PDA

View Full Version : Irwin Pedersen - New In Box - Value?

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 7:51 AM
I'm posting this for my father who owns an M1 Carbine Irwin Pedersen that is new in the box and never fired. It is covered in the protective "goo" that has gummed things up.

I see this is the most collectible M1 Carbine but wanted an idea of the value before he puts it up for sale.

Thanks.

Milsurp Collector
02-01-2010, 9:42 AM
"...new in the box and never fired."

No such thing. M1 Carbines were not originally shipped in boxes (they were shipped in wooden crates), and at a minimum were fired at the factory for proof firing and to zero the sights.

What is more likely is that he has a carbine that was sold in the early 1960s through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) to qualified NRA members for $17.50 + $2.50 shipping. Now those carbines were shipped in boxes, but they aren't "new" because they had gone through one or more arsenal rebuilds after possible service in World War II and Korea. So maybe in a box, but not "new" or "never fired". ;)

It is impossible to accurately estimate the value of any firearm without pictures, but assuming it is a DCM Irwin-Pedersen in the box it is worth at least 50x the $20 originally paid.

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks Milsurp.

I thought that somebody call me out on the "new in the box". Your right it came in a cardboard box and probably had been fired before being shipped. Otherwise it seems to not been used. The firing pin is not shinny, the rod in the spring that actuates the piston is not shiny. ( forgot the name ).

We can find no signs of any wear at all on it. Furthermore it has the waxy grease covering all the pieces which prevents the piston from moving, the centerpin from moving freely, and the pin that holds the trigger assembly from moving. The gun won't operate properly without cleaning all this waxy coating off.

Here are some pictures, attached. Thanks for your help.

Blood Ocean
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd be careful selling that without having it appraised. I own a ton of CMP rifles and with original paperwork they bring a premium. I've seen IP carbine junk auctioned off for $2K+. If you really want to sell it, have it appraised and auction it off. You'll lose a bit to the auction house but you'll potentially (I guarantee nothing) also get a much bigger audience to bid. Look around for the original invoice, that will make a big difference in the final price.

Josh3239
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
That is a couple thousand. Very cool, I wish I could afford one.

beech bum
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
What year is it, what type of barrel band does it have? It looks to have a late style rear sight on it. I'm by no means an expert but those are a few things I would look at to see if it was in original configuration. Just my .02

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. I believe we have the original paperwork. The suggestion to appraise the gun is a good idea.

I don't have a picture of the clamp, but its bayonette style. Not sure it's any different then the other M1's I've seen.

Here are some more pictures.

Milsurp Collector
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
That carbine has been through an arsenal rebuild where the rear sight was upgraded to a stamped adjustable type, and a Rock-Ola operating slide, Type 3 front band, and a stock from an Inland Div. carbine were fitted. It is very possible it served in World War II and Korea before it was sold through the DCM.

While not as collectible as an "original" unrebuilt carbine, as an Irwin-Pedersen DCM carbine still in cosmoline it is worth a lot. If you want to get the most money for it I would put it on Gunbroker.com with a $1000 opening bid and no reserve. I've seen some crazy prices on there and I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for close to twice the opening bid.

But why sell it??!! Get your Dad to give it to you!

My Dad also got a DCM carbine in 1963 for $20. He cleaned it, put it away, and never fired it until I talked him into finally taking it to the range in 2008.

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Milsurp!

I like the inheritance idea! :) He felt if it's worth over a few thousand it shouldn't be fired and sold to a collector.

If it's only worth a thousand or a little more then he may just keep it.

Thanks for the great information. If I find the any paperwork Ill post it here.

mls343
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
+ 1 on keeping it. Those carbines are gitting a little more difficult to find in as nice condition that you have. Clean it up, buy some ammo, and go shooting!

Good luck!

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
More information!

On Label;

From Commanding Officer Rock Island Arsenal - Rock Island Illinios ( label in box )
Mailing date 10/29/63
Frank C. Powel, Auburn Califorina

REA Shipping Service Rock Island.

#C328276

On Box;

1005-670-7670 Carbine M1 Caliber .30 Serial #178756

Milsurp Collector
02-01-2010, 1:11 PM
The 1963 date confirms that it was probably one of the 240,000 carbines sold by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) to NRA members (for $17.50 + $2.50 shipping) in 1963. It went through a rebuild (probably not for the first time) probably at Rock Island Arsenal and was kept in storage there until it was disposed of by the DCM.

Gunbroker records go back only 90 days, but the highest price for an Irwin-Pedersen sold on Gunbroker in the past 90 days was $2000, but that was for a carbine with mostly original parts/configuration http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147717664

Some people asked unrealistic prices for rebuilt Irwin-Pedersens and got no bids

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=145218362
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149526132

PanteraKid
02-01-2010, 1:17 PM
Thanks again Mil!

I hope we decide to keep it. It would last several lifetimes and be great to pass on from generation to generation!

thefifthspeed
02-01-2010, 1:24 PM
Thanks again Mil!

I hope we decide to keep it. It would last several lifetimes and be great to pass on from generation to generation!

That's what I would do.

But... if you decide to sell it, post up a price here as well. I know many people (including myself) would like to buy up such a nice carbine.

Blood Ocean
02-01-2010, 1:59 PM
Think about what it's going to be worth in 50 more years...keep it and pass to grandchildren with a story (you get to make that part up).

ccandgc
02-01-2010, 2:26 PM
Nice IP! I have one, from CMP auction. I paid A LOT more for mine, similar features and rebuild, serial is in the 177 range.....keep it. Don't sell it. Keep it as a family heirloom.