PDA

View Full Version : In florida out of state application?

zero
02-02-2010, 1:29 AM
Sounds confusing from the title, but I would like to know if would be easier applying for an out of state CCW permit while I'm in Miami next week as opposed to applying here in San Diego via snail mail.

D-Man
02-02-2010, 7:46 AM
You can have your fingerprints done electronically at the local PD and submitted. Saves you some money and time. Other then that, it is the same.

Big Jake
02-02-2010, 9:06 AM
The state of Florida is behind on ccw permits so it should make little difference where you get your fingerprints done. If you go the fingerprint card route then you will have to have the prints done by a law enforcement ageny rather then a private fingerprint company.

Either way you are looking at 60-90 day turnaround for Florida ccw

D-Man
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
And pay extra for a "rolled" fingerprint card vs. electronic scanning the Florida PD that you go to.

AbbyCat
02-02-2010, 8:03 PM
To paraphrase page 5 of Florida's 'Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Application Instructions'...

- Electronic Fingerprint services are only available within Florida. If you send the application in from out of state, you must use a card.

- If you decide to apply while you are visiting Florida and go the electronic route, be 'aware that if law enforcement authorities reject your scanned fingerprints because of legibility problems, the law requires you to have your prints scanned a SECOND TIME at the SAME sheriff's office where your prints were initially taken. This would be a problem if you've already left the state.

- So then, if you need to submit a second set, now by hard form, there will be an additional charge because of the different method used.

I had looked into this when my first set of prints (on a card) were rejected. Upon submission of the second set, my permit was turned around quite fast. I had sent in the application before Thanksgiving and I had the permit in hand by Christmas.

GearHead
02-12-2010, 10:51 PM
The state of Florida is behind on ccw permits so it should make little difference where you get your fingerprints done. If you go the fingerprint card route then you will have to have the prints done by a law enforcement ageny rather then a private fingerprint company.

Either way you are looking at 60-90 day turnaround for Florida ccw

Just FYI that's not entirely true anymore. MOST of the people on the FL CC forum are getting their permits in under 30 days, some as fast as 15 or 16.

Big Jake
02-13-2010, 3:50 PM
Things must have improved since I got mine. It took 70 days for them to process my application. I am glad they are on top of it!