PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have better customer service then LaRue?

sreiter
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I've been buying a bunch of stuff from them.

They have a no questions asked return policy. I returned a rifle bag, they said keep the "swag" just send back the bag (swag = bottle opener, hat, stickers, bbq dry rub. that gotta be about 25-30 bucks of free stuff).

I got a bipod mount and harris bipod (factoring the cost of the mount, the bipod by itself was cheaper then anywhere else). The mount had some grease, or paint or something i couldnt wipe off.

They dent me a new one, no charge before i even sent my bad one back. The new one came with all the swag again, plus return shipping label.

I had the same issue with that one. Called them up. the guy said he'll go personally inspect the next one they're shipping out. They sent it out no charge before i sent the other TWO back.

I got it, another box full of swag.

Most companies will charge your CC if you want it before you send back the bad one, then credit your account when they get it. Not LaRue.

I read all the negative stuff about Mark, Etc. I dont get. I have never had as pleasant shopping experience as i did there. they have my business pretty much for life. it wold have to be some crazy savings for me to look elsewhere

Sniper3142
02-02-2010, 8:22 AM
Yup,

Larue Tactical's customer service is about the BEST there is. They are a real pleasure to deal with. I've got over half a dozen Larue hats from all of the stuff I've purchased.

Some folks on this board will probably chime in to complain about Larue's policy regarding sending complete rifles or just lowers to California but Mark has slightly modified his stance over time (allowing sales via a middleman) and he might even come around one day. ;)

I'm a proud repeat customer of Larue Tactical and will continue to be one.

Nessal
02-02-2010, 8:28 AM
Addax Tactical

evidens83
02-02-2010, 8:28 AM
Free "swag" doesn't account for his anti-CA OLL stance.

GP3
02-02-2010, 8:35 AM

His generous donations to the Calguns Foundation do. :)

Federalist
02-02-2010, 8:44 AM
I'm a big LaRue fan. Their products are GTG. Nobody beats their customer service. A very few places match it (like Jason Trusty at Gear Sector).

After some back and forth, Mark LaRue has become a reasonable supporter of our 2A rights in CA. I am ok with him not selling OLLs directly into CA only because he facilitates others making the sales into CA. And as noted above, he has generously contributed to the CGF.

Vin496
02-02-2010, 8:57 AM
LaRue does has some awesome customer service. That is undeniable.

Bug Splat
02-02-2010, 9:12 AM
They are one of the best for sure. Ordered a LT-129 (goose neck) but they didn't have any in stock. Mark sent me a LT-150 to hold me over until the LT-129's were done. Once I got the LT-129 he said to go ahead and keep the LT-150! If there is better customer service I'd like to know where because that is just outstanding.

Swift Justice
02-02-2010, 9:29 AM
I don't have any La Rue stuff other than a calendar that I picked up at their SHOT show booth. We did hang around the booth for a while (which always seemed to be a busy place) and everyone there seemed to be really interested in the folks who stopped by to take a gander at all their cool products, unlike a lot of booths where if you didn't look like you had money or were going to make a big order they treated you like a leper (the Tapco booth across the way). I used to work the National Hardware show and others so I know how the trade show racket goes.

We also talked a little with them on the California situation and they seemed to be very sympathetic. Putting myself in their shoes as a manufacturer, and actually being a lawyer, I can understand how they would be reticent to make sales of anything directly into California (Everyone knows we have the most understanding DOJ who are not arbitrary or capricious at all...). This is in contrast to other booths like Olympic Arms, who when we started talking about the situation in California one of the principals said "all this talk is making my head hurt" and just walked away. The folks at the Les Baer booth wouldn't even talk about sending anything into California.

The list of companies who were actually interested in sending anything black rifle into California was very small - those that did will definitely get my business (really nice stuff from http://www.americanspiritarms.com/ delicious side charging uppers!)

Rob454
02-02-2010, 9:49 AM
Look just because his customer service is exemplary, that has nothing to do with his attitude. My customer service is exemplary also, and 99% of the time Im a very nice giving person but I can be a total a hole if I need to be.

Bug Splat
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
(really nice stuff from http://www.americanspiritarms.com/ delicious side charging uppers!)

HAHAHA did you just use the word "delicious" to describe a gun part? I don't think I have ever heard the two used together.;)

sreiter
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Rob. If his personality is bad, it doesn't translate to his business so what do I care

Maybe he gets a bad attitude when after nicely explaining why he won't chance his company and still have people tell him he's a jerk he takes it personal and tells them to f off

sholling
02-02-2010, 11:50 AM
LaRue has the best products and customer service.

ArkinDomino
02-02-2010, 1:03 PM
Better? I don't know about that, but Noveske and BCM has great service too.

sreiter
02-02-2010, 1:37 PM
Arkin I've bought a upper and bcg from bravo. Impossible to reach on the phone. Larue guyd will answer any question and then some. Only other place that gave.me as much tech info was jp

jello2594
02-02-2010, 3:13 PM
I was a bit on the fence due to the cost of the ACOG mount, but honestly, this thread did it for me - just placed my first LaRue order!

technique
02-02-2010, 3:18 PM
I was a bit on the fence due to the cost of the ACOG mount, but honestly, this thread did it for me - just placed my first LaRue order!

They are worth every penny.

I need to get myself another.

ElvenSoul
02-02-2010, 3:26 PM
Hi Point Firearms.

SamsDX
02-23-2010, 4:50 PM
Post after post on different forums sing LaRue's praises (with this one being no exception), which makes my experience seem all the more unusual but no less frustrating. Based on all this positive feedback about fast fulfillment and responses to questions, I assumed I would be in good hands.

At any rate, I ordered an optic+mount combination last Thursday evening, and the only communication I got from them was the automated response saying they received my order. I understand that not everybody has the fast fulfillment capabilities of the bigger companies, so I thought it would wait another business day or so before inquiring further. I didn't get any notice on Monday that my order was completed, so I sent off a quick e-mail asking whether anything I requested was back ordered. The rest of the day I get no further response, and 24 hours later, I send another e-mail asking again for the status of my order. It has now been almost two full business days since I sent the first e-mail, and almost 5 days since I initially placed the order, with no response.

I'm just getting started with Off-List Lowers, and I have not had any issues with the other online retailers (Bravo Company, Brownell's, Midway, DPMS, Riflegear, Bushmater, Magna-Matic). I find LaRue's non-responsiveness a little disconcerting, considering that this is by far the single most expensive item I've purchased for the rifle. This is not a rhetorical question, but have my online/e-mail customer expectations become unreasonable in this "instant response" culture of today?

In all this, if you've noticed I haven't mentioned anything about making a phone call, you'd be right. I haven't called them yet, and I will tomorrow if I don't get an e-mail, so I take partial responsibility for sitting here with no information 5 days after I placed my order. However, I don't think that detracts from my complaint that my e-mails seem to go unanswered, even though they explicitly state that e-mail is a perfectly acceptable way to contact them. It could be that their server is down, but that seems unlikely since some of the more recent posts of praise (which specifically mention experiences with contacting LaRue by e-mail) are dated the last several days. I've checked my spam/trash boxes to make sure any messages were diverted, and I know they have my correct address because I got that initial automated confirmation e-mail.

I'm sure the quality of their products are top-notch, which is why I'm reluctant to just cancel the order. But if this non-responsiveness continues, I may not have a choice.

a1fabweld
02-23-2010, 5:11 PM

Thank you! I agree. IMO, he only made a large donation to try & offset the buttmud he spewed here & on other forums about everything California. I'll never patronize a company like that.

rero360
02-23-2010, 5:16 PM
Post after post on different forums sing LaRue's praises (with this one being no exception), which makes my experience seem all the more unusual but no less frustrating. Based on all this positive feedback about fast fulfillment and responses to questions, I assumed I would be in good hands.

At any rate, I ordered an optic+mount combination last Thursday evening, and the only communication I got from them was the automated response saying they received my order. I understand that not everybody has the fast fulfillment capabilities of the bigger companies, so I thought it would wait another business day or so before inquiring further. I didn't get any notice on Monday that my order was completed, so I sent off a quick e-mail asking whether anything I requested was back ordered. The rest of the day I get no further response, and 24 hours later, I send another e-mail asking again for the status of my order. It has now been almost two full business days since I sent the first e-mail, and almost 5 days since I initially placed the order, with no response.

I'm just getting started with Off-List Lowers, and I have not had any issues with the other online retailers (Bravo Company, Brownell's, Midway, DPMS, Riflegear, Bushmater, Magna-Matic). I find LaRue's non-responsiveness a little disconcerting, considering that this is by far the single most expensive item I've purchased for the rifle. This is not a rhetorical question, but have my online/e-mail customer expectations become unreasonable in this "instant response" culture of today?

In all this, if you've noticed I haven't mentioned anything about making a phone call, you'd be right. I haven't called them yet, and I will tomorrow if I don't get an e-mail, so I take partial responsibility for sitting here with no information 5 days after I placed my order. However, I don't think that detracts from my complaint that my e-mails seem to go unanswered, even though they explicitly state that e-mail is a perfectly acceptable way to contact them. It could be that their server is down, but that seems unlikely since some of the more recent posts of praise (which specifically mention experiences with contacting LaRue by e-mail) are dated the last several days. I've checked my spam/trash boxes to make sure any messages were diverted, and I know they have my correct address because I got that initial automated confirmation e-mail.

I'm sure the quality of their products are top-notch, which is why I'm reluctant to just cancel the order. But if this non-responsiveness continues, I may not have a choice.

I don't know whats up, I emailed them saturday night to see about getting NSN numbers for a few of their products to pass on to my supply SGT. (they don't have NSNs, weird ordering set up I guess) I had a reply back from them waiting for me when I woke up yesterday. Personally I'd just chill out and give it a few more days, or you could give them a call.

I've ordered from places online and all I got was the first email saying that they received my order, still got my products in the normal time frame.

Ravenslair
02-23-2010, 8:44 PM
Top notch. I have ordered a lot of gear from them and each time they are great. That is not to say there are not other companies with great customer service. This post was about LaRue and LaRue is good to go in my book. They can keep taking my money. Unfortunately, the wife is getting tired of the dillo openers and meat rub (the swag kind, not the kind some of you are thinking).

I honestly could care less if Mark sends is lowers to California. We have ways of getting them and he is fine working within those avenues. Plus, he has donated more than anyone I know to the CGF to help us continue our fight.

till44
02-23-2010, 9:11 PM
Just got another package from Larue today and I think they're top notch and tied with BCM for customer service. I could care less that he will not send lowers to CA, either will BCM but you never hear people complain about them. They both make great products, that can't be beat in quality.

And for everyone with too much Larue swag that you want to get rid of. I'll take it... or check out the Larue Swag Trading thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=179681

xaaronx
02-23-2010, 9:13 PM

Yep. And Free **** doesnt equal customer service, and getting to keep the free **** after you returned a product doesnt gel either, its actually pretty funny. SKD has GREAT customer service, Brownells gets product to you magically fast, and Email LMT a tech question about anything, and you will get a prompt response without any weird texas sayings like "well **** if I was as high as a hickory bump on a dead ant..." or "Where I come from two ducks dont fur on the coyotes ***" Again, GOOD customer service is free of gimmicks and all about SERVICE.

adrenalinemedic
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Mark LaRue is a businessman who makes an exemplary product. He has literally set the standard on optics mounts out of a small shop in central Texas. There is currently none finer.

He also stands behind his product 100%. He's like Mick Strider, in that if you break his product, he'll replace it for free, and cover shipping both ways, just so he can see how it failed, and how (if possible) to make it better.

Solid product with a no-questions-asked replacement policy. What else do you people want, a handjob?

Some of you have a problem with his politics; why do you blame the guy for not wanting to play ball with CA unconstitutional laws? Do you all hate Ronnie Barrett, too? How about Reed Knight? Or Paul Buffoni? Who says they have to sell, and risk arbitrary harassment by DOJ? Place the blame where blame is due: on the lawmakers who created the existing situation.

Politics and customer service are two very different things. And aside from one guy who hasn't gotten his email answered (Oh my God, because that has never happened with any other company, ever! Have any of you ever tried to contact Crye?) the best you people can come up with is "Mark LaRue won't sell me a lower because I live in CA...wahh wahh wahh." Newsflash: there's a LOT of stuff we can't get because we live in CA.

Then again, I guess if Mark and his products really sucked so much, you naysayers wouldn't be so upset you couldn't get it.

SamsDX
02-23-2010, 11:14 PM
And aside from one guy who hasn't gotten his email answered (Oh my God, because that has never happened with any other company, ever! Have any of you ever tried to contact Crye?)

Whether or not I've tried to contact "Crye," or whether I have had difficulties contacting other companies, is entirely irrelevant to my earlier post critical of LaRue. To the extent I have had dealings with businesses that refuse to answer my e-mails, I no longer do business with them, as you most likely would too. The fact is, I've had difficulty getting a response from them via e-mail (especially for something as simple as order status), and from a customer service perspective, I do believe that to be a legitimate issue.

That it is being trivialized in a dismissive, almost mocking tone, is rather regrettable. I'm referring to a single transaction, with which I have personal experience. I acknowledged from the very beginning that others have had much better experiences. My point in posting the earlier message is that a few hiccups in customer service may be encountered, and it may not be as perfect as everyone makes it out to be. After all, the topic of this thread is "Does anyone have better customer service then LaRue?" which I understand to be a general discussion of Larue's customer service. If you can tell me two unanswered e-mails over two, going on three days is the industry norm, then I would be in the wrong, and I would apologize for characterizing that as bad customer service. Bottom line, based upon LaRue's otherwise stellar reputation, I expected much better, and the spirited defense of the company is further proof that my expectation was not completely unjustified.

Now, the quality of their products may be so extraordinary that these lapses may be overlooked. I remain hopeful that this will be the case, though my patience is being tested.

I wasn't around to see the supposedly controversial political statements, nor do I have the desire to search for them, so I have no opinion on the matter.

killshot44
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Maybe if they didn't waste money on shwag they could sell their products for less.

That said, good customer service IS worth a whole lot these days.

Suvorov
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
LaRue is awesome!!!

So is Brownells!!! I have been using Brownells as my main source for the past couple years. They offer military and LEO discounts which makes them competitive with most other online sites. They have one of the (if the the) best selection in the industry and have KNOWLEDGEABLE gun smiths on hand to answer just about every question you have. You place an order before 1400 west coast time and it will be shipped within an hour or two. Without a discount, Brownells is pretty much MSRP, but the funny thing about Brownells (which is the same thing as with LaRue) is that the price you pay gets you tremendous customer service. In the world of Big Box Store mentality, this service is a refreshing thing.

adrenalinemedic
02-24-2010, 5:28 PM
/snip/

What happened when you called them?

You have tried calling them, haven't you? Maybe give them a chance before you accuse them of 'refusing to answer' your emails (an imperfect method of communication that hardly guarantees delivery)?

I guess instead of being proactive, you would rather disparage the company. That says a lot about your character.

I just went through this thread, and counted the replies.

14 people (myself included) who are rave about, or at least acknowledge, that LaRue has great customer service.

1 person (you) who think LaRue has poor customer service.

2 people who had a negative view of their politics.

2 people who had a positive or understanding view of his politics.

So...a 14-1 ratio, with the only negative being that you haven't gotten a response to email. Not that you haven't been able to get in touch, since there are other avenues available to you that you are unwilling to utilize.

Looks like a big win for a great company to me.

SamsDX
02-24-2010, 6:57 PM
Defending a company's (in)actions with ad hominem attacks on my "character" hardly seems appropriate, much less relevant to the issue being discussed in this thread - which, as I repeatedly stated across two posts, is the responsiveness in communicating with the company over e-mail. I don't understand why you keep insisting on following this tact, as my earlier posts have mentioned nothing to degrade your character, Mark LaRue's character, or the character of any of his employees.

Before you make any further assumptions, have you thought to consider that not everyone can make personal calls during working hours that extend beyond the normal 9-5? Accommodating those situations is what e-mail was meant for. Another reason I did not contact them via phone was out of respect for their time and deference to their reputation since I had e-mailed them once already. To try to make a phone call immediately after sending an e-mail would show I have no respect for their time, and that I did not have confidence in their capabilities. I made the request once, and the recipient of a subsequent identical request would likely find it annoying at best, and more than likely, offended. Initially it came across as that deference and respect being thrown back in my face, hence the heightened emotions of my first post.

In response to the suggestion that e-mail is an imperfect mode of communication, I offer that much business of today is conducted on the (now) reasonable assumption that it is quite the contrary. I believe it is appropriate to draw one of two inferences if there is a substantial delay - either the human resources are inadequate, or the technical resources are inadequate. Either is not a positive reflection of a company.

I merely stated that I have had difficulty receiving a timely answer to a simple question on my order, and if this is reflective of their customer service, then it's not all what it's made out to be. Again, please try to understand the simple fact that I've never said Mark LaRue or any of his employees are liars, cheats, or frauds, or intimated as such. My one experience gave me doubt, and my post goes no further than to describe that experience. That's hardly what can be called "disparaging," which is "a false and injurious statement that discredits or detracts from the reputation of another's... business." None of my statements I made are false: the sequence of e-mails occurred as I described. Please show me where I said they are refusing to answer e-mails. I said:

"The fact is, I've had difficulty getting a response from them via e-mail (especially for something as simple as order status), and from a customer service perspective, I do believe that to be a legitimate issue."

Where it can be confusing, I suppose, is the sentence before that where I say:

"To the extent I have had dealings with businesses that refuse to answer my e-mails..."

which may appear to suggest that LaRue is "refusing" to answer my e-mail. That is not the assertion I made, however, as can be seen from the sentence immediately following. Of course, from the customer's perspective, when the delay is long enough and enough e-mails go unanswered, it may become reasonable to draw a conclusion that it is a "refusal" to answer. But I have not reached that point yet, and because I have not, I remain willing to do business with them (as opposed to companies who have "refused" to answer and with which I have discontinued any further contact).

Perhaps I can simplify this: For example, on a review site, 9 users give a product a 5 star review, while one person gives the same product a 3 star review. So long as there was a good reason for the 3 star review, that the other 9 users gave a 5 star review, does not mean the one 3 star review is illegitimate. To argue otherwise is simple logical fallacy. Ultimately, it means the product gets 4.8 stars instead of a perfect 5, which by any metric, is a win for the company producing said product. I presume this is the point you're ultimately trying to make, but it could have been made without impugning the character of another Calgunner. Certain conclusions can be drawn from circumstances such as this, but that's neither here nor there. Again, I'm uncertain why the personal attacks are necessary, as I attempted to post about my issue as respectfully as possible.

sreiter
02-24-2010, 7:32 PM
Samsdx -

You are afforded a lunch break, arent you?
Since LaRue is 2 hours ahead of us, can you call before you go to work?

SamsDX
02-25-2010, 12:16 AM
You are afforded a lunch break, arent you?

At this point, this issue is moot. I canceled the order. That I get to work around 6:30, or that I did not get a chance to take even a quick snack break until 3:00 or so for the last several days, is probably beside the point. Nevertheless, how my unsatisfactory experience with e-mail customer service would be cured by calling in is beyond me. While the underlying question may get answered, it doesn't change the fact that I waited almost three whole days for a reply on something so simple as the status of an order.