PDA

View Full Version : Buyers Remores: WASR AK

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 3:29 PM
Hello fellow Calgunners,

I purchased a WASR featureless AK style rifle yesterday at the Costa Mesa Crossroads of the West Gun Show, WITHOUT doing my homework (shame on me) and for some reason, I came into some threads here stating that they are JUNK.

Can someone enlightening me on WHY they feel they are junk aside from the cheap price?

I purchased this rifle for $525 and kinda wished I spent alittle more for a Lancaster which I was eying at the CWS booth.

I always thought an AK was an AK as I use to own both the Norinco MAK90 and the Hungarian SA85M and they both shoot perfectly the same.

Thanks for the input...

69Mach1
01-31-2010, 3:32 PM
Slow down. Wait until you get it out of DROS to examine it and take it to the range. There might be an issue with front sight cant, or cosmetic fit and finish. Do you remember if it was the WASR with the two dimples in the receiver above the magazine well, or no dimples?

Hopi
01-31-2010, 3:33 PM
They are not junk. They are generally poorly finished (wood/etc), but functional.

It's an AK.

Rooftop Voter
01-31-2010, 3:34 PM
they are not as "pretty" as your other rifles but they usually still work decently...

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 3:39 PM
Slow down. Wait until you get it out of DROS to examine it and take it to the range. There might be an issue with front sight cant, or cosmetic fit and finish. Do you remember if it was the WASR with the two dimples in the receiver above the magazine well, or no dimples?

Honestly I didn't notice any such dimples most likely because i wasn't looking for them or any kinds of minor flaws etc.

It looked like an AK and I immediately fell in love with it and thus put the money down to make the purchase.

Usually I would do my homework before purchasing any kind of firearm, but I always thought that an AK is an AK and all built the same.

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 3:43 PM
They are not junk. They are generally poorly finished (wood/etc), but functional.

It's an AK.

Actually, Im not concerned about aesthetics, BUT... functionality is of course the greatest concern.

There are threads stating that the sights may be canted (left/right) and that the magazine wobbles or doesnt function because of it wobbling.

Those are the issues that I was most concerned about...

Hoping for the best...:(

Cato
01-31-2010, 3:44 PM
Just enjoy it!

Use it and abuse it, then you will know what AK you REALLY want. Consider it a "training AK."

What's wrong with having 2 or more AKs?

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 3:49 PM
Just enjoy it!

Use it and abuse it, then you will know what AK you REALLY want. Consider it a "training AK."

What's wrong with having 2 or more AKs?

I agree... having 2 AK's would be nice as I previously owned two before after getting rid of them when i needed the money.

The main reason I purchased the WASR was because I had lots of AK mags from my previous AKs but NOW im concerned that they may not fit them?

I really hope all goes well... :rolleyes:

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 3:50 PM
Not all magazines are going to be the same size...so I dont care what AK you're talkin about , there will be some that wobble. As long as they function and stay in...who cares..?? Also....I've read a bunch of negativity about WASR's too...but for the most part , they are posts by people that dont even own one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I got to check it over first. No...they arent the most beautiful AK....but who really gives a crap..??? It makes it more fun to beat the hell out of it.

If anything...I've seen countless post's from people exclaiming their love for there WASR's....and how it has always worked...and how its been reliable. If you look hard enough...you'll find negative crap on any gun.

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 3:55 PM
Not all magazines are going to be the same size...so I dont care what AK you're talkin about , there will be some that wobble. As long as they function and stay in...who cares..?? Also....I've read a bunch of negativity about WASR's too...but for the most part , they are posts by people that dont even own one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I got to check it over first. No...they arent the most beautiful AK....but who really gives a crap..??? It makes it more fun to beat the hell out of it.

If anything...I've seen countless post's from people exclaiming their love for there WASR's....and how it has always worked...and how its been reliable. If you look hard enough...you'll find negative crap on any gun.

Thanks Trendkill,

Definitely feels reassuring hearing that!

I dont ever nor do I ever want anyone here to feel any remorse buying something they like.

supersteve9219
01-31-2010, 3:57 PM
An AK is like a 4x4 truck, its not supposed to look nice, its supposed to be beat on and get dirty, sure it isn't the best handling type of car but it works and it gets the job done.

I started my 10 day wait on my Henderson Defense wasr 10, the thing looks like **** but that gives it personality and it seems fully functional, who cares if the wood is rough and the paint is dull.

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 3:57 PM
The only thing I would be remorseful about is I feel that $525 was a bit much.
Not TOO much... just a bit high.
Henderson sells them for about $400 with bayo, pouch, and accessory kit... add another $100 for shipping and your FFL fees and $525 isn't too bad if it includes tax and DROS.

Their quality is hit and miss. Regardless of if they're "purdy", a local shop ran a lot of 5 through last year, 3 of that shipment them ended up coming back.

The only thing that bothers me about yours is the lack of dimples on the magwell. Supposedly, Century has gotten much better in the last year or so and the guns are much more reliable, but also, supposedly, these "better" models have dimples.

As mentioned above. Take it home and wring it out at the range. It's probably going to be just fine.

supersteve9219
01-31-2010, 4:00 PM
The only thing I would be remorseful about is I feel that $525 was a bit much.
Not TOO much... just a bit high.
Henderson sells them for about $400 with bayo, pouch, and accessory kit... add another $100 for shipping and your FFL fees and $525 isn't too bad if it includes tax and DROS.

Their quality is hit and miss. Regardless of if they're "purdy", a local shop ran a lot of 5 through last year, 3 of that shipment them ended up coming back.

The only thing that bothers me about yours is the lack of dimples on the magwell. Supposedly, Century has gotten much better in the last year or so and the guns are much more reliable, but also, supposedly, these "better" models have dimples.

As mentioned above. Take it home and wring it out at the range. It's probably going to be just fine.

Just got a HD wasr, it was $440 and $70 to DROS it at Enterprise Arms, cool thing was that HD doesn't charge tax. So he got a ok deal, but from what I hear HD is the best place to get a wasr 10 from.

ChrisO
01-31-2010, 4:16 PM
They are not junk people have problems but people do with a lot of guns. I have 2 lancasters and they are great but even they have slight mag wobble but they function flawlessly. Canted front site is a VERY small problem that can be fixed and most the time does not even need to be fixed. Just think of it this way if you get your gun and it runs good then you got a good reliable AK for a good decent price! Way less than you would spend on a lancaster! If it runs it runs!!!

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 4:17 PM
Also... can anyone tell me what is a Certified WASR from Henderson vs. a WASR which I purchased from Gunrunners at the show?

What does CERTIFIED mean?

I dont recall my WASR as listed as CERTIFIED.

cokebottle... As far as the price I didn't mind paying alittle more as it still seemed reasonable and they are very close to my house to pick up. I've purchased from them before and dont mind giving them my business as they seem pretty cool.

69Mach1
01-31-2010, 4:23 PM
Henderson Defense "Certified" WASR's are ones that HD goes over to make sure the rifle has no fitment or canted sight issues. They are also the best source to buy WASR's from because unlike Century, who will not do warranty work for Californians, Henderson Defense will.

joefrank64k
01-31-2010, 4:23 PM
Also... can anyone tell me what is a Certified WASR from Henderson vs. a WASR I purchased from Gunrunners at the show?

What does CERTIFIED mean?

Certified just means that they've been checked for front sight cant, etc....

Don't worry about your WASR!!! I've got one, and it rocks...of course it looks rough and ready, but that's the draw!!! The thing just works...enjoy!!! :D

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 4:25 PM
Thanks guys... Thanks for all the useful information and your help! :)

Greg-Dawg
01-31-2010, 4:26 PM
Just wait out the 10 days and take it to the range.

You can always return it or resell.

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 4:27 PM
See....so far...the people that actually have one cant complain.

;)

B Strong
01-31-2010, 4:35 PM
Hello fellow Calgunners,

I purchased a WASR featureless AK style rifle yesterday at the Costa Mesa Crossroads of the West Gun Show, WITHOUT doing my homework (shame on me) and for some reason, I came into some threads here stating that they are JUNK.

Can someone enlightening me on WHY they feel they are junk aside from the cheap price?

I purchased this rifle for $525 and kinda wished I spent alittle more for a Lancaster which I was eying at the CWS booth.

I always thought an AK was an AK as I use to own both the Norinco MAK90 and the Hungarian SA85M and they both shoot perfectly the same.

Thanks for the input...

Your experience with firing the rifle is more valuable than what somebody writes on an internet forum, even Calguns.

Take the thing to the range after the 10 days are up and shoot it - if it works, who cares what somebody else thinks?

turbochris
01-31-2010, 4:40 PM
if you like it who cares what anybody thinks

blikeandy
01-31-2010, 4:46 PM
I used to have didn't have any problems with it awsome shooter I'm going to get another don't worry just shoot it

Q
01-31-2010, 5:22 PM
Looks like some are built with valuable kits, like this one, a 1966 all matching #'s with early barrel parts. Kits worth at least $350.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156003296

Darklyte27
01-31-2010, 5:28 PM
if you want beauty look elsewhere like a razor sharp looking AR. an AK is a ugly mofo that will get the job done for less.

turbochris
01-31-2010, 5:33 PM
if you want beauty look elsewhere like a razor sharp looking AR. an AK is a ugly mofo that will get the job done for less.

there are some beautiful ak's out there. but a wasr sure isnt one of them.

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 5:48 PM

I think AK's are cool lookin.

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2010, 5:53 PM
It'll be fine. Afterall, IT IS JUST AN AK!

BTW, I own a WASR10, a WASR22 and a WASR3. All three of them work as well as the other 10-12 AKs I have. Oh yea, I really don't even like AKs but, they are fun to build and function reliably.

VegasND
01-31-2010, 5:55 PM
I have a WASR and I like it. The metal finish is mediocre; the wood looks like somebody might have had a piece of sandpaper somewhere in the shop and was finished by someone tossing a bucket from the door. BUT -- it shoots great.

A lot of people have refinished and dressed up their WASR into pretty nice looking rifles. Mine is just a plinkin' gun for fun, so it gets no love.

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 5:56 PM

BTW, I own a WASR10, a WASR22 and a WASR3. All three of them work as well as the other 10-12 AKs I have. Oh yea, I really don't even like AKs but, they are fun to build and function reliably.

You should give me a 2 fer 1 deal on those AK's you dont like. :p

turbochris
01-31-2010, 5:58 PM

wow for a guy that dont like ak's you sure do own alot of them:D

2600fromAtari
01-31-2010, 6:42 PM
speeedracerr, I'm going to be the only dissenter here, and I say that I absolutely hated my WASR. I didn't care about the rough wood, although the ugly park job wasn't pleasing to my eyes, I simply wanted it as a SHTF gun and range toy that would get a lot of work. Saying that an AK is an AK is simply not true. I think the AK is one of the most reliable designs but there are too many tall tales out there.

My WASR had a jam or two about every hundred round, and before I sold it, also feeding issues which I disclosed to the buyer. I could write it off as bad luck, but a friend has the same issues. I've handled a few other examples in the past, and the story is not any different. I purchased mines because after reading through several boards on the Internet, I thought Century had finally resolved the issues. I guessed wrong. Lightning has struck more than once or twice here with my personal experiences with the WASRs.

I have never had any problems with the other makes (Saigas, Lancasters, etc). The only thing I had to do was adjust the sights at the range. I will NEVER EVER buy another WASR in my life.

It seems that others have had better luck; hope you're one of them.

aplinker
01-31-2010, 6:43 PM
Compared to a milled Arsenal, sure... junk.

But it's just an AK. It will shoot. It will work. At worst you'll have to spend a few bucks getting it to run in top form. AK gunsmithing is cheap and easy.

Posts often tend toward hyperbole when people are asking about what to buy.

Of all rifles ever made were ranked from junk at 1 to the very best possible at 10, all AKs would have a breadth of maybe 1 to 1.5 points. They're just that hard to **** up.

Heavy_Grinder
01-31-2010, 7:17 PM
The WASR is in my opinion is a complete POS. MY WASR 10/63 looks good. It has no FSB Cant. The rifle looks good as a AK should be, but this POS cannot feed reliably whatsoever. I've tried different mags. Different ammo and still....Half the time a round cannot chamber properly.

I've asked for help on this forum before and even from industry insiders and no one knows jack **** as to what's wrong. I should have spent more money on a better quality AK.

So there you have it. I've done my research and I know I am not the only one with this problem. The supposed cure for this was to use FMJ rounds but still I get Halfass feeds.

WeekendWarrior
01-31-2010, 8:10 PM
My WASR-10 has never had any issues. After I refinished the wood it looks great and shoots decently. I have no remorse over my purchase.

supersonic
01-31-2010, 8:49 PM
My WASR-10 was my very first AK, and after about 150-200 rounds (the chamber was a tad rough) it truly 'broke in' and hasn't stopped firing without a hiccup, yet. And, after a few years now, I STILL have YET to clean it!!!!! I would not hesitate to buy one again if I could pay the $399 I did back in '07 for a new one!............Yeah, I love my WASR.:D

50CalAL
01-31-2010, 8:50 PM
What 69Mach1 said, make sure the front sight bast isn't canted. WASR's generally don't have a great or even good finish for that matter.

I have one and I bought it because I just wanted a beater gun and what better than a AK.

I'm going to have the finish redone (probably cera coated) but it shoots fine. Put about 500 rounds of Wolf and no problems.

Does what it's suppose to.

E-120
01-31-2010, 9:10 PM
I love my WASR it looks authentic and functions fine.

nickster
01-31-2010, 9:28 PM
I have two of them and they both run great. Wouldn't sell either one of them.

speeedracerr
01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Hmmm.... from the looks of it, it appears that the WASR is a crapshoot! Im hoping that I'll be one of those who have a great working AK.

If not... I guess I'll just have to save up for another AK most likely being a Lancaster.

BUT... before I shoot down my purchase even before getting a chance to test it, I'll wait out the DROS period and cross my fingers.

nickster
01-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't loose any sleep, I think you'll be glad you got it. Let us know how you like it after you shoot it.

supersteve9219
01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Hmmm.... from the looks of it, it appears that the WASR is a crapshoot! Im hoping that I'll be one of those who have a great working AK.

If not... I guess I'll just have to save up for another AK most likely being a Lancaster.

BUT... before I shoot down my purchase even before getting a chance to test it, I'll wait out the DROS period and cross my fingers.

One last note,

MAKE SURE TO CLEAN IT FIRST!! I have heard a ton of people who had problems when they first shot it only to realize there was cosmoline everywhere inside the gun, jamming up the gas ports and piston, once they cleaned it up the gun ran great.

I have heard Henderson Defense cleans theirs and applies something to help break the gun in faster but I am not 100% about that.

Try not to get any impressions before firing the gun, you might end up seeing problems that don't really exist.

someR1
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
mine w/ refinished rit dye wood: $399
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vc94cj.jpg

Good_Knight
02-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Could it have possibly been a milled rifle? I was there and looked at all the AKs at all the booths that had them, and I saw a bunch of retro Polish 1960 models by Century...if in fact you did get one of those and just can't quite remember, then you made of with a real as it gets deal AK. In any event don't worry, yours will be fun to shoot.

g17owner
02-01-2010, 1:12 AM
Here is my buddies WASR.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/fr8owner/SIG%20P6/P6006-1-1.jpg
He replaced the furniture, installed a G2 FCG, RPK rear sight, and bulgarian muzzle brake and had it reparkerized. Came out decent i think and he can ping the gong at 200 yds all day long with zero trouble and using wolf. He ran over a case of military classic through it one weekend without one malfunction or stopage. Dont knock the WASR until you fire it and dont believe everything you read on the internet. Try it out for yourself.

k3nnex
02-01-2010, 1:14 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/mother_fcukin_princess/0ffc24680d346409abc36a63607de400.gif

edit: o my, sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread....

SJgunguy24
02-01-2010, 1:33 AM
Hopefully you have no issues with your WASR but it can be a crap shoot.
For my money I would've bought a kit (2-300$), NDS3 receiver (55$), AK builder rivets (9$), and something to refinish the rifle with and find a build party or reaserch and build the thing myself.
Or Saiga and convert, can be done for less then 500$

Philthy
02-01-2010, 2:13 AM

I take it you've never heard of the Poly Technologies Legend series or Valmets.

Joe
02-01-2010, 2:20 AM
Its garbage. Sell it to me at half price.

D53
02-01-2010, 2:40 AM
Honestly IMHO you are worrying too much. I picked mine up and went straight to the range without cleaning it ( Dreadnought 76 can verify that) shot the piss out of it without cleaning it until after the 3rd range trip. And using cheap steel ammo ( Wolf, brown/silver bear) I have never had a FTF, FTE, or any failures. Mine like all non dimpled recievers does have magazine wobble that used to bother me, but it really isn't a problem. My front sight is slightly canted, but I am not trying to get 1/4" groups at 100 yards off of irons with my AK. I paid $600 for mine ( during the gun craze and I ordered mine from Tenn.) Here is a video shooting it down at Metcalf, i can't even remember the last time I had cleaned it before I shot it in the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAg89H_WjPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAg89H_WjPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

technique
02-01-2010, 4:28 AM
I was never really happy with any of my WASRs...even the ones that were hit, and especially not the misses.

Keep in mind fit and finish mean NOTHING to me! Craftsmanship means EVERYTHING. And this is what it came down to.

WASRs (Century)...just don't have that. Most are slapped together, they aren't dimpled, and have a lot of "slop" to them. They ALL shoot of course. Given a choice of a WASR that is actually nice fit and finish wise, or a Hungarian, Bulgarian, Polish, or Yugoslavian AK that has been dragged behind a truck down a gravel road for miles....

I would still pick the any of the later to be perfectly honest.

Your WASR will shoot, and it will work. But you know what a well made AK is like.....that's why you have the buyers remorse. Not much you can do about it.

Darklyte27
02-01-2010, 6:02 AM
I think AK's are cool lookin.

I care more about it shooting nice groups than looks.:D

supersonic
02-01-2010, 6:23 AM
I was never really happy with any of my WASRs

Then I think this is a completely fair question: Why in the world would you keep buying them? I drove my dad's 20-yr.-old Chevy pickup for 10 MORE years without a hiccup (still runs to this day) - and after that I bought a brand new Ford and it was in my garage being fixed more than it was on the road -- Now it's very simple: I won't ever own a FixOrRepairDaily again.;)

technique
02-01-2010, 6:32 AM
Then I think this is a completely fair question: Why in the world would you keep buying them? I drove my dad's 20-yr.-old Chevy pickup for 10 MORE years without a hiccup (still runs to this day) - and after that I bought a brand new Ford and it was in my garage being fixed more than it was on the road -- Now it's very simple: I won't ever own a FixOrRepairDaily again.;)

Easy... You're limited on choices in Ca.
Build one (didn't start doing that till after all the WASRs) or buy what you're able to.
WASRs are truly hit or miss. Sometimes you have to order a few (if you can't select from a shop that has stock) to get a decent one.

Idaho is truly AK heaven. Most of the guns at shows here are AKs of all makes. Side by side with WASRs, it's an easy choice. The cost of a good AK here is like the cost of a WASR in Ca. A WASR here is no more than $500 with 1K of ammo and a few mags.

Cokebottle
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Idaho is truly AK heaven. Most of the guns at shows here are AKs of all makes.
Hmm.... are any AK's classified as C&R that aren't on the Kasler list :confused: :drool5: :whistling:

technique
02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Hmm.... are any AK's classified as C&R that aren't on the Kasler list :confused: :drool5: :whistling:

Don't know. But, I did think of AJaxx (sp?) last show...
Parts galore! Rusted parts galore...you can probly come out here and get C&R shotgun frames for CHEAP!:chris:

WeekendWarrior
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Speed,

Simply refinish the wood if you dont like the look of it. Mine shoots well, never had any failures and I have only cleaned it once. I have probably put about 3k rounds through it since I bought it. My trigger pull is long, but consistent, smooth, and light.

I refinished my blonde furniture with a dark stain with a red tint to it. I dodnt even bother taking the wood off the rifle to do this, lol, I just sanded carefully and applied the stain and sealent carefully.

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/9272/2036813830074982880S600x600Q85.jpg

supersonic
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
The vast majority of WASR's will most likely work just fine for anyone wanting a good, beater AK. This guy's is all stock (except for some furniture) and look what he can do with it:http://www.youtube.com/user/billt460#p/a/f/2/kwMmhSWRu3Q

radioburning
02-01-2010, 1:09 PM
Just clean the wood, hit it with some steel wool or 1200 grit, slap some wood stain and clear lacquer on it, and have fun! AK's are meant to be caveman simple technology, not precision long range sniper rifles. Here's my Henderson Defense "certified" WASR($325 on sale) after I refinished the wood. Even with my old eyes I can hit "minute of headshot" at 100yds all day with this thing.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/radioburning/005-2.jpg?t=1265057920

K_Labs
02-01-2010, 1:54 PM
Radio and Weekend Nailed it. My uncle just bought one a few weeks ago and it shoots great. Cosmetically it was dog ugly but that's because whoever made it sanded against the grain so it was gouged and on top of that it burned the wood. I had to take some 120grit sand paper to it and then some 400 stained it and laquered. It doesn't even look like the same gun. He also had the sloppy mag problem and bought a tapco mag and that fixed the slop alot.

My uncle, my younger cousin, and I have never shot an AK before and we all hit a bowling pin multiple times at 100yards with iron sights while standing.

You can't quote me on this but I think that the gun you purchased isn't yours until you take it home. If the sight is canted or even if you don't like the grain of the wood you can ask to have a different one. I'm only saying that because when I got my AR lower it didn't have the acid eching of the store I bought it from on it that I requested and they just gave me a different one that had it and switched the serial numbers on the paper work. Besides since you just bought it at the costa mesa show you could technically go and look at it at their store front and save you 10 days of anticipation.

I got a PSL this weekend at the Costa Show!~

K_Labs
02-01-2010, 2:04 PM
Which booth did you buy from because some of the dealers were selling Wasr's for around the same price with tapco mags.

radioburning
02-01-2010, 2:33 PM
Also, the magazines tend to wobble a little because the receivers aren't "dimpled" in where the magazine sits. Mine's not dimpled, but I've never had any feeding issues.

speeedracerr
02-01-2010, 2:54 PM
Also, the magazines tend to wobble a little because the receivers aren't "dimpled" in where the magazine sits. Mine's not dimpled, but I've never had any feeding issues.

Im not really sure what "dimpled" means... does anyone have a picture or an example of where this dimple is supposed to be placed?

I think recalling some type of dimple where the front of the magazine sits but that is all i can recall.

Likewise... Im not going to pass judgment on my purchase just yet.

To be honest, I was quite concerned after the purchase since I saw on various forums and threads that the WASR was a POS...

BUT, I'll just wait it out until I actually receive it to give an update.

Next time, I'll remember to do my homework on any firearm purchase I make and not assume that one type of rifle is homogeneous across the board.

In anycase, I definitely appreciate everyone's input and feedback with the WASR, I'll be sure to give an update when my 10 days are over. ;)

Thanks again...

Cokebottle
02-01-2010, 3:14 PM
Side of the magwell under the rail spot welds ahead of the mag release.

None of the photos in this thread show dimpled receivers.
This one is dimpled.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/amd65FEG.jpg

WeekendWarrior
02-01-2010, 3:18 PM
I vote that you change the name of this thread. You cant have buyers remorse until you have the item you bought in hand so you know that it is not what you wanted to buy... A lot of people talk smack about WASRs, but the majority of those people have never even owned one or would consider themselves AK Gurus/Elitists. I think the WASR make for a great entry level AK.

radioburning
02-01-2010, 3:18 PM
Look at the three on the right, at the tip of the safety selector right above where the mag is inserted. See those oval(ish) indentations in the side of the receiver? Those are the dimples. The WASR, on the far left doesn't have 'em.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9897/kits007bf0.jpg

BTW, these AK's look awfully familiar.:shifty::detective:

SexualChocolate
02-01-2010, 4:18 PM
No dimples on my WASR. Instead they welded some small steel plates inside the magwell to reduce mag wobble. Got mine from peachstateguns.com.

There is VERY little lateral wobble on my WASR. No cant on front sights. Finish was ok, wood was not bad and unfinished. After a little 220 grit and a few rubbed in coats of boiled linseed oil and it looks worlds better.

Havent gotten her out to the range yet but I cant wait.

IMHO, an AK is like a glock, who cares what it looks like. Its meant to be treated like hammered dog sh*t and keep asking for more. Its not tacticool, its not pretty, it smells bad and if it could it would punch out your mother and then have a beer.

g17owner
02-01-2010, 4:45 PM
I agree 100% with it being equated to the glock. You really cant go wrong for the price. yes there are many that are nicer but i would feel bad getting one of them as dirty or handling it as roughly as i do my buddies wasr.

D53
02-01-2010, 8:31 PM
honestly it seems like you have your mind set on it being a POS, even after most people have told you the pros and cons and how Wasrs really aren't that bad. From what I have read in each one of your post, it sounds like you have already distilled the dislike for the Wasr and even if your sights are straight ( which almost all are not) and there is no magazine wobble. With that frame of mind you might as well see if the dealer will let you trade it for store credit or let you upgrade to a nicer AK platform.

On a side note, when you bought the Wasr, you must have looked at it. Picked it up, aimed it to the sky or down at the floor, dry fired it, racked the bolt, checked the internals, saw the finish? Or did you just see the price tag and say " Ok I'll buy it" ?
I am not trying to be a dick, just curious how you decided to purchase a rifle without doing any of the listed items? In your OP all you stated was
" I purchased a WASR featureless AK style rifle yesterday at the Costa Mesa Crossroads of the West Gun Show, WITHOUT doing my homework (shame on me)"

SVPRApps
02-01-2010, 8:35 PM
...did i make the right choice? :D

its kinda ugly but im function over form type

hennderson
10/30 mag
mag lock
pistol grip! :D

speeedracerr
02-01-2010, 8:52 PM
honestly it seems like you have your mind set on it being a POS, even after most people have told you the pros and cons and how Wasrs really aren't that bad. From what I have read in each one of your post, it sounds like you have already distilled the dislike for the Wasr and even if your sights are straight ( which almost all are not) and there is no magazine wobble. With that frame of mind you might as well see if the dealer will let you trade it for store credit or let you upgrade to a nicer AK platform.

On a side note, when you bought the Wasr, you must have looked at it. Picked it up, aimed it to the sky or down at the floor, dry fired it, racked the bolt, checked the internals, saw the finish? Or did you just see the price tag and say " Ok I'll buy it" ?
I am not trying to be a dick, just curious how you decided to purchase a rifle without doing any of the listed items? In your OP all you stated was
" I purchased a WASR featureless AK style rifle yesterday at the Costa Mesa Crossroads of the West Gun Show, WITHOUT doing my homework (shame on me)"

Actually if you read a few post back, about 6 or 7 post? I stated that I would reserve judgment on the WASR before I begin to bash it.

As far as my stating about doing my "homework", I think anyone in the right mind should especially when making a firearm purchase or any kind of purchase for that matter.

In all honestly, you are right in what you stated... I first picked up the rifle and didn't really inspect it as I had it in my head that all AK's are built the same.

Just like some here state that an AK is similar to a glock, dependable, rugged and gets the job done.

My mistake was researching the pros/cons before purchasing and to see if there are differences if any between a WASR and other AK variants.

BUT... to be honest, I think after hearing from ACTUAL WASR owners here, it appears that there are more positive feedbacks and that already comforts me knowing that I will at least get something that functions well.

I really dont care about aesthetics as I previously stated but I will probably buy another AK somewhere down the road just for a collection piece. :D

nickster
02-01-2010, 8:57 PM
It's a good thing you didn't do your homework because you probably wouldn't have bought it........and you would have missed out on a lot of fun.

aplinker
02-01-2010, 8:59 PM
DO you also worry if a chick has a VD while you're going at it?

You're already balls deep... Why not just enjoy what you've got and worry about it when it's time to worry.

speeedracerr
02-01-2010, 9:01 PM
It's a good thing you didn't do your homework because you probably wouldn't have bought it........and you would have missed out on a lot of fun.

HAHAHA... I like how you think! Maybe thats why my arsenal keeps growing LOL. Forget about getting a bigger safe, gotta find a bigger house! jk :D

speeedracerr
02-01-2010, 9:02 PM
DO you also worry if a chick has a VD while you're going at it?

You're already balls deep... Why not just enjoy what you've got and worry about it when it's time to worry.

Hmmmm.... a chick with VD? eh I think I would do my homework on her first. hahaha :D

team5150
02-01-2010, 9:05 PM
I have had a number of friends killed or wounded by WASR varients - tell them they weren't worth a ***t!

They get the job done - period.

supersteve9219
02-01-2010, 9:30 PM

+1, I doubt you will ever really be happy with it now, those thoughts of it being a POS will always be there.

EDIT: Your in BP?! Im right on Maine and Merced! I get mine monday, let me know if you want to go compare them, I normally go shoot at Burro Canyon.

EDIT2: Just seen your more recent posts, maybe you will be happy with it, just clear your mind haha.

speeedracerr
02-01-2010, 9:50 PM
+1, I doubt you will ever really be happy with it now, those thoughts of it being a POS will always be there.

EDIT: Your in BP?! Im right on Maine and Merced! I get mine monday, let me know if you want to go compare them, I normally go shoot at Burro Canyon.

EDIT2: Just seen your more recent posts, maybe you will be happy with it, just clear your mind haha.

Cool someone from BP! yeah, definitely we should go up to Burro sometime. Im near Los Angeles and Merced.

someR1
02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
.your WASR will shoot, and it will work.

Exactly. So, there is no problem.

sd1023x
02-02-2010, 8:45 AM
As a consumer you should demand better. During the late 80's I would gladly pick up a bottom of the barrel AK (during that time it was mostly Norincos, remember in 1989 at a gunshow in Miami some guy had a pallet of MAK-90's with 5 extra mags for $90, and MAK's are REALLY nice! Sure the furniture might rattle, but the bones of the gun are solid).

The WASR is a trainwreck and in comparison with the MAK-90, you can call the WASR "Amtrak".

For the money you guys are paying for the WASR, you should be getting an almost perfect AK example cuz the AK is not an expensive platform to build in the first place.

PIRATE14
02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Henderson Defense "Certified" WASR's are ones that HD goes over to make sure the rifle has no fitment or canted sight issues. They are also the best source to buy WASR's from because unlike Century, who will not do warranty work for Californians, Henderson Defense will.

We sell a ton of WASRs....if you buy a WASR from CWS they are covered for waranty work.....;)

WASRs are what they are....a cheap AK variant...can you get better ones..

Sure but depends on what ya want it for.......thousands of guys are happily plinkin away with their WASRs...everyday....

So get it an shoot it....than get another one....

PIRATE14
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
As a consumer you should demand better. During the late 80's I would gladly pick up a bottom of the barrel AK (during that time it was mostly Norincos, remember in 1989 at a gunshow in Miami some guy had a pallet of MAK-90's with 5 extra mags for $90, and MAK's are REALLY nice! Sure the furniture might rattle, but the bones of the gun are solid).

The WASR is a trainwreck and in comparison with the MAK-90, you can call the WASR "Amtrak".

For the money you guys are paying for the WASR, you should be getting an almost perfect AK example cuz the AK is not an expensive platform to build in the first place.

Those days are long gone.....bought my Green Lable COLT for 349....back in 81.....

Plus I've got a few Norincos an Egyptians...etc....those look like WASRs.....the Mitchel MAKs are nice though...

K_Labs
02-15-2010, 5:55 PM
So what's up did you shoot it yet?

supersteve9219
02-15-2010, 6:01 PM
I got mine and shot it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/supersteve9219/DSC_0003-2.jpg?t=126594037

Shots good, had no problem, the wood was ****ty but I refinished it. The magazine wobbles a bit but I had no problems with it.

jeffyboy
02-15-2010, 7:05 PM
I've had a couple of WASRs. Some have been great and others not so great. You just need to get it from a shop that supports their products and is willing to make it right if the weapon is a lemon

speeedracerr
02-15-2010, 7:51 PM
So what's up did you shoot it yet?

Unfortunately I haven't really had any free time lately to shoot it yet. Although I did pick it up last week and I must say that the magazine wobble is horrendous.

I went to Walmart and picked up some JB Weld and placed some onto the sides of the magazine well which definitely made for a better fit.

I dont doubt the functionality of the weapon as it is an AK and should be dependable but my only gripe was the magazine wobble which is now remedied.

Hopefully if time permitting, I'll give an update on how it shoots.

Picture below is my new rifle with some JB weld I put into the mag well.

By the way... aside from the magazine wobble and furniture, I guess I was lucky enough to receive a rifle that didn't have canted sights! :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/speeedracerr/wasr10.jpg

K_Labs
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
That wood looks like it has some potential. My uncle's looked exactly like it before I got a hold of it. Now it's beautiful and turns heads.

Nice finish supersteve

someR1
02-16-2010, 3:23 PM
My WASR @ 100yds using Brown Bear and stock iron sights :cool2:
http://i46.tinypic.com/29o3b43.jpg

supersteve9219
02-16-2010, 5:38 PM
That wood looks like it has some potential. My uncle's looked exactly like it before I got a hold of it. Now it's beautiful and turns heads.

Nice finish supersteve

Thank you,

and yea your wood looks nice, mine was covered in tar or some other gunk, was a pain in the *** to get off.

someR1
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank you,

your wood looks nice

That's what my girl said last night:eek:

The Original Godfather
02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Thank you,

and yea your wood looks nice

If I had a dime everytime I heard that one...

I'd have a nickel... :(

mine was covered in tar or some other gunk

sounds like a personal problem...
:whistling:

was a pain in the *** to get off.

...literally? :rolleyes: :cool:

:D

Darklyte27
02-17-2010, 5:58 AM
i thought i uploaded a pic to this thread, but i guess it was another one, heres my group at 100 yards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/lcplwan/IMG_0003-3.jpg

SanPedroShooter
02-17-2010, 6:53 AM
i brought my wasr home this monday and am happy with it. for someone who is just starting a collection i didnt think i needed a $1000 lancaster. i cleaned all the s**t off it and will be refinishing the wood, besides that, no cant, no trigger slap, a little wobble with the 10/30 but none with the tapco 10. i got mine from henderson w/ sloartac lock and 10/30 plus bayonet sling etc.. for 440? IIRC add $100 to ship, transfer, and dros.

supersteve9219
02-18-2010, 5:48 PM
oh god I'm never saying wood again. (well after this sentence):p

Dragunov
02-18-2010, 5:54 PM
i thought i uploaded a pic to this thread, but i guess it was another one, heres my group at 100 yards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/lcplwan/IMG_0003-3.jpg

Minute of man.... Good enough!! :)

w210838
03-30-2010, 2:45 PM
Well I am new to this site and let me tell you I own a few of the wasr 10s ,the ones with out dimples in the sides were ones that were converted by hand from single stack to double stack.The front post sites were bent on some no big deal easy to straighten out,are they ugly? Yeah they wont win a beauty contest but remember something these were not rifles made for parade's down the streets.These are battle rifles.All that matters is that they function right every time and mine do just that.I get inch to inch and half groups at 100 yards!Plus i like the fact that i can throw it around and not worry that i scratched it or dinged it,they are great guns just enjoy it!