PDA

View Full Version : How do you make an adjustable AR gas block.

frigginchi
01-31-2010, 9:05 PM
I want to make an adjustable AR gas block. How do I go about doing it?

Is it as simple as drilling and tapping a hole and putting in a set screw to block the gas going into the gas tube.

So what's the word?

Thanks guys :)

asheron2
01-31-2010, 9:37 PM
maybe like an inline needle valve.

http://www.mzclubhungary.com/Letoltesek/Service/MZETZ125150szerelesi/182.gif

frigginchi
02-01-2010, 8:36 AM
Looks complicated

maybe like an inline needle valve.

http://www.mzclubhungary.com/Letoltesek/Service/MZETZ125150szerelesi/182.gif

bwiese
02-01-2010, 6:23 PM
No 5.56 AR needs an adj. gas block.

You probably have the wrong diameter port drilled in the barrel/at the wrong position.

frigginchi
02-01-2010, 7:00 PM
this is for my AR308 so i can shut off the gas and use my rifle like a bolt action :)

You probably have the wrong diameter port drilled in the barrel/at the wrong position.

Rust
02-01-2010, 8:50 PM
Yes it is. It might be a good idea to get a steel gas block for a 308 if you don't have on already. The gas volume going past unannodized threads may speed up the gas cutting process wearing out the block faster.

frigginchi
02-02-2010, 1:28 PM
I have a couple. Just in case :)Yes it is. It might be a good idea to get a steel gas block for a 308 if you don't have on already. The gas volume going past unannodized threads may speed up the gas cutting process wearing out the block faster.

adamsreeftank
02-02-2010, 3:02 PM
this is for my AR308 so i can shut off the gas and use my rifle like a bolt action :)

Why don't you just get a spare gas tube, cut it short, and install it upside down.

frigginchi
02-02-2010, 3:25 PM
I could do that but I still wouldn't have an adjustable gas block.

Why don't you just get a spare gas tube, cut it short, and install it upside down.

ar15barrels
02-02-2010, 3:46 PM
Is it as simple as drilling and tapping a hole and putting in a set screw to block the gas going into the gas tube.

Yes.

ar15barrels
02-02-2010, 3:47 PM

I disagree.
Most will benefit from tuning the action for optimum function.
Benefits include cleaner operation, less damage to brass and a more consistent ejection pattern that leaves all the brass in a nice little pile if you are shooting from a fixed position.

delisle
02-02-2010, 3:47 PM
Accuracy systems does what you are asking for Mini-14 but they also do alot of AR 10 and 15 custom work. Worth a shot

BTW I have a adjustable gas block for my mini and it works like a charm.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ar15_conversion.php

delisle
02-02-2010, 3:51 PM
I disagree.
Most will benefit from tuning the action for optimum function.
Benefits include cleaner operation, less damage to brass and a more consistent ejection pattern that leaves all the brass in a nice little pile if you are shooting from a fixed position.

I completely agree, the adjustable gas block is great for reloaders. Less looking for brass and more shooting. Aside from all the benefits stated by ar15barrels.

May be the next best thing for AR owners, better patent the idea!

frigginchi
02-02-2010, 4:23 PM
It's been thought of already.I just don't want to pay for one since I already have 2 standard ones.

May be the next best thing for AR owners, better patent the idea!

delisle
02-02-2010, 5:42 PM
It's been thought of already.I just don't want to pay for one since I already have 2 standard ones.

I agree, and it is a little annoying when you are trying to do something the least expensive way and someone pops in with some shot in the dark idea that doesnt really relate.

And BTW I know zero about ARs

I am happy to see self made guys looking for a way to forge their own way.

I salute you :gnorsi: