PDA

View Full Version : First Rifle Help

jordan870
02-02-2010, 7:00 AM
i finally got the ok to buy a new rifle the only problem is i will be paying at big 5 with girt cards. but the gift cards will only pay for like a 120 of the rifle.
i went to big 5 and the dont have any of those budget rifles like the mossberg 100 atr or stevens 200 or marlin xs7. what do you guys think about them?
i am looking to get one of these rifles. would big 5 order one for me???
i already went to other gun stores to look at them and i like them all haha.

but at big five they also have those mosin nagants i was wondering if it was worth buying and the fixing it up and giving it a new trigger from timiny and new stock and a scope mount and scope. are there scope mounts for this rifle that don't require drilling and tapping the receiver.

thanks very much

jordan870
02-02-2010, 8:35 PM
ttt

Brendan Sullivan
02-02-2010, 9:58 PM
If they don't have what you want in stock, wait a week or more and check again. Also watch their sale papers for the thing you want and try to only grab it when it's on sale.

The way Big 5 does firearms, they list them at a pretty stupid high price, but put them on sale or have coupon sales regularly and that's when you want to strike so you can get the piece at the 'normal' price. If you just missed a sale, you can ask and they'll often give you the discount price.

If this is going to be your only rifle for a while, I strongly recommend a .22 to put yourself in 'rifle mode' since there's a big focus on position and breathing and steadiness compared to shotguns. A .22lr is cheap up front, ammo costs pennies, and the report and recoil are negligible. All of these factors mean you can stay out practising for a whole day instead of twenty minutes and then packing it up.

If it's for hunting and you must have a bolt-action in a full caliber, make sure you price ammo while you're there. The Savage rifle/scope combo is a great deal, especially since a Savage shoots great out of the box and there's not much to improve upon. Not all of their cheapie pieces are worthy purchases. Stay away from the Rem 770, for instance. If you want a Mosin-Nagant, make sure you know what to expect. They are used military pieces, so the barrel could be great or shyte, recoil will be pretty stout, and the ammo may be a little expensive, and will likely be corrosive, meaning you have to add cleaning with water to your usual cleaning regimen.

jordan870
02-03-2010, 4:29 PM
thank you very much.
i would rather not get a mosin its just there way cheaper.
me and a couple of friends used to shoot .22 all the time but now the weather isnt that good for it. my friend will let me shoot it when ever too so i dont need a .22lr.

but do you think big 5 will order one of those guns for me.?. i have checked there multiple times with no luck in the past couple weeks.

RawImpact
02-03-2010, 4:54 PM
Jordan, you live in a big town... take advantage of what you have available around you. With a price range of 120, take no offense but you're quite limited. I myself am a huge fan of mosin nagants but you have to be careful and be patient about choosing them.

Because this is your first rifle, i would say go with the mosin nagant. I myself like the long barreled 91/30. If you're serious, then PM me. I will give you some tips on what to look for when purchasing in store.

WW2Buff
02-03-2010, 5:02 PM
The Mosin Nagant is a great start if you want to skip the rimfire phase. Other members might warn against missing that though. Ammo is cheap and plentiful for the Mosin, just be prepared to clean well due to the corrsive ammo but do not let that deter you. Along with the plentiful ammo there is also many modifications you can do to the Mosin with or without permanent change. You could also keep it stock and admire it's history. That's what I would do. You could look at the curio and relic section here or at the link provided below for help concerning the Mosin series of rifles. Good luck with your purchase! -Ben

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

jordan870
02-03-2010, 6:23 PM
thanks everyone.
i have a 120 in big 5 gift cards that i want to use thats why i wanted to buy from big 5 but i have more money out side the gift card just not a lot.
i can spend around 300 including the gift cards.
i would only get a mosin nagant if i had no alternatives but i have a lot of time before i will be needing it.
how is mosin nagant accuracy when you first get it after cleaning of course?
how is the accuracy after a new stock and trigger and scope?

Brendan Sullivan
02-03-2010, 9:10 PM
You'll quickly reach a point with a M-N where the thing holding back your accuracy is your barrel or ammo.

Inspect the barrel at the store and see if the bore is shiny and rifling sharp. That's usually a good indicator of condition without breaking out tools. The 'bullet test' is inserting a bullet into the muzzle and seeing if it sinks all the way to the neck. Only way to be assured of condition is with erosion gauges, or to just shoot it. If you have issues within the last few inches of barrel, you can always have it cut back/backbored/recrowned.

Second issue is that most of the ammo in the U.S. is surplus, and not really match quality. You won't get a surplus Mosin to be a M.O.A. shooter for any less money than you'd have spent buying a different rifle in the first place.

Consider a modern production rifle like a Savage, Weatherby, Browning A-Bolt, and so forth if you want to be able to squeeze accuracy out of the final package.

jordan870
02-04-2010, 6:42 AM
You'll quickly reach a point with a M-N where the thing holding back your accuracy is your barrel or ammo.

Inspect the barrel at the store and see if the bore is shiny and rifling sharp. That's usually a good indicator of condition without breaking out tools. The 'bullet test' is inserting a bullet into the muzzle and seeing if it sinks all the way to the neck. Only way to be assured of condition is with erosion gauges, or to just shoot it. If you have issues within the last few inches of barrel, you can always have it cut back/backbored/recrowned.

Second issue is that most of the ammo in the U.S. is surplus, and not really match quality. You won't get a surplus Mosin to be a M.O.A. shooter for any less money than you'd have spent buying a different rifle in the first place.

Consider a modern production rifle like a Savage, Weatherby, Browning A-Bolt, and so forth if you want to be able to squeeze accuracy out of the final package.

thank you. so you think I would be better off just buying the modern production rifle then fixing up a mosin nagant?

could big 5 order a gun for me?

ponderosa
02-04-2010, 9:38 AM

call 'em and ask?

Milsurp Collector
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
but at big five they also have those mosin nagants i was wondering if it was worth buying and the fixing it up and giving it a new trigger from timiny and new stock and a scope mount and scope. are there scope mounts for this rifle that don't require drilling and tapping the receiver.

Ammo for the Mosin is cheap
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/880rds-762x54r-bulgarian-military-147gr-steel-core-ammo/cName/762x54r-fmj-ammo
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x54r/p/7-62x54r-bulgarian-light-ball-fmj-ammo%2C-steel-case%2C-440-rd-tins-/cPath/12_42/products_id/1789

No-gunsmith no drill/tap scope mount http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26104/Product/MOSIN_NAGANT_MOUNT

New stock
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0003643221835a&navCount=1&podId=0003643&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=ati%20mosin%20nagant%20stock&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

Keep any parts you remove so you can always return it to original configuration.

dieselpower
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I STRONGLY disagree to buy a Mosin Nagant as your first firearm. As a first firearm with a limited budget of $300, I would get a modern production shotgun. Its practical for self defense, limited hunting, HUGE fun, and cheap to shoot. A MN will be more expensive to shoot (in the long run), can only be shot outdoors or at certain indoor ranges, will; be of unknown quality (at Big 5 you dont buy the one off the rack, thats a display, yours comes from the warehouse), has extremely limited self defense and hunting situations, and to tell you the truth is a pain in the *** to enjoy.

Milsurp Collector
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
i finally got the ok to buy a new rifle...

I STRONGLY disagree to buy a Mosin Nagant as your first firearm. As a first firearm with a limited budget of $300, I would get a modern production shotgun.

Shotguns are great, but he's shopping for a rifle.

BRANDON7766
02-04-2010, 1:16 PM
do the .22...you wont regret it. Buying a mosin might sound fun or unique but in the long run your limitd budget is much better spent on .22 rifle and rounds.

K_Labs
02-04-2010, 3:01 PM
You can bring a .22 LR to a indoor range and you can buy a AR AK or GSG5 which look way cooler than a mosin.

However after shooting a bigger caliber once you go back to your .22 it seems like you're shooting a cap gun.

kf6tac
02-04-2010, 3:07 PM

Doesn't hurt to ask, but chances are, they'll say no to custom orders. If they have one in another store they might work out a transfer from that store to the one you're at, but if it's something that the company as a whole does not carry, there's very little chance that the individual store would go out of its way to arrange a shipment from a manufacturer (I don't know if the individual stores are even allowed to do that). If it's something that the company carries but which isn't in-stock at any of the stores, they'll probably just tell you to come back next week after their restocking shipment and try your luck then.

killshot44
02-04-2010, 4:06 PM
Individual Big-5s don't do gun orders. They just get what the mothership sends them to sell.

I'm another guy advising against getting Mosin.

Save your dollars, have a birthday, work longer hours etc. With a $400 budget you're going to have more and much better options available. Find someone to buy those gift cards from you for cash. Find a deal online and have it sent to a local shop.

reidnez
02-04-2010, 4:18 PM
You don't really state what the rifle will be used for, but I will still recommend a .22--the Ruger 10/22 in particular, because (other than the AR15), it's probably the most customizable firearm in existence.

I know you're looking at bigger, centerfire stuff, but I'll tell you this: with a safe full of C&R service rifles, a varmint rifle, and an AR or two, my .22's get fired the most--by far. Ammo is still cheap, they're fun to shoot (more so than my Mosins, I'd wager) and since I often take novice shooters with me, the .22 is *perfect* for teaching. They can focus on proper technique and developing good habits, without worrying about getting whacked by muzzle blast or forming a minor hematoma on their shoulder. And I still enjoy the heck out of shooting them. I think the idea that you'll "grow out of" a .22 is really a falsehood. Most of the experienced shooters I know will still spend plenty of time with .22's, because they recognize the utility and fun factor, and don't feel the need to have the biggest cannon at the range.

Honestly, Mosins are fun to collect--not so much to shoot. Just my 2 cents.

Brendan Sullivan
02-04-2010, 4:36 PM
+1 to waiting if you can. If you can't stomach a rimfire, either sell your gift cards for cash and hit up a local fun shop, or wait for a deal on a rifle/scope combo in a light caliber like .22 mag, .243, .270, or .223 (though ammo is scarce right now).

The .22lr will get you out shooting the most often with the most return on your money, but if you want to hunt with it in the future, you'll need a centerfire caliber.

jordan870
02-04-2010, 5:16 PM
i was thinking of the .308 in one of those bargain rifles like the marlin xs7 for practically all california game from deer to pig to bear. seeing that stocks and scope mounts and triggers to make a mosin nagant even worth it would make it as expensive as any of these bargain rifles with a scope so thats what i think i will get to much can go wrong with a mosin.

jordan870
02-04-2010, 8:35 PM
nope big 5 does not order guns.
the only cheap rifle they had was the mossberg 100atr in .30-06 or .270 what a bummer i was hopping for .308. and it wasnt even cheep.