PDA

View Full Version : Frozen bolt on a Mini-14?

landser1102
02-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Anybody ever had their Mini-14's bolt froze up on them? I have a NRA edition Mini-14 and I realize the bolt got frozen up after I store it for around 3 to 4 months?

The bolt was so lock up that I have to tap it hard with an object in order for me to open it. It happened to me twice already.. I know once a while you should take the rilfe out to clean it and lube it, but sometimes it just didn't happen. And if you don't the bolt will lock up? It happened to me twice already, anybody ever had this happens to them?

AJAX22
02-01-2010, 8:28 PM
I had one freeze up... but it was after it spent 10 years on the bottom of a lake...

never seen one lock up from 4 months..

lube it better... and shot it more to break it in.

jlmurphy
02-01-2010, 8:29 PM
I doubt that it was the bolt, the operating rod has a tube that slides over a gas piston beneath the barrel that could easily become frozen with powder residue and moisture. Try storing it with the bolt locked open.

sevensix2x51
02-01-2010, 8:49 PM
if it locks up, just put the buttstock on the ground, and kick the crap out of the operating handle. itll free right up, then work just fine after that. it's a mini, you dont have to baby it! :thumbsup:

ErikTheRed
02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Spray it down with about a gallon of WD-40, throw it off the roof of your house out into the street, and roll over it a few times with your truck. Its a Mini-14--- it'll thank you for the invigorating therapy.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I have never had one freeze up on me. Blued or stainless. They are the older model, to be sure. But I have had the one for nearly 20 years and never had an issue with it.

bohoki
02-02-2010, 1:09 AM
I doubt that it was the bolt, the operating rod has a tube that slides over a gas piston beneath the barrel that could easily become frozen with powder residue and moisture. Try storing it with the bolt locked open.

yup my new method saves me from having to do a major cleanin between trips

maxwellca21
02-02-2010, 3:32 AM
Spray it down with about a gallon of WD-40, throw it off the roof of your house out into the street, and roll over it a few times with your truck. Its a Mini-14--- it'll thank you for the invigorating therapy.

yeah do exactly what he said then come back and thank him!

gotgunz
02-02-2010, 3:59 AM

LOL!

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
02-02-2010, 7:03 AM

ROFL!

Having a steam roller drive over it helps to align the sights too!

:)

dfletcher
02-02-2010, 8:23 AM
Anybody ever had their Mini-14's bolt froze up on them? I have a NRA edition Mini-14 and I realize the bolt got frozen up after I store it for around 3 to 4 months?

The bolt was so lock up that I have to tap it hard with an object in order for me to open it. It happened to me twice already.. I know once a while you should take the rilfe out to clean it and lube it, but sometimes it just didn't happen. And if you don't the bolt will lock up? It happened to me twice already, anybody ever had this happens to them?

I fired alot of rounds through mine once, tossed it in a corner of the gun room and forgot about it. Had a similar experience as yours. Problem is not with the bolt but where the op rod meets the gas piston. Crud builds up then dries up and freezes the parts together. WD works fine, spray it a bit where the parts meet, wait a bit and give the bolt handle a rap or two.

Sinestr
02-02-2010, 8:29 AM
Happened once with my Mini 30 after shooting some nasty corrosive surplus. Neglected to clean it for about a month.

buffybuster
02-02-2010, 8:35 AM
Did you shoot corrosive primed ammunition through it? If so, it could cause rust/corrosion at the gas piston and op-rod.

landser1102
02-02-2010, 7:25 PM

I always heard that Calgunners are crazy, now I know that it's true... LOL
I never thought about babying my mini, I just find it strange that the bolt would lock up like that. Thanks for the replies guys!

El Gato
02-02-2010, 8:37 PM
if it locks up, just put the buttstock on the ground, and kick the crap out of the operating handle. itll free right up, then work just fine after that. it's a mini, you dont have to baby it! :thumbsup:

+1
then take it out of the stock and clean and lube...

El Gato
02-02-2010, 8:40 PM
ROFL!

Having a steam roller drive over it helps to align the sights too!

:)

Nope... their too tough...
I always just let the luggage handlers at LAX adjust them for me...steamrollers are for sissies....