PDA

View Full Version : So I just moved across the street from a school...

bigj0hn
02-01-2010, 8:44 PM
...now what? Does this present a problem for me as a gun owner?

dantodd
02-01-2010, 8:49 PM
IF you park in a place with public access (e.g. on the street or in a shared parking lot or possibly in a driveway where the yard isn't fenced) you will need to have your firearms in locked containers to transport them from your house to your vehicle. If you live in a house with an attached garage and park in the garage it is business as usual.

Trench Broom
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
You could host a build party. :D

madmike
02-02-2010, 1:58 PM
I also just moved in next to a school, and I didn't even think about this for a second until I saw this thread. It won't be a problem for me, as I always lock all of my containers when I leave the house with a firearm, but now I will be extra conscious of the need to lock up.

-madmike.

Dark Paladin
02-02-2010, 3:19 PM
Along the same vein. . . hypothetically if I have an attached garage, but leave the garage door open for ventilation while I'm working on guns in the garage. . . problems? Cars are parked in the driveway blocking view from the outside, just to clarify the situation.

pitchbaby
02-02-2010, 3:27 PM
I might wonder that if you have a CCW permit and park your car on the street... are you breaking the law by just getting into your car? Anybody know an official answer? Is it as Dantodd described.... even if you have CCW and are walking off your own property into your own car?

dantodd
02-02-2010, 3:47 PM
I might wonder that if you have a CCW permit and park your car on the street... are you breaking the law by just getting into your car? Anybody know an official answer? Is it as Dantodd described.... even if you have CCW and are walking off your own property into your own car?

CCW holders are exempt from CA GFSZ for their CCW firearm only.

ETA:
CPC 626.9(l)
... a person holding a valid license to carry the
firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4...

GrizzlyGuy
02-02-2010, 3:51 PM
Along the same vein. . . hypothetically if I have an attached garage, but leave the garage door open for ventilation while I'm working on guns in the garage. . . problems? Cars are parked in the driveway blocking view from the outside, just to clarify the situation.

No problem, both the state and federal Gun Free School Zone laws (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones) exempt private property.

ptoguy2002
02-02-2010, 6:27 PM
No problem, both the state and federal Gun Free School Zone laws (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones) exempt private property.

Tell that to Theseus.

lorax3
02-02-2010, 6:41 PM
Tell that to Theseus.

In this case he was referring to carrying within your home. Not 'private property' that is open to the public as in the case of Thesues.

bigj0hn
02-03-2010, 8:36 AM
I am really glad I asked this. I was cleaning my wifes 10/22 and my dad came over saying he read somewhere the laws were totally different if you lived X distance from a school. I told him that I knew just the place to find out.
What is the verdict on having the garage door open? I am working on a bench not waving it around. I just don't really like the smell of breakfree.

dantodd
02-03-2010, 8:49 AM
It shouldn't be a problem. The issue can come up if you in an unfenced yard upon which you cannot effectively restrict access. I would think that you can sufficiently restrict access garage for it to be legal.

abusalim81
02-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Handguns in locked container when walking to your car but the rifles are business as usual... Am I wrong?