PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend..

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 2:32 PM
a shop where I can bring my sporter to get it re parkerized. It's not so much the fact that the parkerazation if wearing off..it's because my upper and lower are two different shades of black. The lower is more of a grey and the upper is black. More for cosmetic looks than anything else.:D

HEUER
01-09-2006, 2:36 PM
You will have to send it through a AW dealer out of state. One of the AR guys will give you the low down.

I live in the Bay Area and tried to get some GI boxes re-parked and could find nobody who would do it. Zero. I wish I could find some one who did in Northern California.

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 2:39 PM
You will have to send it through a AW dealer out of state. One of the AR guys will give you the low down.

I live in the Bay Area and tried to get some GI boxes re-parked and could find nobody who would do it. Zero. I wish I could find some one who did in Northern California.

Really? Just to send it out to a shop outta state to get some reparkerizing done you have to go through a authorized AW dealer! Christ!:mad:

HEUER
01-09-2006, 2:44 PM
Really? Just to send it out to a shop outta state to get some reparkerizing done you have to go through a authorized AW dealer! Christ!:mad:

You might want to check with some of the senior AR members, but I thought reg AR's have to go through a dealer with an AR license.

You want to be sure to get correct info on this.

Long guns can be sent out of state through UPS.

stevie
01-09-2006, 2:53 PM
Is the rifle a registered AW? If so, then yes, it is supposed to be sent out via AW FFL. A little off tone does no harm...

blacklisted
01-09-2006, 2:54 PM
Perhaps you can just take the upper off and send it? The upper should not have to go through a FFL.

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 2:54 PM
Is the rifle a registered AW? If so, then yes, it is supposed to be sent out via AW FFL. A little off tone does no harm...

Yes..it is a registered AW..

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 3:10 PM
Perhaps you can just take the upper off and send it? The upper should not have to go through a FFL.

True but I wanted to send both the upper and lower so both can be parkerized the same color.

stevie
01-09-2006, 3:13 PM
Per "law" your other option to to have it done around your area and wait for it. You cannot even leave it at a shop unless you are there with the rifle. Yes, it sucks...

TonyM
01-09-2006, 3:21 PM
Another option is to re-finish it yourself. It's quite easy and the results are great. Even my first time with no practice, just being cautious I got great results. I use Norrell's MolyResin, a heat gun, cheapie Airbush (Badger Model 350, was like $40 for a kit) and your oven.

Norrell's even has a color that matches up to the Colt gray/black. I re-finished a reciever last night in about 15 minutes plus the 1 hour curing time.

If you're interested checkout http://www.molyresin.com/ there is a link for "Procedures and Tips that tells you what you need and how to do it.

I've been raving about them lately, so before I'm accused... ;) I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

-hanko
01-09-2006, 4:41 PM
a shop where I can bring my sporter to get it re parkerized. It's not so much the fact that the parkerazation if wearing off..it's because my upper and lower are two different shades of black. The lower is more of a grey and the upper is black. More for cosmetic looks than anything else.:D
The upper and lower are aluminum, and are anodized. Parking works on steel, not aluminum. You need someone who can anodize & certify to specification MIL-A-8625, Type III. Type 3 is hard coat, types 1 & 2 are primarily decorative. You will need to be with your lower while it's processed, the upper can be done with you not present. Your trigger and barrel can be parked, assuming the barrel is not stainless steel. If you do park the barrel, it needs to be plugged at both ends and at the gas port during parking. Another method is to plug the muzzel and gas plug, fill the barrel with distilled or DI water, and plug the muzzle end. You could consider reanodizing the upper and lower, but reparking the barrel is a pita from the standpoint of prep...might be easier to find a new upper in a shade more compatible with that of the lower.

-hanko

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 9:15 PM
anyway you try and put it it sound like a royal pain in the arse to send it out to get the work done.:mad: