PDA

View Full Version : Just want to make sure this is ok

gotthelife4u
01-31-2010, 3:14 PM
I am going to be house sitting for my parents or about three days. While I am at their house I wanted to know if it would be ok if I keep my pistol in my possession while staying there. The address on my DL is still there house seeing as how I am lazy and have not gotten to the DMV to get a new one.

leelaw
01-31-2010, 3:17 PM
Private residence, your firearm.. Why wouldn't it be?

Meplat
01-31-2010, 3:25 PM
I am going to be house sitting for my parents or about three days. While I am at their house I wanted to know if it would be ok if I keep my pistol in my possession while staying there. The address on my DL is still there house seeing as how I am lazy and have not gotten to the DMV to get a new one.

Prolly be best if you had the owners written permission but under the circumstances any LEO who would question you is a gold plated *****.

Para45
01-31-2010, 3:52 PM
Prolly be best if you had the owners written permission but under the circumstances any LEO who would question you is a gold plated *****.

lol +1 :thumbsup:

gotthelife4u
01-31-2010, 4:46 PM
Ok just wanted to make sure.

GrizzlyGuy
01-31-2010, 7:46 PM
Perfectly legal if you have their permission to be there (written permission not required) and you can even carry concealed anywhere on the property, and loaded if not in the 'public place' parts of their property. See this Wiki article (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Unlicensed_Concealed_Carry#At_Home) written by Gene for more info:

People who are not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms can carry loaded concealed firearms in homes the own or rent and on any other private property that they "lawfully possess." Lawful possession is generally regarded to include carrying on private property where you have the resident or owner's permission to so carry.

ChrisTKHarris
01-31-2010, 7:50 PM
You're fine.

gotthelife4u
02-01-2010, 8:15 AM
I figured it would be ok because its my old house and I have not changed my address yet. Thanks for the info guys

Glock22Fan
02-01-2010, 9:01 AM
I figured it would be ok because its my old house and I have not changed my address yet. Thanks for the info guys

It's OK anyway, as long as your parents won't object. And, that's unlikely to be an issue anyway; why would they tell the cops that they object as it would only get you into trouble when you are doing them a favor? More likely that they would say "No, officer, that's fine" with an aside to you "we'll talk about this later."

MasterYong
02-01-2010, 1:35 PM
Also, FYI though slightly off-topic:

I was once pulled over and my DL had my old address on it. I had submitted change of address forms 3 times and never got a new DL so I decided to ignore it. The LEO that pulled me over (for no reason LOL, long story) told me that she could cite me for having the wrong address on my DL. I didn't get cited, most likely because I was extremely polite, but still...

...just FYI you may want to get that DL updated. It's free.

gotthelife4u
02-01-2010, 1:54 PM
Also, FYI though slightly off-topic:

I was once pulled over and my DL had my old address on it. I had submitted change of address forms 3 times and never got a new DL so I decided to ignore it. The LEO that pulled me over (for no reason LOL, long story) told me that she could cite me for having the wrong address on my DL. I didn't get cited, most likely because I was extremely polite, but still...

...just FYI you may want to get that DL updated. It's free.

I know I need to. I still have the same picture from when I was 16, I'm 25 now. They asked me about my address when I bought my gun as well. The shop was ok with my explanation

pitchbaby
02-02-2010, 1:50 AM
If your parents are OK with it, it should be fine. Get it in writing just incase. It may be an excessive measure, but better that than spending a night in jail because of an uninformed LEO.