PDA

View Full Version : Why wouldn't 926A allow me to drive through California with . . .

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 10:55 PM
. . . an ON list, feature-packed AR, or a new 13 round mag that my gun came with, all of which is legally owned in NV, and is legal to possess in OR, WA, or another part of northern NV that would be my final destination?
ETA: And if the journey takes more than a day?

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

dantodd
01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
It would. But don't stop at a range etc. Only Hotels, restaurants and freeway.

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
deleted

dantodd
01-31-2010, 11:16 PM
And if the journey takes more than a day?

Fixed the post to make it more clear.

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Fixed the post to make it more clear.

What's not clear? It was an additional question, but I can add it to the OP, I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

leelaw
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Direct in and through. No stops other than possibly fueling.

dantodd
02-01-2010, 12:08 AM
What's not clear? It was an additional question, but I can add it to the OP, I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

my answer wasn't clear. And as noted in my reply I fixed my post so it was clear that it covered the issue.

Maestro Pistolero
02-01-2010, 1:23 AM
Got it, thanks.

Quiet
02-01-2010, 5:42 AM
From reading/hearing about people traveling through NY & NJ...

18 USC 926A does not stop you from being arrested and your weapons confiscated, it just helps you get off on the charges when you go to court.

So, if you are traveling through CA with prohibited weapons, you should minimize your exposure by traveling directly through CA with minimal stops for fuel/food/restroom/etc.

1JimMarch
02-01-2010, 6:25 AM
18 USC 926A does not stop you from being arrested and your weapons confiscated, it just helps you get off on the charges when you go to court.

It also helps you sue for damages in federal court in your home state.

cineski
02-01-2010, 6:47 AM
Don't break any traffic laws or prepare to possibly be massacred.