PDA

View Full Version : Stripped vs. completed lower

eljBRD
02-01-2010, 7:05 PM
I'm 20 years old...can I buy a completed lower with an A2 stock to build a rifle, or is it still a no-no?

pyro3k2
02-01-2010, 7:12 PM
you can do it, but I found it much easier to buy a stripped lower, and if you are on a budget you can get one nice part at a time and end up with a bad *** lower, given time to save for those parts. But to buy a complete lower you may have to check with the company to see if they will even ship a complete lower to CA first and if you have to supply a BB or MMG. Building a stipped lower correctly is acutually alot easier than it sounds and don't be affraid of a little wrench time on your gun :)

shark92651
02-01-2010, 7:12 PM
yes, a completed lower with stock will be DROSed as a long gun, which you can get at 18 years old.

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 7:17 PM
I talked to guys at Ammo Bros off the 15 and Jurupa in Ontario and they said there are no restrictions on stripped lowers unless they are marked as pistols. I remember reading on here that stripped lowers are 21+ and brought it up to them. So is there a definite yes or no to stripped lowers being 21+ or is it just a rumor?

Josh3239
02-01-2010, 7:30 PM
The new federal form requires that you either choose pistol, rifle or other. A stripped lower or frame falls under the other category. Everyone who buys a firearm must be 21+ unless you are buying a rifle which is 18+. So yes, stripped lowers are 21+ and rifles (lower receiver with buttstock)are 18+.

qtmac_mien
02-01-2010, 7:31 PM
my buddy was 20yrs old when he tried buying a stripper lower at our local gun shop and they wouldn't let him so he had to let his dad buy it for him and transfer it to him when he turns 21

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 7:32 PM
So if I had purchased the lower through them would I get into any trouble or with it be them that has to deal with the fall out?

shark92651
02-01-2010, 7:35 PM
The Federal 4473 form has "receiver" as a separate category now and it clearly states you must be 21 to purchase, same as handguns. The California DROS system has two categories, handgun and long gun, with no provision to DROS a receiver as a separate category. So basically the dealer will be creating a discrepancy between what is on the federal paperwork and what is on the California DROS system when they sell a stripped receiver. I'm going by what my ATF agent told me, which is to record it as a "receiver" and not to sell it to anyone under 21 years of age.

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 7:44 PM
Well that sucks.

Its a good thing the government is making all these laws because us law abiders are the ones they have to worry about on a daily basis. It would be a war zone if we were allowed to enjoy our rights.

qtmac_mien
02-01-2010, 7:55 PM
my buddy got pulled over by CHP and they took his AR away since his name wasnt on the rifle and them him and his dad had to go pick up the rifle at the station the next day

KING_PALM
02-01-2010, 8:00 PM
just turner 21 and bought my first stripped lower.

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 8:02 PM
Well I turn 20 this April so I still have a ways to go. I guess I can build a bolt rifle for now.

KING_PALM
02-01-2010, 8:16 PM
Well I turn 20 this April so I still have a ways to go. I guess I can build a bolt rifle for now.

what i would do is have your mother or father dros the stripped lower in their name and when you get enough parts on it for it to be considered a long rifle you can do a interfamily transfer it. Plus you dont need to wait 10 days to get it out of jail and you only spend 19 bucks.
one-two months later and you get a sweet paper saying its in your name.

i think you might actually be able to do a interfamily with a stripped lower.
does any one else know if you can or can not?

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 8:18 PM
I'll have to look up more about the intrafamily transfer but a guy I work with had a mini14 transferred to him by his parents and he had to wait 10 days.

muritku
02-01-2010, 8:25 PM

you can still buy the complete lower with butt stock/PG ect... if you would like too. But you just CANNOT buy a strip lower cause your under 21. :)

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 8:30 PM
I was looking at the post about the JD Machine receivers and really like them. I would want one if I can find it with a LPK and stock.

muritku
02-01-2010, 8:38 PM
yeah they are nice. Riflegear got good deals on them too. maybe you can ask them if they can sell you a complete lower. it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

cmth
02-01-2010, 8:56 PM
my buddy got pulled over by CHP and they took his AR away since his name wasnt on the rifle and them him and his dad had to go pick up the rifle at the station the next day

Could you expand on this? Specifically about "his name wasn't on the rifle"? Nobody has their "name" on any rifle except for registered AWs. Did the CHPs think he had an unregistered AW?

KING_PALM
02-01-2010, 9:23 PM
I'll have to look up more about the intrafamily transfer but a guy I work with had a mini14 transferred to him by his parents and he had to wait 10 days.

with interfamily transfers you send 19 dollars to the DOJ with a form filled out and there is no wait. i did one with my sig p220
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

and i stapled a copy of my HSC to it. ( got it when i was 18 ) then sent it in. and got a paper stating that the handgun was now in my name

technically you do not need to report the transfer between family members with long rifles.

get your old man to get you a lower and do a Interfamily transfer on it!

Bhobbs
02-01-2010, 9:29 PM
That's probably how I'll go.

Now I just need the money, of course.

NiteQwill
02-01-2010, 9:36 PM
If this story is even remotely true, I suggest contacting the right folks on this forum.

Long arms are not registered, nor do they come up in any "system" should a LEO run the serial number. This only applies to RAWs and handguns after 1991.