

1. Registration periods for AWs has closed. 2. Long guns that are not AWs do not need to be "registered".

If you encounter LEOs say nothing and refuse a search.

Wrong. Never consent to a search. Refusing to consent is not PC for a search. Keep your guns locked unloaded in non-descript cases in the trunk or out of plain sight.

They threatened to impound/take away the car if we said NO. I am being serious. He said "if you have nothing to hide, then why are you saying NO to me, do you want me to impound the car and search it for anything illegal. do you have anything illegal in this car i should know about? i can search it here and get it over with or i can impound and search it at the tow truck lot"

i said "no i do not"

he said "well i am going to search it to make sure"

Blood Ocean
02-02-2010, 2:52 PM
Don't let bullies intimidate you, read and know the laws so you can quote them. If you can't memorize print it out and keep it with you, if you're not sure if you're breaking the law then find out for yourself, you don't want the cop to be the one to inform you of ANYTHING.

ke6guj
02-02-2010, 2:53 PM
what would have been his legal reason to impound it?

lorax3
02-02-2010, 2:54 PM
They threatened to impound/take away the car if we said NO. I am being serious.

He could have said whatever he wanted. That does not mean he had the right to search.

You can voluntarily register (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) your rifle if you feel from a personal standpoint that it is worth the privacy issues.

In fact, I made a thread a while back about this same topic (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=196893).

No legal requirement to register however.

wildhawker
02-02-2010, 2:56 PM
If your car is impounded for an illegal search related to firearms call the CGF hotline at 800-556-2109, PM (hoffmang, oaklander, bwiese) or email CGF.

They threatened to impound/take away the car if we said NO. I am being serious. He said "if you have nothing to hide, then why are you saying NO to me, do you want me to impound the car and search it for anything illegal. do you have anything illegal in this car i should know about? i can search it here and get it over with or i can impound and search it at the tow truck lot"

i said "no i do not"

he said "well i am going to search it to make sure"

dantodd
02-02-2010, 3:09 PM
maybe not bweise for the next couple days ;)

SVPRApps
02-02-2010, 3:12 PM
He could have said whatever he wanted. That does not mean he had the right to search.

You can voluntarily register (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) your rifle if you feel from a personal standpoint that it is worth the privacy issues.

In fact, I made a thread a while back about this same topic (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=196893).

No legal requirement to register however.

So how will he (LEO) know that I am the rightful owner of the firearm I am carrying? (non-handgun)

Do I have to carry my DROS/PPT paperwork with me everywhere I go?

dantodd
02-02-2010, 3:14 PM
So how will he (LEO) know that I am the rightful owner of the firearm I am carrying? (non-handgun)

The same way he knows you are the rightful owner of the sneakers on your feet, the phone in your pocket and the hair gel in your hair. It is HIS responsibility to show that you broke the law, not the other way around.

No sir, you do not.

wildhawker
02-02-2010, 3:15 PM

He doesn't, and it's irrelevant unless it is seized as part of a search. Some may elect to "vol reg" their long guns for this sort of concern, but it's unnecessary and a personal decision as lorax3 stated.

No, you don't.

GrizzlyGuy
02-02-2010, 3:33 PM

If you stand up for your rights and refuse to consent to a search, the LEO cannot use your refusal as a determinant in forming probable cause. The LEO was likely just bluffing to sucker you into providing consent.

Even if he thought he already had probable cause, the LEO would prefer to get your consent anyway, as that eliminates your lawyer's ability to later argue that the search was illegal. So, you lose nothing by refusing your consent: if he already has PC he will search anyway, and if he doesn't, you just avoided a search.

You might want to keep a voice recorder handy in your car. If you get stopped, turn it on, preferably before you pull over. Should you have a bad encounter, the recording may help you later.

Here is my obligatory link to the 'Don't Talk to the Cops' videos (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3371590&posted=1#post3371590) in case you haven't already seen them.

Cokebottle
02-02-2010, 3:38 PM

You are 50% wrong.

You are correct on the 2nd part. Declining a search is not PC.

The window for registering assault weapons was closed in 2000 and no new registrations are being allowed, nor are existing RAWs allowed to be transferred to another California resident other than a LEO.
They must be transferred to an FFL with an AW permit, or sold out of state.

Follow the flowchart. Fixed magazine containing no more than 10 rounds if evil features, detachable magazine if no evil features. It is legal as long as the receiver is not listed.