PDA

View Full Version : Failure to feed..

Centurion_D
01-07-2006, 8:39 PM
I was at Chabot today and experienced a bunch of failure to feed problems with my colt sporter. I'm guessing it's gotta be the mag. Unfortunately I only had one 30 rounder with me...I guess it's time to check all my mags. Here's something strange..after loading up the mag to full capacity the first 6 rounds were FTF's. What I did was lube the bolt with a couple of drops of break fee then viola! no further FTF. But later in the day with the same mag I loaded just 3 rounds and to my surprise it suffered FTF's. :mad: So I guess it's the mag..I think.

HEUER
01-07-2006, 8:43 PM
Bill and Ted can help you. What ammo?

BigAL
01-07-2006, 8:46 PM
Can you be more specific? Did the nose of the bullet get hung up on the feed ramp or was it something else?

If it was an old mag geting weak the good news is a new follower and/or mag spring are an easy solution.

Centurion_D
01-08-2006, 12:06 AM
well the FTF I was encountering was basically the round would fail to be grabbed from the magazine and chamber the next round. The bolt is fully foward and in battery..just no round in the chamber. The ammo in question is Greek manufactured Olympia SS 109. Is it possible the ammo could be causing these FTF malfuctions?

Centurion_D
01-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks Ted, I was thinking it could be a mag issue. Next time I go to Chabot I'll take a couple of mags with me...test em' out.

ohsmily
01-08-2006, 12:16 AM
unless I missed something, you haven't stated what magazine you were using other than that it has a 30 round capacity. If you are using cheapy USA Magazines or lame aftermarket equivalent, then there is your answer.

But, since I am sure you are a diligent shooter who uses the right equipment, you must have been using a GI magazine or other quality magazine....right? (even the quality ones wear out of course, and you might need a new spring as the previous people have suggested).

Centurion_D
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
I have been using GI mags. The thing is these mags we're purchased back in the late 80's..early 90's. I've checked the manufacturer and from what I've read this certain brand is supposed to be good.

fal_762x51
01-08-2006, 12:20 AM
It could be that the carrier is not being cycled all the back, thus not getting behind the case and chambering it. The gas piston or bolt could be clogged, the carrier binding in the receiver (dirt, etc.), or the recoil spring could be jammed up with dirt or oil. All I can think of off the top of my head at 0100.

Centurion_D
01-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Hmmm...for the most part I do keep my weapons clean..I'm ex military..the habit of keeping weapons clean is hard to forget.. :D

Centurion_D
01-08-2006, 12:38 AM
All I have are the USGI mags..

saki302
01-08-2006, 2:14 AM
Bill and Ted can help you.

EXCELLENT!!

:D

-Dave

BigAL
01-08-2006, 8:13 AM
Could be a short stroke where the bolt is coming back far enough to eject the round but not far enough to pickup a new one. FWIW Greek made Olympic ammo has a low reputation on Arfcom. So I'm guessing it's either that or the mag.