PDA

View Full Version : Will we get to see Mcdonald v Chicago?

cbn620
02-01-2010, 4:35 PM
I remember parts of Heller were on CSPAN. Anyone know if this will happen? I also remember the entire thing was online. Would love to know how/when us who can't be there will get to hear/see what transpires.

Thanks.

ke6guj
02-01-2010, 5:55 PM
I doubt you "saw" any of Heller on CSPAN, you may have "heard" Heller on CSPAN. There are no cameras allowed in the USSC. They do allow for an audio recording, which should hopefully be avialable the same day as the McDonald orals.

loather
02-01-2010, 6:14 PM
:popcorn: /me waits with bated breath

yellowfin
02-01-2010, 6:18 PM
Is there any update on the Palmer audio or transcripts?

hoffmang
02-01-2010, 6:30 PM
I expect that McDonald will have the C-Span audio replay just like Heller.

There is no audio of Palmer. Transcripts are expensive but I will likely look into it.

-Gene

yellowfin
02-01-2010, 6:41 PM
Transcripts are expensive? Why? Aren't federal courts open public knowledge?

ke6guj
02-01-2010, 6:49 PM
Aren't federal courts open public knowledge?yup, and you are free to sit in and listen, space permitting.

Transcripts are expensive? Why?why does PACER charge for online access?

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 6:53 PM
I doubt you will see any SCOTUS case on TV in the next 40 years.

I'll definitely be on here looking for updates from people who are there.

RGERBER
02-01-2010, 6:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/06/supreme.court.tv/index.html

hoffmang
02-01-2010, 8:07 PM
Transcripts are expensive?

Oral arguments aren't "on the record" like a trial. As I'm thinking about it, there may not even be a way to get a transcript of the argument after the fact. If there was, you'd be paying for the transcriptionists time.

-Gene

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 8:13 PM
Oral arguments aren't "on the record" like a trial. As I'm thinking about it, there may not even be a way to get a transcript of the argument after the fact. If there was, you'd be paying for the transcriptionists time.

-Gene

You mean you're not going to be writing every word said down?

wilit
02-01-2010, 8:20 PM
I doubt you will see any SCOTUS case on TV in the next 40 years.

So much for transparency in government... Guess some traditions are just too hard to break.

Chk Chk Boom
02-01-2010, 8:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/06/supreme.court.tv/index.html

2007?
How's it relevant? :confused:

huggybear
02-01-2010, 8:21 PM
how long do cases like these actually last?
like how many days will the court here this case and out of that how many hours a day will the court listen?

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 8:22 PM
like how many days will the court here this case and out of that how many hours a day will the court listen?

lol its 30 minutes.

huggybear
02-01-2010, 8:23 PM
lol its 30 minutes.

wait, r u serious?

dantodd
02-01-2010, 8:24 PM

One day, approximately one hour though if I recall properly Heller ran over to about 90 minutes. With NRA getting part of Gura's time it is possible to see 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Then they move on to the next case or adjournment. Everyone here starts conjecture based on the questions each justice asks and statements they make. We hear zero from the court until they publish their opinion could be a couple week bur more likely 2 or 3 months later.

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 8:24 PM
wait, r u serious?

Yep, they may spend longer reading the briefs, but oral is 30 (total or each side, dont remember)

dantodd
02-01-2010, 8:25 PM
Yes seriously. That is why the briefs are so critical and are being dissected.

huggybear
02-01-2010, 8:26 PM
One day, approximately one hour though if I recall properly Heller ran over to about 90 minutes. With NRA getting part of Gura's time it is possible to see 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Then they move on to the next case or adjournment. Everyone here starts conjecture based on the questions each justice asks and statements they make. We hear zero from the court until they publish their opinion could be a couple week bur more likely 2 or 3 months later.

so its an average of like 30 mins for each side?

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 8:29 PM
so its an average of like 30 mins for each side?

Just looked it up (knew those books would come of use eventually)

Yes.. 30 each side.

huggybear
02-01-2010, 8:31 PM
so the briefs are read by the justices before the case, they hear the case and then they make the decision?

PolishMike
02-01-2010, 8:31 PM
so the briefs are read by the justices before the case, they hear the case and then they make the decision?

Yep, decision comes out a couple months later.

CaliforniaLiberal
02-01-2010, 9:57 PM
The justices have months to read the written briefs, and just schedule a little time for the parties to present their verbal arguments. The Justices interrupt the attorneys and each other with questions, and more questions and they just stretch the time out as long as they want to ask questions. Seems like the Heller audio recording was almost two hours IIRC.

Then everyone tries to read what each justice is thinking by their expressions and tones of voice and what questions they ask. The Justices discuss the case in private and argue and try and convince each other and then some of them write an opinion and whichever opinion gets the most to sign on wins. Until the decision is handed down speculation runs wild, despair and crazy optimism. Days pass. Grass grows, babies take their first steps, and then suddenly the decision is here! Heller arguments were heard in February (March?) and the decision was released at the very end of the term the last week of June. That three months lasted a couple of years in CalGuns forum time.

And then everyone spends days reading the opinions and all the experts in the media and online argue over what it means and predictions are made about how this affects future court cases. Our Gene Hoffman gives us great explanations and we all celebrate and buy new t-shirts. Years go by as more cases are tried, more appeals are decided and with any luck we tear down the horrible, evil California gun laws one by one, case by case and tell our grandchildren about it.

We've got the guns and lawyers, send money. Donate to CalGuns.

huggybear
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
The justices have months to read the written briefs, and just schedule a little time for the parties to present their verbal arguments. The Justices interrupt the attorneys and each other with questions, and more questions and they just stretch the time out as long as they want to ask questions. Seems like the Heller audio recording was almost two hours IIRC.

Then everyone tries to read what each justice is thinking by their expressions and tones of voice and what questions they ask. The Justices discuss the case in private and argue and try and convince each other and then some of them write an opinion and whichever opinion gets the most to sign on wins. Until the decision is handed down speculation runs wild, despair and crazy optimism. Days pass. Grass grows, babies take their first steps, and then suddenly the decision is here! Heller arguments were heard in February (March?) and the decision was released at the very end of the term the last week of June. That three months lasted a couple of years in CalGuns forum time.

And then everyone spends days reading the opinions and all the experts in the media and online argue over what it means and predictions are made about how this affects future court cases. Our Gene Hoffman gives us great explanations and we all celebrate and buy new t-shirts. Years go by as more cases are tried, more appeals are decided and with any luck we tear down the horrible, evil California gun laws one by one, case by case and tell our grandchildren about it.

where can i find the audio for the Heller case, i would like to hear what a supreme court case sounds like.

7x57
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Days pass. Grass grows, babies take their first steps, and then suddenly the decision is here!

In my case this is likely to be literally true, as I have a ten-month old who just started to crawl. :D

7x57

ke6guj
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
2007?
How's it relevant? :confused:

its relevant since it talks about how the USSC does not televise procedings, and that the justices are opposed to it. Nothing has really changed since then. One could put out a new report with a 2010 date on it and it would basically be the same.

CaliforniaLiberal
02-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Heller Case Audio:

http://cdn3.libsyn.com/guntalk/HellerComp.mp3?nvb=20100202071426&nva=20100203072426&t=0efe7cf64319c47339e24

I Googled 'Heller Audio'

I've learned a heck of a lot about constitutional law hanging out at CalGuns the last couple of years and I can't claim to fully understand more than half or maybe two-thirds of what they're talking about.

But it is the sound of history being made.

dantodd
02-01-2010, 10:30 PM
In my case this is likely to be literally true, as I have a ten-month old who just started to crawl. :D

7x57

Congrats! Our 3rd is due in March. I hope she's not walking before McDonald is decided.

7x57
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I've learned a heck of a lot about constitutional law hanging out at CalGuns the last couple of years

Keep that up and you'll end up having to change your screen name. :D

7x57

7x57
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Congrats! Out 3rd is due in March. I hope she's not walking before McDonald is decided.

I was born within maybe a year of the GCA, so all my life we have been losing a long slow war. I am pleased that my boys' birth dates are in the vicinity of Heller and (we hope) its fruitful children. I want the other side to be losing for their lifetime.

7x57

dantodd
02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I was born within maybe a year of the GCA, so all my life we have been losing a long slow war. I am pleased that my boys' birth dates are in the vicinity of Heller and (we hope) its fruitful children. I want the other side to be losing for their lifetime.

7x57

My second was born about a year before Heller and now our 3rd just before McDonald. I do hope the battle continues to lead toward a freer nation for my kids.

Maestro Pistolero
02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

I want the audio for that summation.;)

7x57
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
My second was born about a year before Heller and now our 3rd just before McDonald. I do hope the battle continues to lead toward a freer nation for my kids.

They have to. That's why I have repeatedly said I'll trade current rights for sufficiently improved strategic position.

A week or two ago my five-year-old told me I should carry the .45 with me when we leave the house, to the effect that we could be safe everywhere. My wife thinks I might have overdone the culture thing a bit, but I don't care. :thumbsup:

7x57

bulgron
02-02-2010, 12:15 AM
A week or two ago my five-year-old told me I should carry the .45 with me when we leave the house, to the effect that we could be safe everywhere. My wife thinks I might have overdone the culture thing a bit, but I don't care. :thumbsup:

7x57

Heh. That reminds me of the time my daughter (then about 6) told the family that she sure was glad Daddy had guns so we could all be safe. My wife gave me a long-suffering look over the dinner table, but even so I was one proud Papa.

dantodd
02-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Heh. That reminds me of the time my daughter (then about 6) told the family that she sure was glad Daddy had guns so we could all be safe. My wife gave me a long-suffering look over the dinner table, but even so I was one proud Papa.

heh. My wife was singing a hunting song/game with our 2 year old today.

5 little animals hiding in the forest
Teasing mister hunter, "can't catch me"
Along comes mister hunter, quiet as can be
BANG
4 little animals......