PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 trigger question

JMZ
01-31-2010, 6:34 PM
I have been shooting guns and hunting since I was little but only recently started messing with ARs. My question is about these Two stage or single stage "match" triggers. Are they really worth the money or is it just a way to make your gun more expensive? I go to shoot and I see guys with guns that they have thousands of dollars invested in and still cant shoot worth Sh#@. Do these triggers help or is it hype? If they do make enough difference to justify spending the money which ones are the best as far as safety, reliability and performance?

Dangerous1
01-31-2010, 6:37 PM
Fancy schmancy triggers help mask trigger slap. With a crisper break and a lighter pull, you're less likely to shank your rifle. Not saying that a stock trigger can't group well but it's a little hard when you have to pull so hard that you jerk the grip. It won't matter if you're aiming minute of bad guy. If all you're doing is adrenaline filled CQB type fighting, it's probably almost better to have a heavy trigger pull.

And by best... what are you going to be using it for? Bench shooting and chasing tight groups or fighting in Afghanistan? Geissele, Timney, and Wilson Combat are some of the top tier trigger brands out there.

bombadillo
01-31-2010, 6:43 PM
For tiny groups on paper, trigger is one of the biggest things you can do to help improve accuracy. If you KNOW when and where your trigger is going to break every single time, its one less factor you have to worry about. Also, jerking a 9lb trigger is not going to help your accuracy any whereas a 2lb match trigger that breaks like glass, you can just let it do its thing. It made me go from 3-4moa to about .5moa in a matter of a few range sessions.

JMZ
01-31-2010, 6:59 PM
Im not planning on competing in any matches or concerned with putting a bullet through the same hole at 100 yards. Im more concerned with hitting the bad guy inside of fifty feet if I have to. I was just wondering what the up side to these triggers was. Thanks

Dangerous1
01-31-2010, 7:03 PM
Have you shot your AR yet? I'm pretty sure that you can shoot a bad guy standing at 50 feet. That's less than 17 yards. I'm sure you could do it with a handgun. So no, you probably won't need a $300 trigger.

aplinker
01-31-2010, 7:03 PM
They have their place.

If you think you need a better trigger to hit anything but flies at 50ft... well... a trigger isn't what you need.

shooterdude
01-31-2010, 7:04 PM
You can tune your stock trigger for $0 or have someone do it for about $50 and realize improvement. Do a Google search for AR trigger jobs....

In any gun, a smooth light trigger with a crisp break is fantastic. Spending hundreds of $ and still not having good technique is a waste of money.

JMZ
01-31-2010, 8:06 PM
My question was not is a two hundred dollar trigger going to make me a better shot, it was was are they worth buying and what are their attributes. I have been shooting an AR for about a year now and I can shoot better with open sights than 70 percent of those tacti-fools at the range. I realize this is an open forum but why does it always seem like some smart *** has to chime in with some snide comment? Im just looking for some information. Funny how anonymity gives people big balls

nickster
01-31-2010, 8:14 PM
This is big balls headquarters.

Dangerous1
01-31-2010, 8:51 PM
My question was not is a two hundred dollar trigger going to make me a better shot, it was was are they worth buying and what are their attributes. I have been shooting an AR for about a year now and I can shoot better with open sights than 70 percent of those tacti-fools at the range. I realize this is an open forum but why does it always seem like some smart *** has to chime in with some snide comment? Im just looking for some information. Funny how anonymity gives people big balls

That's like saying you're in the top 30% in a class full of retards right? Congratulations! But I don't appreciate being called a tacti-fool.

ar15barrels
01-31-2010, 9:42 PM
My question was not is a two hundred dollar trigger going to make me a better shot, it was was are they worth buying and what are their attributes.

They are worth buying.
They give you a lighter pull with FAR less creep and a repeatable and predictable let-off so that you can have far better control of exactly WHEN you break the shot.

30rdMag
01-31-2010, 9:55 PM
What ever happen to finger control? You guys all cheat..... lol

aplinker
01-31-2010, 10:54 PM

The responses were in step with your snide OP, follow-up, and the above.

You set the tone.

Randall covered the how (not to mention the 1st reply in the thread)...

I'd suggest approaching a "tacti-fool" and asking if you can try their rifle. Most people I've met at the range are more than willing to offer the opportunity to let people shoot their stuff. It's part of the enjoyment of the sport.

That being said, most shooters have poor trigger mechanics...