PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy My .308 POF Upper

ZakAttackMan
01-31-2010, 3:48 PM
After searching the internet I have more questions than answers on the reliability of POF's Uppers. There seems to be a lot of issues with them. I'm not 100% against buying one yet (Mostly due to the fact I already have both a 5.56 an .308 Lowers), but what I can gather is most of the problems were solved after the rifle was sent back to the factory and the rifle ran flawlessly after. So I think that they might still be working out some issues, and should have some resolution to them by now. From what I have read there doesnt seem to be that many issues with the 5.56 Uppers.

I'm not sure if it was due to poor quality control, trying to keep up with demand and sacrificing quality. I guess I could always buy a DPMS .308 Upper and run with that.

Most people say if you want a quality piston driven .308 rifle than get the LWRC REPR. I might just sell both of my lowers and do that.

I just would like to here some input before I spend the cash.

On a side note will a DPMS .243 Upper work with my POF .308 Lower??

bomb_on_bus
01-31-2010, 6:36 PM
I would buy it only after considering how much you are willing to spend. You have listed interest in other makes of uppers that are hundreds of dollars in price difference. Your cheapest bet would be DPMS pof in the middle and LWRC at the top of the list.

All makers have problems and all you have to do is look around ar15.com to know that. Tons of FUD and whiners plague that site one of the many reasons I closed my account.

Your best bet is to see which one you like the most by actually trying one or all of them out. Then go from there.

In the end theres pros and cons with all of them and the best way to figure that out is what do you want out of the gun and which brand offers that in their product line. That way you get what you want baised on your opinion and not some interwebz hype. Last thing you need is some bad FUD.

aplinker
01-31-2010, 7:33 PM
A .308 is where I would least want a piston. I'm not exactly pro piston, but in .308 it really doesn't make sense. The .308 is generally built as a precision gun, as the round has legs. As such, you want to build it on an accuracy-based platform. Pistons are subject to vertical stringing - bad if you're trying to shoot distance accurately.

The .308 AR world is currently in extreme flux. I wouldn't go running off headlong trying to decide right now. There have been 1/2 dozen or so introductions in the past year, and another 1/2 dozen are coming soon. HK MR, LaRue's OSR, the LMT MRP308...

You're in an awkward situation, having already bought the lowers...

1 SIG fan
01-31-2010, 7:43 PM
with the LWRC you can turn off the gas and it acts as a single shot bolt gun. So, would that be a 'best of both worlds' compromise???

battleship
01-31-2010, 7:55 PM
Might want to take a look at the LWRC REPR in 308, i checked one out today at a local gun store and didn't want to put it down. not only does it look incredible but you can change out the barrel lengths out from 16 through 20 inches. Pricey though.

emtnsocali
01-31-2010, 9:52 PM
i have a pof .308 20" rifle that i put together....i did have problems at first with the feed ramps on the upper. the rounds kept jaming up and pushing the bullet into the case. POF fixed the rifle and included a 5rd mag and one of their new roller cam pins free. i absolutely love my rifle now.....

Ishoot
01-31-2010, 9:58 PM
A .308 is where I would least want a piston. I'm not exactly pro piston, but in .308 it really doesn't make sense. The .308 is generally built as a precision gun, as the round has legs. As such, you want to build it on an accuracy-based platform. Pistons are subject to vertical stringing - bad if you're trying to shoot distance accurately.

The .308 AR world is currently in extreme flux. I wouldn't go running off headlong trying to decide right now. There have been 1/2 dozen or so introductions in the past year, and another 1/2 dozen are coming soon. HK MR, LaRue's OSR, the LMT MRP308...

This is the advice I'm taking. :p

problemchild
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Is larue guaranteeing 1/4 inch moa?

http://larueosr.com/images/products/detail/ObR_Sell_Sheet_12510.2.jpg

This one looks nice.......
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/2009shotshow-01162009-017.jpg

IsaacGlass
01-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Might want to take a look at the LWRC REPR in 308, i checked one out today at a local gun store and didn't want to put it down. not only does it look incredible but you can change out the barrel lengths out from 16 through 20 inches. Pricey though.

+1 on the REPR, if not wait for the LMT .308

Jpach
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
IIRC Larue guaruntees 1 MOA. I dig the accuracy but IMHO the rifle looks pretty fugly

technique
02-01-2010, 5:45 AM
A word on POF:

I have never dealt with a POF .308. I have not simply because my POF 5.56 was a hunk of ****. I got an early one, I mention this because they are said to have improved since. I will note that in my dealing with this hunk of ****, POF serviced SUCKED. In addition, I sent it back and it was "fixed" 3-4 times. Each time, it still sucked when I got it.

If I where to do a .308 piston. It would be an OBR.

zukieast
02-01-2010, 5:58 AM
I own 2 POF rifles (556 and 308) and love both of them. I built the lowers myself and bought the uppers.

I got the first gen models and all the problems I had were with the lowers that I built with DPMS parts. I have since worked out all issues and love both guns.

For 200-300 shooting both guns will ding a 12"x8" plate with no problems. That is accurate enough. Most ranges in CA dont go past 200 and the the average person looking at a Piston Rifle with all the rails on a POF is not buying it for extreme accuracy.

Lots of shooting and fast. And easy to clean.

Want accuracy then buy a direct Gas system like the DPMS. POF Lower will work on DPMS, LaRue etc. Only upper it will not work on is an Armalite.

I own one of them also (AR10) and it is a nice shooter.

ZakAttackMan
02-01-2010, 8:25 AM
Will a DPMS .243 Upper work with a .308 POF Lower??? Just Curious

Rommel
02-01-2010, 8:28 AM
After searching the internet I have more questions than answers on the reliability of POF's Uppers. There seems to be a lot of issues with them. I'm not 100% against buying one yet (Mostly due to the fact I already have both a 5.56 an .308 Lowers), but what I can gather is most of the problems were solved after the rifle was sent back to the factory and the rifle ran flawlessly after. So I think that they might still be working out some issues, and should have some resolution to them by now. From what I have read there doesnt seem to be that many issues with the 5.56 Uppers.

I'm not sure if it was due to poor quality control, trying to keep up with demand and sacrificing quality. I guess I could always buy a DPMS .308 Upper and run with that.

Most people say if you want a quality piston driven .308 rifle than get the LWRC REPR. I might just sell both of my lowers and do that.

I just would like to here some input before I spend the cash.

On a side note will a DPMS .243 Upper work with my POF .308 Lower??

I have a POF 308 rifle and I did have an issue with it having abnormal carrier tilt but a quick trip back to POF and they fixed that for me along with gave me a free roller cam pin. I cannot complain about their service, both Chris and John have been honest and upfront with me.

The rifle is a beast and for sub $3k I am not sure any of the other semi-auto .308s are going to be anymore accurate considering the POF comes with a Rock Creek barrel which if you know about precision rifles you would know they turn out very nice barrels.

ZakAttackMan
02-02-2010, 3:42 AM
Will a DPMS .243 Upper work with a .308 POF Lower??? Just Curious

:shrug: