PDA

View Full Version : LOL at Smith & Wesson Forum

leitung
01-31-2010, 2:18 PM
I posted an ad to trade my CS40 for a 4006TSW, I posted that if people did not want to keep their high caps they could break them down and ship them to me, then I will re sell the rebuild kits to fund buying 10 rounders.. I got this from the moderator:

"I'm the moderator for the classifieds.

You're starting off on the wrong for with your first post. Do not ask the members to violate the law. I'm sure that you know that breaking down hi-cap mags and shipping them to you as rebuild kits is illegal."

:rolleyes:

chris
01-31-2010, 2:33 PM
yep you have to wonder about people. but the laws in this state are so stupid and complex anyways. send him a copy of the law to make a point.

echang86
01-31-2010, 2:41 PM
It's stupid, but can't really blame them. I don't expect the average gun owner to know the laws of all 50 states. California is notorious for its rubbish gun control. People pretty much expect everything to be illegal here. Just be polite, and reply back him with official literature, and everything will be gravy.

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 3:23 PM
It's stupid, but can't really blame them. I don't expect the average gun owner to know the laws of all 50 states. California is notorious for its rubbish gun control. People pretty much expect everything to be illegal here. Just be polite, and reply back him with official literature, and everything will be gravy.

Yes, be nice, Use it as a 'teaching moment". Acknowledge the legitimate concern and inevitable confusion caused by CA laws, and break it down for a brother.

bodger
01-31-2010, 3:56 PM
I recently inquired about doing the same thing with an H & K listed on Gun Broker. And got the same response. The parts and rebuild thing sounds illegal to them.

Tweak338
01-31-2010, 3:59 PM
I never have problems getting people to breakdown mags for me.
Some need some convincing, others are all for helping us out.

B Strong
01-31-2010, 4:11 PM
I posted an ad to trade my CS40 for a 4006TSW, I posted that if people did not want to keep their high caps they could break them down and ship them to me, then I will re sell the rebuild kits to fund buying 10 rounders.. I got this from the moderator:

You're starting off on the wrong for with your first post. Do not ask the members to violate the law. I'm sure that you know that breaking down hi-cap mags and shipping them to you as rebuild kits is illegal."

The folks at the Smith forum are very well informed about S. & W.'s but their collective knowledge of California laws are limited. Try education, and be polite. Very nice folks over there.

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 4:17 PM
I recently inquired about doing the same thing with an H & K listed on Gun Broker. And got the same response. The parts and rebuild thing sounds illegal to them.
The sellers simply assume that the buyer is going to reassemble them.

B Strong
01-31-2010, 5:26 PM

I once was on the receiving end of a rant from a gun owner that insisted that all California gun owners that own any semi-auto firearm are in violation of state law!

You can not cure stupidity.

HowardW56
01-31-2010, 6:47 PM
The folks at the Smith forum are very well informed about S. & W.'s but their collective knowledge of California laws are limited. Try education, and be polite. Very nice folks over there.
:stupid: I agree, they are good people over at the S&W forum...

trashman
01-31-2010, 7:26 PM
Yep - most folks, including the good folks over at the S&W forum, don't usually have to "parse" all the damn legal language like we Cal-gunnies do.

I've had some folks at the Reno gun show balk at selling me C&R guns when they see the California address. It's not an accident that a by-product of the California laws is to stifle interstate commerce.

--Neill

GrizzlyGuy
01-31-2010, 7:34 PM
You might want to point them to this letter from our Attorney General (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf). Q3 & Q4 show that what you are talking about is legal. The topic is also covered here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Repair_and_Rebuild) in our FAQ.

Hopi
01-31-2010, 8:07 PM

You kids have it easy these days....imagine that it is Oct/Nov 2005 and you're calling nationwide and trying to convince hundreds of out of state FFLs to send in AR receivers....that should make your challenge seem a little less daunting.

:D

bodger
01-31-2010, 8:17 PM
You might want to point them to this letter from our Attorney General (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf). Q3 & Q4 show that what you are talking about is legal. The topic is also covered here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Repair_and_Rebuild) in our FAQ.

Hey Griz..the letter link came up a blank page for me after two trys.

ke6guj
01-31-2010, 8:29 PM
Hey Griz..the letter link came up a blank page for me after two trys.

link works fine, must be on your end.

scobun
01-31-2010, 8:33 PM
The mods over there are convinced they are the smartest people on Earth, good luck educating them. One of the reasons I quit playings over in that sandbox is all the experts on CA laws who live in places like Colorado and Georgia and haven't been wrong about anything since they fought in 'nam in '78.

DougJ
01-31-2010, 9:11 PM
The mods over there are convinced they are the smartest people on Earth, good luck educating them. One of the reasons I quit playings over in that sandbox is all the experts on CA laws who live in places like Colorado and Georgia and haven't been wrong about anything since they fought in 'nam in '78.

ROFL. I think I met one of those guys a time or two!

BigDogatPlay
01-31-2010, 9:57 PM

^^^This^^^

I've had the same experience. Mostly good bunch of guys but.... :)

bwiese
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I've posted under under leitung's post in that thread discussing the situation.

The wording and structure of leitung's ad certianly indicates he knows what the hell he's doing.

I'm hoping a *****slap is properly inferred by the mod.

Cali-V
01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
I think the thread got zapped...

bwiese
01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
I think the thread got zapped...

Yeah, Thiokol (mod) is kinda clueless. I tried to set him straight in a PM exchange but likely it screwed the pooch. Sorry, Leitung.

"What use could he have?" I was asked...

M. Sage
01-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I once was on the receiving end of a rant from a gun owner that insisted that all California gun owners that own any semi-auto firearm are in violation of state law!

You can, but the cure is not legal to administer in most normal situations.

leitung
02-01-2010, 2:49 AM
Thanks so much bill..

Looks like I screwed myself on that one..

I am going to RCGE tomorrow to see if Don and the guys can hook me up with a 4006TSW.

cineski
02-01-2010, 8:00 AM
S&W forum is owned by the same arrogant idiot who owns SIG forum (Mike Packwood, screen name Parabellum). He's an absolute buffoon. Not talking about the members who are mostly stand ups, but if the owner is such an idiot, then it usually trickles down to the people he hires to moderate.

trashman
02-01-2010, 8:08 AM
S&W forum is owned by the same arrogant idiot who owns SIG forum (Mike Packwood, screen name Parabellum). He's an absolute buffoon. Not talking about the members who are mostly stand ups, but if the owner is such an idiot, then it usually trickles down to the people he hires to moderate.

WRONG - Parabellum sold the S&W forum to a respected S&W dealer over a year ago. He's a good guy and not otherwise related to Parabellum.

--Neill

cineski
02-01-2010, 8:36 AM
Nope, he didn't sell it, at least from what I saw. He still owns it but someone else "runs" it. He still has administrative powers. If you can show me other info on this I'm all eyes. Once Para has his fingers in something, it usually stays molded for his fingers to get back into it.

bodger
02-01-2010, 9:05 AM
link works fine, must be on your end.

Thanks, got it now. Don't know what was up.

I belong to the S & W forum and I agree, good guys over there and very willing to share info and advice.

But it doesn't surprise me that this happened over there. I've seen some posts that were very critical of California gunnies.

Californio
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Nope, he didn't sell it, at least from what I saw. He still owns it but someone else "runs" it. He still has administrative powers. If you can show me other info on this I'm all eyes. Once Para has his fingers in something, it usually stays molded for his fingers to get back into it.

LEE is a Member of SWCA and thats why SWCA is on the forum now instead of the Yahoo Message Boards.

April 2009

Greetings......

....and Welcome Aboard. For more than ten years The S&W Forum has been a meeting place for S&W enthusiasts of all kinds.

You are viewing the greatest single resource for S&W shooting, packing, and collecting data on this planet.

Look around, and you will find a forum or two that will interest you.

This forum is intended to be a place where S&W shooters, collectors, and accumulators can gather to share data, experiences, and knowledge. All we ask is that you conduct yourself in a manner suitable for group interaction. We are a Family-friendly forum.

Guests are able to access all areas except the Classifieds forum.

Lee Jarrett
Owner/Admin

trashman
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

There was an announcement made by Lee once he completed the purchase; subsequently he made the decision to move the forum over to Vbulliten software (away from whatever Para was running).

I can't put my hands on it (probably got lost in the transfer) but the announcement was pretty clear from what I recall -- that Para had sold his interest entirely to Lee Jarrett.

--Neill

SteveH
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Yep. They dont believe his is going to sell the disassembled hicaps to fund the purchase of postban mags.

Californio
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I found my way to CalGuns because the Classified Section. It does not plainly list the Sellers State so one has to open every thread to see the State of the Seller. I asked the Mods if they could require the threads to show State (CA), (MA) in the thread topic, this was under Mike Packwood, Mods basically look down on States with restrictions, I was politely told to F off.

Besides that the vast majority of the members are very nice, the SWCA members are real Gentlemen and will bend over backwards to help you out.

dantodd
02-01-2010, 1:12 PM
Yep. They dont believe his is going to sell the disassembled hicaps to fund the purchase of postban mags.

Or hold them until the ban is overturned, or reassemble them with a block to create CA-neutered versions.

leitung
02-01-2010, 5:05 PM
Well I honestly do plan to sell the high cap parts out to fund 10 rounders, i honestly dont care if they believe me.

Whats funny is the 4006TSW has 11 round mags standard.. wtf does 1 extra round make anyway.. idiotic CA laws.

bwiese
02-01-2010, 6:25 PM
I had a PM go-'round there with mod Thiokol.

He just doens't "get it".

B Strong
02-01-2010, 6:32 PM

Holy Moses! LOL!

I've only had good experiences over there, but I'm only interested in Smith Wheelguns

Gray Peterson
02-01-2010, 6:33 PM
I had a PM go-'round there with mod Thiokol.

He just doens't "get it".

Does it get to the point where one has to send a letter from a California based firearms law attorney to these people?

cineski
02-01-2010, 6:42 PM
Good info here and thanks.

There was an announcement made by Lee once he completed the purchase; subsequently he made the decision to move the forum over to Vbulliten software (away from whatever Para was running).

I can't put my hands on it (probably got lost in the transfer) but the announcement was pretty clear from what I recall -- that Para had sold his interest entirely to Lee Jarrett.

--Neill

leitung
02-02-2010, 4:10 AM
Holy Hell, how did bill get banned?

bodger
02-02-2010, 7:52 AM
Holy Hell, how did bill get banned?

Yeah, that's got to be a joke. He must have lost a bet.

Cokebottle
02-02-2010, 9:23 AM
Yeah, that's got to be a joke. He must have lost a bet.
Religious thread went sideways.
8 casualties in 2 hours.
3 day temp bans

tuolumnejim
02-02-2010, 9:46 AM

I know the feeling, I had one guy that "knows everything" on another forum tell me my 1951 Tula SKS was illegal here. :D

wilshire1412
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
In my opinion most people in other states are hesitant to do the parts kit routine simply because it just does not make logical sense, like most of the laws in California.

Think about it, you live in Idaho where you can go buy any size magazine you want at any time and have no real interest in the legalities elsewhere. As a citizen of such a state you have heard a lot of gunshop stories about how everything is completely F'd up in certain other states and especially Cali where all the libs come from.

Some guy on the internet who you do not even know asks you to take apart your mags and send them so that they will be legal where he lives, you might just be hesitant too.