PDA

View Full Version : Open carry AR15?

nickT916
02-02-2010, 1:20 PM
Not that I will be doing this, but do the rifles fall into same category as a hand gun? You can carry it around as long as it's not loaded? But expect to show papers to every LEO that sees you?

Also I have seen Many guys shooting heir rifles out in the open fields and hills. I asked around and they said as long as you are outside of Sacramento county and far from private properties then you got nothing to worry about??

I tried to do some research and found that you don't have to be at a shooting range to target practice in CA, i just couldn't find the specifics on what the exceptions Are... Like if there is a certain distance from the closest property, does it have to be in national forest or anything

shooterdude
02-02-2010, 1:21 PM
Not that I will be doing this, but do the rifles fall into same category as a hand gun? You can carry it around as long as it's not loaded? But expect to show papers to every LEO that sees you?

Also I have seen Many guys shooting heir rifles out in the open fields and hills. I asked around and they said as long as you are outside of Sacramento county and far from private properties then you got nothing to worry about??

I tried to do some research and found that you don't have to be at a shooting range to target practice in CA, i just couldn't find the specifics on what the exceptions Are... Like if there is a certain distance from the closest property, does it have to be in national forest or anything

I suspect you will be having lots of conversations with LEO's....

Josh3239
02-02-2010, 1:23 PM
Google "BLM land".

But expect to show papers to every LEO that sees you?

What papers?

Marsoc1
02-02-2010, 1:25 PM
I suspect you will be having lots of conversations with LEO's....

standing up or facing down on the ground?

Hello Kitty Assassin
02-02-2010, 1:28 PM
For open carrying a rifle you should check out this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3706916. Shooting outside a range your best bet is going to be BLM land and national forests. You can get BLM maps at the Sacramento Office or you can call and order them I think

hkusp9c
02-02-2010, 1:34 PM
Lots and lots of very unfriendly conversatio with the police.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-02-2010, 3:41 PM
I was under the impression that UOC with a rifle was legally ok anyplace that UOC was allowed. As long as you aren't brandishing, it shouldn't (legally) be a problem. Just expect to meet lots of nice police officers if you go wandering down the street with an OLL slung over your shoulder. Besides, have you ever tried to go grocery shopping with a rifle slung over your shoulder? It gets in the way all the time.

armygunsmith
02-02-2010, 3:47 PM
Besides, have you ever tried to go grocery shopping with a rifle slung over your shoulder? It gets in the way all the time.

I know. I especially hate it when my rifle knocks stuff off the shelves when I turn around. :p

The DRis
02-02-2010, 4:15 PM
Hahaha. That visusal just made me lol.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-02-2010, 5:55 PM
I know. I especially hate it when my rifle knocks stuff off the shelves when I turn around. :p

And it always gets banged on the doors when I try to get something out of the freezers... But on the plus side, it is always easy to find an open checkout lane. And the cashiers are always very polite. ;)

ZombieKiller
02-02-2010, 5:58 PM
Let us know how this works out for you.....seriously.

indetrucks
02-02-2010, 5:59 PM
MEh, I think the majority of people will probably think that you're carrying an airsoft gun. Probably think you'd have to be a fool to carry a REAL AR.

supersteve9219
02-02-2010, 6:27 PM
if you do it please have a friend close by to video tape it, depending on what happens you could have a youtube hit on your hands...

weezil_boi
02-02-2010, 7:18 PM
Well, I suppose it depends where you are walking. I see you are here in sac. If you are in doowntown/midtown with that thing you will meet several officers all at once, maybe even some swat :) If you are in a suburb like folsom or roseville - my guess is depending on how you are dressed, you'd look like an airsoft guy. If you walk through elk grove with one... with all the extra police they have, you'll meet 6-10 at once.

If you do this, be prepared to explain away and be EXTREMELY careful. I had an old 10/22 stock with a spotting scope zip tied to it at a park in elk grove a couple years ago. Someone must have thought my daughter and I were looking with a real / pellet gun because some EGPD officers said hello. If you saaw this thing youd understand why it was so ridiculous. Just trying to show her the squirrels in the tree tops.

But really... a rifle case would be smart.

luckystrike
02-02-2010, 7:20 PM
" away from property"
what people dont know dont hurt them :D

Josh3239
02-02-2010, 7:27 PM
if you do it please have a friend close by to video tape it, depending on what happens you could have a youtube hit on your hands...

Or alteast put on a bulletproof vest...

Lagduf
02-02-2010, 8:33 PM
Or alteast put on a bulletproof vest...

I've often wondered how the police would respond to UOCers wearing bulletproof vests.

timdps
02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Besides, have you ever tried to go grocery shopping with a rifle slung over your shoulder? It gets in the way all the time.

Just put it in the cart...:D

It would look great sticking up out of the shopping cart. People would be asking which isle you found it in.

tim

tombinghamthegreat
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Legal yes. Review the threads UOC and consider the risks and benefits. Be sure you could deal with the risks such as legal fees.

WW2Buff
02-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Shall cgn sanction its own holiday? UOC day...? How funny would the news be that night. The media would s*** itself.

Nessal
02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
When I was in Nevada, I saw this chick with a Remington 700 slung over her shoulders walking to wherever she was going. Needless to say, she was 500% hotter having been doing that. No one said anything and no one was arrested.

supersteve9219
02-03-2010, 1:21 PM
Shall cgn sanction its own holiday? UOC day...? How funny would the news be that night. The media would s*** itself.

While that sounds very fun, I can see them trying to make open carry illegal after said event.

nickT916
02-05-2010, 2:19 AM
heck if i was rich, and nobody knew i was rich, i would do this all the time and enjoy dealing with the courts and proving things wrong.. heck, this would be an excellent opportunity to freshen up on my legal rights, get all the court lingo down, etc etc...

after about 10-15 being in same court for the same issue, you will be well know with all the cops and judges and nobody will bother you anymore :)