PDA

View Full Version : Where in the Inland Empire do I get reloading supplies?

lawnrevenge
01-31-2010, 7:40 PM
I want to start reloading for my Mauser, Mosin, Steyr m95 and maybe a few other in the future. I don't want to mail order everything for several reasons. Where can I find a good selection of reloading equipment in Southern California? Somewhere I can see/touch the press before I buy it...
I'm willing to drive if I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Fyathyrio
02-01-2010, 2:27 PM
If you're heading into east SD area, El Cajon Gun Exchange (http://www.elcajongun.com/) has a couple Dillons and RCBS's set up for their own loading. They were real friendly when I went in to ask some questions, took the time to walk me behind the counter show me them. They don't have Hornady, but are willing to order whatever you want. They are pretty busy on weekends tho...may be hard to match the service I received if that's when you show up.

lawnrevenge
02-01-2010, 7:32 PM
Thanks,
I'll have to give them a try. I'd probably go on a Friday morning, thanks for the heads up about the weekends.

jaymz
02-02-2010, 6:51 AM
Ammo Bros - Ontario
Bass Pro Shops - Rancho Cucamonga
Turners - San Bernardino, Chino Hills, Corona, etc.
They all have reloading supplies.

gandalfdagrey
02-02-2010, 7:02 AM
Good Info, I've just been going to Bass Pro. I wouldn't bother with Turners in San Bernardino they charge a premium on what little they have. Whats your experience with Ammo Bros?

jaymz
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Good Info, I've just been going to Bass Pro. I wouldn't bother with Turners in San Bernardino they charge a premium on what little they have. Whats your experience with Ammo Bros?

I have not purchased reloading supplies, but I have purchased other stuff. Experience has been mixed, but it's improving.

lawnrevenge
02-02-2010, 7:58 PM
I will have to try ammo bros. Turners has terrible selection and worse prices. Bass pro has a basic assortment, better than Turners but not by much. Every time I go to a turners I get disappointed.

Fyathyrio
02-02-2010, 8:26 PM
...Every time I go to a turners I get disappointed.

Don't come to the one in San Diego then. They have bullets, maybe a scale ot two...but they're not heavy into reloading at all.

gunslinger168
02-04-2010, 4:37 PM
i think surfing the internet has the best selection. try natchezss.com for some discounted prices. went to turners in chino hills 2 days ago, walked in and the wannabe swat member behind the gun counter ask if i needed help. i said no, thanks, i'm just getting a can of, before i can say "lube", he was already turned around and walking away from me. to make it worse, they didn't even have a single can of hornady spray lube for reloading rifle cartridges. had a rcbs lube pad, no lube, no help. the reloading stock was very thin and expensive. for bullets, brass, and primers, i've found my fellow calguns members offering a better selection and price than turners and bass pro shop.

XDRoX
02-05-2010, 6:55 AM
I don't want to mail order everything for several reasons.
Thanks in advance.

Why in the world would you not want to order online? That's insane. You'll end up paying almost double than you would online. My local reloading shop sells Lee carbide dies for $39:eek:
Midway has the same ones for $24. I actually feel bad for the shop owner. I don't know if he's trying to rip people off or if he just can't compete with cabelas and widway. So I buy my powder from him since it's reasonably priced.

And primers are $44 at that shop per 1000:willy_nilly:

Do yourself a favor and get everything online.

lawnrevenge
02-07-2010, 8:58 AM
Why in the world would you not want to order online? That's insane. You'll end up paying almost double than you would online. My local reloading shop sells Lee carbide dies for $39:eek:
Midway has the same ones for $24. I actually feel bad for the shop owner. I don't know if he's trying to rip people off or if he just can't compete with cabelas and widway. So I buy my powder from him since it's reasonably priced.

And primers are $44 at that shop per 1000:willy_nilly:

Do yourself a favor and get everything online.

After looking at a few suggested stores yesterday that's exactly what I will do. I was hoping that maybe a 10-20% markup over online was what I'd find. And I'd be willing to pay that to not have to wait, deal with delivery etc. But everywhere I went to had markups in the 75-200% area. Not worth it.

I'll be ordering everything. Even with the extra fees for shipping primers and black powder it's still cheaper online.

5shot
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
He's only open 3 days a week, but best deals and inventory in the area.

http://phillipswholesale.net/

Blademan21
02-07-2010, 2:57 PM
Halbrook's Gun Room
17564 Arrow Blvd.
Fontana
Open wed,fri 12-6pm,and sat10-4pm. 909-823-2451
Been there about 30+ years,call to make sure they are open and to ask if something specific is in stock.

XDRoX
02-07-2010, 7:26 PM
After looking at a few suggested stores yesterday that's exactly what I will do. I was hoping that maybe a 10-20% markup over online was what I'd find. And I'd be willing to pay that to not have to wait, deal with delivery etc. But everywhere I went to had markups in the 75-200% area. Not worth it.

I'll be ordering everything. Even with the extra fees for shipping primers and black powder it's still cheaper online.

Good luck. What kind of press are you getting?

lawnrevenge
02-09-2010, 7:55 PM
Good luck. What kind of press are you getting?

either a turret or progressive. Leaning towards lee (because of price and good reviews) I will see what deals are out there. will not skimp on dies.

g17owner
02-09-2010, 8:08 PM
A big NEGATIVE of natchez. The suck the big one. The first order they shipped with a delivery date that they miscalculated. (week late) The next order(tried to give them a second chance) i put in they had nothing in stock they said they did. Even though they show it in stock. Go to Widners. They have wolf primers in stock and dont give you the run around. They eitherhave it or dont and they update it regularly.

XDRoX
02-09-2010, 8:16 PM
either a turret or progressive. Leaning towards lee (because of price and good reviews) I will see what deals are out there. will not skimp on dies.

If you haven't bought yet I would actually suggest the opposite. Lee carbide dies are very inexpensive and work great. A good quality press will last you a life time.

I took the advice from experienced loaders and went with a single stage press. I went with a RCBS but Lee, Lyman, ect, all make decent single stage presses.

The thing that sold me on the single stage was every experienced reloader that I talked to still had a SS and still used it. So it wasn't a waste of money and you will use it forever even if you do progress to a turret or progressive. Plus you would be learning all the basics with the SS.

If you do decide on a progressive I would not get the Lee as I have read many negative things about it.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Reloading is really fun.

lawnrevenge
02-09-2010, 8:39 PM
Interesting. Was leaning towards turret since it can be run as a single stage if I want, but I can more easily switch calibers. I will be reloading .45acp .223 8x56r 8mm mauser, 7.62x54r to start. some in small quantities, some in large quantites (45 & 223)... Still learning, don't want to buy until I'm sure what I want/need. A friend at work is showing me the basics on his setup. He only reloads .45 and 30-06.

g17owner
02-09-2010, 8:59 PM
Lee classic turret press. Simple, robust, durable and not too pricey. You can disable the auto index feature and run in in SS too.