PDA

View Full Version : Socom II

K_Labs
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't know much about the two guns but a socom II (m14?) at the show this weekend. The M14 is semi auto mag fed. So my question is.... How is it possible to make the socom II california legal? Is there a mag lock, bb, or is it fixed mag or is there something else that they do to it?

PaperPuncher
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Already legal. It does not have some of the other evil features that make a detachable mag illegal. If you take a look on the home page you will find a flowchart that will lead you through the process of determining if a rifle is california legal or not. Very helpful piece of info. I am sure someone will link you to it in no time.

MasterYong
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I know there are some SAI M1As made with flash hiders, but all the models I've seen in CA (SOCOM II included) have a muzzle brake.

Best as I can tell, even if you did happen across a SOCOM II with a FH on say, gunbroker, you should be able to remove the FH to make it CA-compliant. Just have the seller take it off, and include the loose part in the sale, then put a muzzle brake on it when you get it in CA.

Lancear15
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Calguns search (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk) the word featureless.

And bookmark that custom search for your next 20 questions. ;)

X-NewYawker
02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
It has NO PISTOL GRIP. so it is LEGAL:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/manshootsSOCOMLR.jpg

(JAE stock and with CA legal MB)

K_Labs
02-01-2010, 1:31 PM
It has NO PISTOL GRIP. so it is LEGAL

Ty for the info.... How stupid of me to forget that.

The DRis
02-01-2010, 1:33 PM
Yeah. I love my socom II. The one complaint is how fat the front sight blade is. But that could be changed out or a scope put on. If your looking at them order the one with the full length rail. It's hard to mount optics oterwise. I'm looking at anoption but haven't bought the part yet, nor so I have the cash for the nightforce scope I want to put on it to test the mount. I can provide the link later if you want to the part. I'm on my iPhone right now.

HappyG
02-01-2010, 1:55 PM
And the fact that it weighs a ton..but great rifle to shoot. Just not to carry for too long.

aplinker
02-01-2010, 5:15 PM
Ty for the info.... How stupid of me to forget that.

The M1A is a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle, so it's not just the pistol grip, but any of these that would make it an illegal AW:
# Flash Suppressor
# Forward Pistol Grip
# Flare/Grenade Launcher
# Pistol Grip
# Collapsible Stock
# Thumbhole Stock

It has none of those, therefore it's legal. Make sense? (I know the laws "don't make sense" as in they shouldn't exist, but the logic of following them can.)

By the way, I would skip the rail system on the SOCOM II. It's unnecessary. The Scout is also the better of the two rifles, and is only a couple inches more in length.

ZombieKiller
02-01-2010, 5:29 PM
It has NO PISTOL GRIP. so it is LEGAL:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/manshootsSOCOMLR.jpg

(JAE stock and with CA legal MB)

That rifle must weigh about 18 pounds....

Sheepdog1968
02-01-2010, 5:42 PM
M1As rock. Especially in CA. FWIW, Mini-14s and Mini-30s have the same benefits as the M1A when it comes to the flow chart allbeit with smaller cartridges.

aplinker
02-01-2010, 6:02 PM
M1As rock. Especially in CA. FWIW, Mini-14s and Mini-30s have the same benefits as the M1A when it comes to the flow chart allbeit with smaller cartridges.

As do featureless ARs, Saigas, gripless AKs, etc. etc. etc.

HappyG
02-01-2010, 7:05 PM
But M1A's and the mini series are plain ol easy to get without having some gun store worker go commando on you.

X-NewYawker
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
But M1A's and the mini series are plain ol easy to get without having some gun store worker go commando on you.

AND changing your rifle's ergonomics. MMG on an AR does not feel as good as the stock that comes on a mini or an M1a -- and if you have pre-ban hi caps (I have some 30 round M1-As from the day -- the M1A rules.