PDA

View Full Version : corrosive ammo?

SanPedroShooter
02-01-2010, 7:39 AM
any one have any advice about running corrosive fmj yugo 7.62x39 ammo besides dont do it.
i did some research, so im familiar with the basics of why its corrosive and how to clean it. i thought i would solicit some "expert" calguns advice.
its for a wasr 10 btw
thanks

brent

02-01-2010, 7:49 AM
I'm no expert, but there is no myth about corrosive ammo. You just have to clean your rifle after shooting, as soon as possible.

For your AK, make sure you also clean the gas system thoroughly.

SanPedroShooter
02-01-2010, 7:52 AM
thanks for the specific advice

technique
02-01-2010, 7:52 AM
I searched for you using the Calguns Google search...

Search turned up your thread 1st.
Then directly below it was this little gem:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=234501

Exposed
02-01-2010, 7:59 AM
+1 on cleaning the gas system. I have shot corrosive ammo, taken it home, sprayed it with windex, let it sit for 24 hours, came back to check on it and it was just fine. No rust anywhere, however, when I removed my gas tube a couple days later, it had a bunch of surface rust. No harm done. I cleaned it off but learned that I need to spray the WHOLE thing down with windex after a range trip including the gas tube. Other than that, I love yugo surplus ammo, its cheap, non magnetic and more accurate than wolf IMO. Shoot it, have fun and clean your gun with windex or any other ammonia based cleaner as soon as you get back home from the range.

SanPedroShooter
02-01-2010, 8:09 AM
I searched for you using the Calguns Google search...

Search turned up your thread 1st.
Then directly below it was this little gem:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=234501

thanks tech, that quite a cleaning job. im gonna have to practice using the search function... and buy a garden hose lol

Exposed
02-01-2010, 8:17 AM
Nahhh. That cleaning method is way over kill. Ammonia (windex) destroys the corrosive property. I have shot hundreds of rounds through both my AK rifle and AK pistol and none have any rust, save for that little bit in the gas tube I didn't spray right away, but it was only surface rust so it came right off. Just spray the whole thing down with windex (barrel, gas tube, trigger group, bolt) right after the range and you will be good to go. Seriously, people think corrosive ammo is the booggy man. Its all hype my friends.

SanPedroShooter
02-01-2010, 8:21 AM
i get the main points. ammonia on all affected parts... hot water etc.. im pretty religious about cleaning the few guns i own. i actually like cleaning them. i live in metro la and spend more time reading about shooting than actually pulling the trigger. its a shame

technique
02-01-2010, 8:28 AM
If you're out in the middle of no where and have no method of cleaning or getting to your cleaning supplies for a few hours....do what I do.

Piss on it.

It's an AK.

Exposed
02-01-2010, 8:29 AM
I also enjoy cleaning my guns. Its somewhat meditative for me. If you're that way about cleaning also, you should be good to go on your yugo ammo! Enjoy! :)

SanPedroShooter
02-01-2010, 8:33 AM
you know ive heard alot of stories of the cleaning/ and other powers of urine...
cant wait to try it

Exposed
02-01-2010, 8:34 AM
Lol! +1 Tech. Piss is packed with good ammonia for cleaning off corrosive ammo. :)

M1A Rifleman
02-01-2010, 8:35 AM
My advice is don't. You know there is a reason why old guns are rusty and have pitted barrels - and its not that cleaning guns after shooting is a new concept.

That said, Hot soapy water, some say windex, is the trick to remove the salt after firing corrosive. You will need to clean everything and all metal surfaces - such as the bolt, barrel and gas system for an auto. You will also need to check for a few days to see if rust starts - which means you did not get all the residue. You might also try Hoppies #9, as the bottle now says it cleans corrosive priming - which is new.