PDA

View Full Version : Inherited an off-roster handgun, now what?

marin1911
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I've got this "friend"....who inherited an off-roster handgun from his father who brought it with him from AZ. It has never been registered in CA. In fact, I don't think it was ever registered to him at all because he bought it from a private party in AZ and they don't require an FFL in AZ for private party sales. So what does "my friend" do about it? "He" doesn't plan on selling the gun so do you just say no harm no foul or is there some way to straighten this out?

dantodd
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Assuming the handgun isn't an Assault Weapon he just sends in THIS (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form to the CADOJ along with $19.

The registration status of the weapon before he inherited it is irrelevant.

Maestro Pistolero
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
First of all, when you put "friend" in quotes, twice, you might as well speak in first person, as it won't offer you any legal protection.

My375hp302
02-02-2010, 8:11 AM
I thought your "friend" had owned that gun for years and years ...... you know .... before they were required to be registered in CA. "wink wink"

tuolumnejim
02-02-2010, 8:56 AM
I've got a small Mauser HSC that I traded a generator for way back. All we did was swap, but then again this was before all these asinine and illegal laws. :cool:

Cokebottle
02-02-2010, 9:04 AM
I thought your "friend" had owned that gun for years and years ...... you know .... before they were required to be registered in CA. "wink wink"
Doesn't matter.

The sins of the father do not become the liability of the son.

Executing a legal transfer today is all that is needed. The DOJ simply wants them registered now... they don't care that it wasn't registered when imported.