View Full Version : YHM Diamond Fluted 20" barrel vs DPMS 20" Fluted Bull Barrel

02-01-2010, 1:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out if there are any benefits or drawbacks to diamond pattern fluting as opposed to regular fluting. The two barrels I'm thinking about are the YHM 20" Diamond-Fluted barrel or the DPMS 20" Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel. Any information or opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

02-01-2010, 2:15 PM
This is what I mean by diamond-fluted if you need a picture

02-01-2010, 2:56 PM
Me thinks there isn't enough metal taken off on the diamond fluting to make a difference.

I have full length fluting on 2 of my Heavy barreled Varmint gas guns. In that case. it makes a real difference.

02-01-2010, 3:21 PM
I don't see any negative effects of the diamond fluting on the YHM barrel but then again I don't see much benefit to it either. The fluting before the gas block is where it will have more impact. This is where most of the heat is generated in the barrel. Yes, the fluting after the gas block on the YHM may provide some additional cooling but I don't think it would be enough to be noticable. I think either barrel will do. I am not saying I have not had a barrel fluted after the gas block but the last time I did was strictly for style purposes. It was also fluted behind the gas block which could not readily be seen.

02-01-2010, 3:21 PM
The diamond fluted barrels may look like they weight a ton but they are surpisingly light.

02-01-2010, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll end up going with the traditional fluting with the DPMS. I'm sure both are quality barrels though.

02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I have a YHM diamond upper an it is so far fine. Only reason I got it was a smoking deal at a gun show. I don't see it making any difference cooling wise though. My Bushmaster full flute cools much better.

02-02-2010, 9:10 PM
I bought a DPMS 20" Fluted Stainless upper in .223 new at the Big REno GUnshow about 5 years ago. Great barrel. Using Black Hills Gold ammo, I am able to get three shots right about the size of a dime. Can't say enough about it! I have it mounted on a BUshmaster lower. Great gun.