PDA

View Full Version : verify a chrome lined barrel - how to?

glock_this
01-09-2006, 10:43 AM
so, in the process of my build, I was wondering how you actualy verify if you have a chromed lined barrel? my buddies, and the place I bought from, said it is hard to verify, so I was wondering how you can?

BigAL
01-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Other than seeing how shiney the bore is you can often see the chrome by looking into the chamber or you will see a ring of chrome around the muzzle crown where the flash suppressor normalls screws onto. The chrome in these locations will look dull grey, not bright and shiney.

delloro
01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
if it's a colt, FN or bushy barrel it will be marked with C MP for chrome lined, Mag Particle inspected.

what brand are you interested in?

glock_this
01-09-2006, 11:50 AM
if it's a colt, FN or bushy barrel it will be marked with C MP for chrome lined, Mag Particle inspected.

what brand are you interested in?

Have an RRA

BigAL
01-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Always thought the "C" in C MP stood for Colt since Bushmaster stamps barrels "B" for B MP. Colt also stamps bolts "MPC" and i've even seen "MPD" for Diemaco (aka Colt Canada).

bwiese
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Always thought the "C" in C MP stood for Colt since Bushmaster stamps barrels "B" for B MP. Colt also stamps bolts "MPC" and i've even seen "MPD" for Diemaco (aka Colt Canada).

Yes, I believe C = Colt too.

I have some chromed barrels (Colt? BM?) that also have the text "CHROME" on them. I have some (Colt, BM) that do not.

Since there's often muzzle devices that may be well-affixed it's best to look at the chamber with a bit of a diffused flashlight (i.e., not shined directly on to chamber).

The best color I can ascribe to a chrome-lined chamber is a medium-dull grey metallic color that's not shiny - the tone/color of a well-used nickel would be a close approximation.

delloro
01-09-2006, 1:39 PM
well, for the purposes of my post, then maybe C stands for "crap." as in "Oh, crap, what a maroon"!!

when I see a chrome chamber, it looks like smooth aluminun apray paint to me.

shopkeep
01-09-2006, 1:42 PM
Why not just use a chamber light and then look on into the barrel and see if it's all nice and shiny. If it is, then it's chrome.

Rascal
01-09-2006, 2:15 PM
Not quite, my Yugo's bore is nice and shiny, but it's not chrome.

rkt88edmo
01-09-2006, 9:57 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself :)

That's Ted's way of letting you know that you aren't a gudelhead...yet :p

The easiest way for me is by looking at the crown of the barrel also. Buy from a reputable manufacturer/dealer for the peace of mind.

saki302
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
If it's chrome lined, you'll see a grayish-silver bleedover of the lining at the muzzle, and usually at the chamber as well- all my chrome lined SKS's have this.

It should be very obvious with one glance if you know what to look for. A flash hider/brake may obscure the muzzle a bit, so you might have to look from the chamber end.

-Dave

glock_this
01-10-2006, 6:06 AM
I received this email from RRA:

"There should be a part number on the barrel near the barrel nut. What is that number?"

so, it seems you can verify RRA with a # if you do not know what you are looking for (which is me), but do you have to take the hand-guards off to get to the barrel nut or is there more to remove than just the hand-guard to see "near the barrel nut".

edbon9
01-10-2006, 8:52 AM
I received this email from RRA:
t or is there more to remove than just the hand-guard to see "near the barrel nut".

only if you have a male barrel :)

j/k... handguards are all you need to remove.

glock_this
01-10-2006, 8:59 AM
I found it (#204 stamped) under the gas tube (top handguard) about 1" in front of the barrel nut. this confirms it is chrome lined via RRA.