PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you get and Why?

gregr266
02-01-2010, 6:44 PM
Looking for a new upper for my second build. Just wondering which one you would get and why. If you have any of them how do you like. I would like to make it my "tack driver" so to speak. What about white oak armament?

RawImpact
02-01-2010, 7:05 PM
I am by no means an expert, in fact i am on the same boat as you. But from research and a lot of asking, i will most likely be going with the 6H stag. Not only is it one of the more affordable ones listed (~600), but it also uses a Wilson barrel. Unfortunately it is only in a 1:8 twist which is good for multiple weights, but 1:7 is the target for 223. I know that the RRA Varminter uses the same barrel and are pretty much the same.

Velocity does not make a difference from 20''-24'' but there is still a lot of argument on this, so take that how you want. For bench-rest, i would definitely go with the bull barrels though. The 0.92'' diameter is really nice on the Wilson barrel, but it also makes it heavy. I also hear good things about the 6.5 grendell for long distance, but i can't afford the rounds. This might be a better option for you if you're truly looking for a "tack driver"

Hope this helps, let me know what you go with!

-RawImpact

pyro3k2
02-01-2010, 7:15 PM
I personally would go witht he stag and use the money you saved on ammo or a nice scope. I have a 20" bushmaster upper and it shoots very nicely, a buddy of mine has the stag and it shoots just as good if not better than mine(when I shoot it).

swerv512
02-01-2010, 7:20 PM
never had any complaint with any RRA uppers- especially the varmint model. shot one (20") and it was almost as accrit as my bolt gun at 100yds.

aplinker
02-01-2010, 7:46 PM
How heavy do you want the rifle to be?

The 24" bull barrels will make the rifle extremely heavy... they're beasts.

Personally, I would go with something along the lines of the NM-style barrels used for highpower. WOA would be an excellent choice. The RRA Pred Pursuit is similar, too.

BigBamBoo
02-01-2010, 7:59 PM

RawImpact
02-01-2010, 8:04 PM
wow... amazing shooting there stan.

Jpach
02-01-2010, 8:44 PM
I say go with the Bushy, but only because thats the one I have. Its the fluted CM one like the 20" but mine is 24". Shoots groups just like Stans with 62gr American Eagle soft point (and no bipod w/ 4x scope). It IS 1-9 twist though. So consider what bullets you will be using prior to making the decision