PDA

View Full Version : About to build my first AR - seeking clarification of Evil Features

landyman
01-31-2010, 4:07 PM
Hi all,

After owning my Cynergy for a while, shooting skeet with my dad and friends (at SDShotgun sports before it closed, and now in Jacumba / Ramona / etc) some of my friends have been bringing rifles to the range. A friend of mine just finished an AR-15 build and I went with him to the range yesterday as he was dialing in his scope. I have been pondering a 30-06 and some other rifles and also a Kimber gold match 1911 but after yesterday I have decided an AR will be my first rifle and next gun purchase.

I have been searching this forum and reading posts. I have a printout of the flowchart and I am doing my best to learn PC and SB23. I am seeking clarification as to weather the term Evil Features that I see on the boards refers to the banned characteristics of PC12276.1(a):
A Pistol Grip
A thumbhole Stock
Folding/Telescoping stock
Grenade/flare launcher
Flash Suppressor
Forward pistol grip

I am assuming it does, however I like to be crystal clear on all the facts prior to making purchase (especially when spending 1-2 thousand dollars!)

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 4:13 PM
You can have those evil features (not sure on grenade launcher laws) if you have a fixed magazine. And the fixed magazine cant accept more than 10 rounds.

The magazine can only be removed with a tool...and a bullet is a tool by law. Also...you must recognize that AW status can be achieved via owning a "Banned by Name" receiver. So...make sure you get an Off List Receiver too.

qtmac_mien
01-31-2010, 4:15 PM
get yourself a bullet button and a 10rd mag and you are good to have the evil features besides NV, suppressors, and grenade launchers

landyman
01-31-2010, 4:18 PM
Thank you.. it sounds like I guessed correctly that the list is infact the 'Evil Features'.

Yes I am planning on an OLL. I haven't made up my mind yet, the first one I have seen in person is a JD Machine. I am also still reviewing other builds I have seen here before deciding on an upper, and features.

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 4:27 PM
The grenade launcher is the only thing that's off limits for "Joe Average".
That would be a "Destructive Device" and prohibited under NFA laws without a tax stamp for it... good luck at getting that.

However, included in "grenade launcher" but not a DD or AOW would be a flare launcher. These launchers cannot chamber a grenade or shotgun shell, and are permissible.

But realistically, the flare launcher is little more than a mall ninja's toy... it really has no practical use unless you are using your AR as a personal defense weapon out on your boat, or perhaps hiking/hunting deep in the boonies where you might have a need for a signaling flare... and personally, I'd rather just use a dedicated flare gun kit and not have to lug around the extra weight on my AR.

The primary "evil features" of concern to AR builders are the telescoping stock, pistol grip, forward grip, and flash hider. All are legal with a fixed magazine.

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 4:35 PM
The grenade launcher is the only thing that's off limits for "Joe Average".
That would be a "Destructive Device" and prohibited under NFA laws without a tax stamp for it... good luck at getting that.

However, included in "grenade launcher" but not a DD or AOW would be a flare launcher. These launchers cannot chamber a grenade or shotgun shell, and are permissible.

But realistically, the flare launcher is little more than a mall ninja's toy... it really has no practical use unless you are using your AR as a personal defense weapon out on your boat, or perhaps hiking/hunting deep in the boonies where you might have a need for a signaling flare... and personally, I'd rather just use a dedicated flare gun kit and not have to lug around the extra weight on my AR.

The primary "evil features" of concern to AR builders are the telescoping stock, pistol grip, forward grip, and flash hider. All are legal with a fixed magazine.

^^^^^^^

What he said.

landyman
01-31-2010, 5:09 PM
Thankyou again for all of your informative replies. I am glad I found calguns.net.

Fate
01-31-2010, 5:38 PM
Missed one. Has to have an overall length of 30". That's not something a fixed mag can "nullify."

aplinker
01-31-2010, 7:18 PM
Keep in mind, those are the features to turn a semi-automatic, centerfire RIFLE into an assault weapon.

The list of "evil features" is different for shotguns and pistols.

Josh3239
01-31-2010, 7:58 PM
Missed one. Has to have an overall length of 30". That's not something a fixed mag can "nullify."

As long as it has a 16'' barrel and an "standard" extention it will be 30''.

One more thing if your interested, if you make it rimfire you don't need a mag lock, you can have evil features, it can be 26'' minimum, and you can have a folding stock/no extention tube. Reason is because those AW laws you quoted are for centerfire rifles.