PDA

View Full Version : Possible to upload video to the web wirelessly for remote storage while recording?

Lone_Gunman
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
In the video in this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=265759 the guy says repeatedly that it is going live to the internet as he is recording. Do you guys know if the technology is available to have video remotely stored on the web as you are recording it or is he bluffing? If this technology exists and is viable it would be great for civil rights type work.

-LG

Pyrodyne
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
The technology certainly exists. Would it be admissible in court? Probably not. Could you tell what was really going on? Not a chance.

Some smartphones can make use of online services: Qik, Livecast, Stickam. Generally speaking, I would go with the Symbian on general principles.

As for the video in the thread, it is not streamed onto the internet. It may have been streamed and he used the original recording to post to youtube, however cellphones don't provide the bandwidth for video that clear to be streamed.

A cheap A/V wireless camera and a PVR would probably be best. If the camera is seized, the video will still be intact somewhere else. The receiving equipment could be stored and operated just about anywhere nearby as long as it is within range. A quick google search nets 2k feet range concealable cameras with receiver at $120. Add a PVR for about $100 and a little more for a high capacity flash card. There are also the SVAT wireless kits for a little less. There are also a wide variety of pinhole cameras that are made to look like everyday items, pens, buttons, etc. Most probably wouldn't pass a search, which is why I would recommend the wireless DVR setup.

Have one person carry the camera concealed or not, another carries the PVR if mobile, or stow it away nearby.

You can always upload to the internet later.

f33dback
03-03-2010, 6:48 PM
You can both stream and store the video online, the main problem isn't cameras or cost, it's available/reliable internet connection.
In 2000 I used X 10 (http://www.x10.com/) cam's all over my house and back yard, could log into my web server at home from work and get a 4 camera view, check on the dogs, etc.
I added one to the front door and streamed it to my TV so I could see who was there,
Selling something?
No thanks, didn't have to get up to find out.
Also put one on a radio controlled car and drove around the neighborhood viewing from my TV.
They are still around, web sites a bit cheesy always has a girl in a shower as part of their ad (rolls eyes).
Lots of other solutions as well, if you want to wade into some protest or open carry situation, and not have the video confiscated, in other words stream/store to a secure location without using the internet that's possible as well.

chiefcrash
03-04-2010, 7:53 AM
you average smartphone is a small computer with an internet connection and a camera...

webcams can stream "live" footage across the web...

other computers can record streaming webcam footage from the internet...

did you want me to say "Ta Da!" so it seemed like more of a trick?

chiefcrash
03-12-2010, 7:18 AM
check this out: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/03/impromptu_live_streaming_video_rig.html