PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec RFB

Scorpiusdeus
02-02-2010, 2:25 PM
I swear I tried to use the search function. I tried Kel-Tec, I tried RFB...

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Soooo, is this thing Cali legal, anyone have one? What's the word on these?

mif_slim
02-02-2010, 2:26 PM
thats the 308 right? I dont think its CA legal...

i1800collect
02-02-2010, 2:28 PM
it would need a bullet button. dont know if anyone's made one for the Keltec RFB tho.

PEBKAC
02-02-2010, 2:31 PM
Not without a BB of sorts or an MMG/Solartactical it isn't...assuming the OAL is greater than 30 inches and (if going the MMG/ST route) there are no nasty flash hiders. ;)

It would definitely need to be middle-manned, either way to look at it.

Scorpiusdeus
02-02-2010, 2:34 PM
thats the 308 right? I dont think its CA legal...

Yes, it's the .308 I really like the idea of this thing.

02-02-2010, 3:18 PM
AOL is only 26" on the current model.... ;)

Swift Justice
02-02-2010, 3:21 PM
Fondled one at the SHOT show - its much heavier than it looks. Also fondled a Sub 2000, making plans to get one modified to featureless and sent to me.

i1800collect
02-02-2010, 3:23 PM
AOL is only 26" on the current model.... ;)

according to their website, they have a "target" version, which has an OAL of 40" with a 32" barrel.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/rfb.htm

ETA: just noticed that this was my 100th post! :clap:

Toolbox X
02-02-2010, 3:32 PM
I've been planning to get one for Nevada use. In CA it will remain disassembled.

hellraiser
02-02-2010, 5:28 PM
there was a "rumor" going around they were thinking about making a california legal one with a factory bullet button...

02-02-2010, 7:27 PM
according to their website, they have a "target" version, which has an OAL of 40" with a 32" barrel.

ETA: just noticed that this was my 100th post! :clap:

What's the point to go AOL of 40" for a bullpup ? ;)

i1800collect
02-02-2010, 7:35 PM
What's the point to go AOL of 40" for a bullpup ? ;)

haha, i know it really defeats the purpose. i just wanted to make sure the OP knew that the option existed, in case he was really dead set on getting a kel-tec rfb. :)

swerv512
02-02-2010, 8:48 PM
anyone find pics of the target version....

Scorpiusdeus
02-03-2010, 7:55 AM
I would prefer as small a version as possible as I see this fitting very nicely into that Bug Out/Get home rifle category. In the event of a major earthquake or other natural disaster I have a 30 + mile trek to make to my "strong hold". As much as I love my M-1A and or my PTR-91, neither one of them are very concealable in an emergency.

Swift Justice
02-03-2010, 8:44 AM
If portability is going to be a determinative factor, then I suggest an SU-16CA that folds and could be put in any size backpack or carry bag and can use pre-pan mags (SU 16 haters, save it for another thread). We are talking a SHTF gun for use in bugging out and getting you to a safe location - not a have-to-clear-Fallujah weapon. In a SHTF clear out scenario you are going to be mobile, walking maybe, moving through urban areas and moving through/past law enforcement barricades or checkpoints, EMS stations, etc. Better to have something in a backpack and look inconspicuous than walk around with a "battle rifle" on a sling.

I love my AR, my SKS, heck even my Lee-Enfield, but if I were going to be carrying any one of them on foot for any length of time or distance I would pack my SU16 if I were going to try to avoid firefights and only fire if fired upon. I'd save the others for defending the castle or more permanent moves.

Trevor
02-03-2010, 9:42 AM
Well said swift justice

Tintreach
03-03-2010, 12:00 AM
In a SHTF clear out scenario you are going to be mobile, walking maybe, moving through urban areas and moving through/past law enforcement barricades or checkpoints, EMS stations, etc. Better to have something in a backpack and look inconspicuous than walk around with a "battle rifle" on a sling.

I think that all depends on if you're carrying a badge, what's available and amount of law and order. I know a person who got stuck in New Orleans post welfare storm "Katrina". My father also went down there the day after the storm stopped as a PC hired by Sprint to reestablish communications. Both of em have horror stories and the bottom line is during a major natural disaster that's unexpected or in Kat's case unprepared/lazy. The first 96 hours is a free for all.

But concealable is good, mobile is best and creating distance or neutralizing closed space is most important. BUT fresh water is KING.

gunn
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
IIRC, the only version out right now is the Carbine. It's a small enough firm so you may want to call them and ask them if they've started production on the other, longer barreled models.
-g

swerv512
03-03-2010, 1:40 PM
i'd buy one ff i could legally have the carbine version- even if i dont personally like Kel-Tecs (dont know why yet though). defeats the purpose of a bullpup if you have to configure to stoopid CA OAL laws...

ldivinag
03-17-2010, 6:45 PM
from their website:

Longer barrel lengths of 24", 26" and 32" will be available in the future.

if the current carbine is the 18" barrel to get OAL of 26", then a 24" barrel will push it beyond the 30" OAL...

uzigalil
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I would like to get to use with my preban FAL mags

Would it be Legal to add a inch to the butt pad and a 3 inch muzzle break and a grip wrap to close the area between the mag and pistol grip ( like a steyr USr sorta )

Josh3239
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Yes, you could do that. It that is what it takes to meet the OAL.

Lex
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I would prefer as small a version as possible as I see this fitting very nicely into that Bug Out/Get home rifle category. In the event of a major earthquake or other natural disaster I have a 30 + mile trek to make to my "strong hold". As much as I love my M-1A and or my PTR-91, neither one of them are very concealable in an emergency.
Wouldn't Kel Tec PLR16 work better in that situation? You can fit it into a laptop computer bag. I just ordered one and it is coming as we speak but I am also have my eyes on the Sporter Version of the RFB. I heard from some reliable rumor it will be produce at the end of this year. I think the OAL is 32"